Build a soil top dress timing

I just ordered a bag of Build a Flower top dress from BAS. My plants are in 100% Fox Farm Strawberry Fields soil just transplanted about 10 days ago from solo cups into 1 gallon fabric pots, I’m running them until harvest in these pots. It is my first soil grow and next time I’m going to use BAS 3.0. My plants are currently just Starting Week 2 of Flower, my question is when should I top dress them? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks OGers! :pray::green_heart:

3 Likes

Anything you top dress with today is gonna take 3-4 weeks to be bio available into your soil and then it just depends on your microbes to do the rest. I’d assume you did an up pot and flip 3 days later? Def would have given them a solid week before that flip after u got them into new soil but to late now…

I also would have followed the suggested recommendation on the back of the bag under the section for “new containers” and mixed it directly in for the up pot since it’s not gonna be available for a few weeks anyways.

Usually a flower feed is started right at or couple weeks before a flip so even sooner would be better but ur also giving a very small window of veg time to work with

Any pics?
Is this a sea of green?
Are the plants sexually mature clones or start from seed?

4 Likes

I’ll get pics here in a bit I vegged them 45 days from Seed in 100% Coco solos, I don’t yet have the top dress, I just placed the order about an hour ago I’m assuming sometime next week it will arrive. While in the solos they were being fed MegaCrop 1 part. And yes I flipped them like 2 days after transplant which I knew wasn’t ideal, it was a hunt of a bunch of different strains to see which would be ran again but properly. That’s the reason for the 1 gallons, 1 have 7 plants in my 32x32 tent and didn’t want them to get too big in veg.

1 Like

Ah, I’m not sure my advice is gonna be suitable for your grow, I’m generally speaking for soil organics. If they been in a liquid feed regimen then I’m swinging in the wrong ballpark

I guess the grey area for me is if there is anything necessary for the transition from coco to soil

1 Like

Next run will be in 5 Gallon pots all same strain, and I definitely wanna do this whole organic growing growing thing right, I started my growing journey using 100% Perlite Hempy pots, but after 4 runs in hand watered hydro, the organic growing bug has bitten me and I’d like to figure it all out and stick with it. I know 5 gallons aren’t big enough for no till which I’d like to do but space is extremely limited atm. I’d definitely love some Grassroots beds when I have the room! Future plan is a couple 10x10 tents once I move next spring.

I know Strawberry Fields is coco based and the transition went well I’d say, I used some DynoMyco at transplant.

1 Like

May wanna build urself some soil up over the fall, here’s a link to my soil building shenanigans.

Doesn’t have to be bulk but I guarantee it will save some serious money and give you a larger amount to work with

I got a lil over a thousand gallons and I’m still always running out and plan to build more next year

1 Like

I kinda wanted to skip the whole soil building and just start off next run with BAS 3.0, same thing right? :pray:

1 Like

Maybe once I have more room I’m sure it would be more cost efficient, but I’m hoping for similar results with a bit less work

1 Like

Yes and no, I went the economy route. Cost me about 50 cents a gallon, buying from fox farm that 500 gallon woulda been 1250, I built it for 250 :wink: plus it’s nice having plenty of medium that gets nice and charged up better each time. Last auto grow I didn’t feed once with 55 plants start to finish

Apartment living sucks lol

1 Like

Haha just do what I didn’t and get ur hands on a cement mixer to do the dirty work

1 Like

That’s a good idea! No place to store all that soil tho lol

1 Like

Ah! Gotta! I got the thing for you to grow in even with ur tents to maximize ur space!!!

Looks like they are out on the 2x2 and 3x3 but might still have em available on Amazon. I use these half full for cilantro and smaller greens

Would be great for a no till setup in a tent, each square holds about 7 gallons but really only gotta put 5 in each to work out fine

1 Like

Those are awesome! Thanks buddy! Here are a couple pics 1 of the tent and 1 of the closet. Strains are:

Tent:

2x DJ Short BB x Skunk 1 (Irvine Tester)
1x Critical Mass x White Widow (Irvine Tester)
1x Chocolate Rain x Boss Hogg (Irvine Tester)
1x Skywalker OG x Chem 4 (Irvine Tester)
1x Strawberry Cough (Hazeman)
1x White G13HP (Hazeman)

Closet:

1x Purple Lush (Bodhi)
1x Super Strawberry Diesel (Hazeman)
1x Chem 91 x Sour Bubble (Tonygreen)
1x Grapefruit Socks (Dynasty)

2 Likes

Closet plants still need to be sexed

1 Like

Very nice! Those are looking good and a great lineup! Better hope that one in that back don’t stretch to crazy hahah

Really digging the custom solo cup tray! Haha

1 Like

45 days of veg and u didn’t see preflowers yet? They should tell ya by now!

1 Like

The closet plants were staggered they are only at Day 30ish 2 more weeks and I should know for sure! The big one in the back left of the tent is a BB x S1 and the tallest in the closet coincidentally was the last seed planted on 5/15 Purple Lush. It’s got Laos in it to its gonna be tall lol

1 Like

I have an ammo can that I use for Seed pack storage from Harbor Freight and its packed full of packs lol no shortage of beans here :grin:

2 Likes