Can we "Malenize" seeds?

i was thinking about… can we do the same process what we do to get some feminized seeds, forcing a female be herma.

we can do this with a male ? to get seeds wich give only male plants ?

:nerd_face:

Absolutely will work, when u take a female and reverse her the male chromosome is never present so resulting are all fems, well if u reverse a male and manage to get seeds then the female chromosome was never in that genetics, so yes the kids would all be males

1 Like

sounds great! Ever good have some healthy male seeds on the pocket, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks for the reply bud :heart:

1 Like

Yes, I think the chem you would use is called Ethephon.

7 Likes

The process with colloidal silver does not works for males ?

To each their own I suppose, not many breeders only looking for the boys in their work but not completely out of the realm of ordinary

No, silver disrupts the production of ethylene. Ethylene is what causes cannabis to make female flowers. Stop the ethylene and you stop the FEMALE flowers and end up with male flowers.

Ethephon becomes ethylene upon absorption by the plant, which would then cause an otherwise male plant (and thus naturally/initially ethylene free) to produce female flowers, but the resulting seed would get a Y from the Male->fem plant and then a second Y or a X from the pollen donor and would therefore be YY or XY both of which are male!

I think also 1/2 of the males produced would ONLY be able to make male offspring (the YY’s which don’t exist in nature) unless YY is a fatal/non-viable condition.

9 Likes

@Dirtron an Confirm YY is a fatal combo.

to the general question Lots of breeders self their males. Selfing is the fastest way to homozygosity. You need to inbreed your stuff for true breeding lines and consistency. There is an argument to be made for the breeder to make themselves a really recessive male. But that is lot of information to explain.

5 Likes

Thinking about it a bit more I mis-spoke.

From the Male forced to flower as a female you could get X or Y, (NOT only Y as stated in my post above :point_up_2:) and from the regular male pollen donor you could also get an X or a Y. So the possibilities and probabilities are:
25% XX- Female,
50% XY (or the equivalent YX) - Male
25% YY - Non-Viable

So after discounting the 25% that are YY and would not sprout or would would quickly die you are left with:
1/3 XX-Females
And 2/3 XY-Males

11 Likes

@Dirtron and @PetalPowerseed laying down some serious knowledge this morning, thank you for sharing and teaching! :smiley::+1::green_heart:

4 Likes

bud, your explanation rocks! thanks for this… everything is more clear now, but the study is just starting here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually reversing a male onto a male creates male and female seeds and super males (yy) that wont strike by normal means.

Edit. Just noticed dirtron explained it perfectly.

2 Likes

Shabud said in an interview that he reverses males and clones them smokes them then uses the best for studs

1 Like

a clone from reversed male will be herma, male or female ? :smiley: this world is brand new for me… software engineering looks more familiar and easy :stuck_out_tongue:

@Trowertripper i think i get it… he smoke the female flower from a male reversed clone, gets the stuff with the better smell,taste and appearence so chose that male to politnizate other females ?

genial!

a think about it… to take some clones, flip early to chose one mother but it will be done on to next cycle.
the plants i growing this time dosent have procedence… its a gift from a friend what get the seeds on your ilegal weed, so, i dont know the real pheno and strain so next time i will make the thing with more planning… this time i just want to start quickly!

1 Like

Its been done theres a research paper on it. Ethephon ph 4.5 turns into ethylene when ph goes up in the plant. I’m not sure if they made fertile seeds but basic science and truth table shows they wouldn’t be 100% Male.
Also forgot where I read full blown hermies are not just from mutant pgr imbalance but is xxy or something.

2 Likes