Canadian brothers and sisters, what're your favorite (Canadian) TV programs?

I like TV shows from other countries. I only find out about them if they show up on Hulu or Netflix. I love Murdoch Mysteries. Motive was a favorite. I can see them via torrent download. What are some other great Canadian TV shows?

1 Like

-Da Vinci’s Inquest
-Intelligence
Comedy: Trailer Park Boys, Hatching Matching and Dispatching, Letterkenny.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll look for them on the torrent sites. :thumbsup: I’ve seen a lot of foreign shows on Hulu and Netflix. I love them all. It annoys me when they stop getting new seasons. They only ran Motive’s first and second season. Murdoch only goes to season 8 on Netflix. :confounded: It’s a good thing I know where to find them for myself. :nerd:

Have a great Friday!
C50

Edit:

With your avatar, I’d have been disappointed if you didn’t mention that show. I didn’t realize it was Canadian. I’ll have to sit down and actually watch it instead of a few minutes here and there when the kids have it on and I am passing by. From what I’ve seen of it so far, They have a very bold comedy style. I like bold! I wonder if the actor playing Bubbles (that’s the guy with the thick glasses, right?) ever gets a sore throat from talking like that

1 Like

Well depends on what your definition of Canadian is, as A LOT of series are filmed in canada and BC specifically due to a tax credit/incentive.

Supernatural, Riverdale, Arrow, The Flash, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Vanhelsing, iZombie, once upon a time, Altered Carbon, Legends of Tomorrow, Dead Pool, Dirk Gently, The magicians, Supergirl, Lost in Space, new xfiles

All filmed in Vancouver and area.

Most don’t know it but ALOT of whats out there for bigger series is filmed here in Canada

4 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle, I had heard about the entire CW lineup is filmed in Canada when CBS moved Supergirl to CW because it is cheaper to do in Cananda. I’m referring to programming gems that we don’t or can’t get in the US. Murdoch Mysteries is only show on Netflix in the US and neither carries all the seasons. Motive was shown on Hulu for 2 seasons. Surely these aren’t the only 2 great shows that aren’t normally shown in America.

There is quite a bit from the UK that is regularly shown here. Much of Canada speaks the same language as I do and I’d like to find these shows to enjoy for myself. @Scissor-Hanz’s suggestions of DaVinci’s Inquest and Intelligence are also good examples. I’ll be downloading them later. You guys have got more good stuff there than most Americans give you credit for. :wink:

1 Like

Salutations Cobra50,

As it turms out i’ve cut my TV hours dramatically since last summer. Twisted realities and propaganda pop up everywhere including publicity time-slots… Briefly put it made me skip the news and more, but there’s maybe 1 show i can recommend as it actually informs me better on politics than any news prompter, French or English:

[ ici.tou.tv/infoman ]
InfoMan

For example that’s where Canucks of Québec as myself were reminded about Trudeau’s past actor performance in this province:

Which i found most revealing… While in here we talk about politics as if it were hockey quite too often. For enlightening socio-politics discussions though i prefer watching how French people do it on ONPC via TV5 (or YouTube too now), just get ready to press [ MUTE ] everytime the critics start asking self-serving “questions”!

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

1 Like

I am not Canadian, but…
I recently discovered a Canadian TV series that I found to be excellent.

Mary Kills People
As an ER doctor, Mary Harris is used to helping save people’s lives. At night, though, she turns her attention to a different practice. Working with her partner, a former plastic surgeon, Mary moonlights as an underground angel of death. Together, they help terminally ill patients end their lives on their own terms. Mary tries to fly under the radar with her side business – which she has managed to do for a while – but her secret career becomes increasingly complicated as business picks up. As her world starts to unravel, Mary realizes she has to fight dirty if she wants to keep the killing-scheme going.

I also enjoy Travelers…good time travel sci-fi.

2 Likes

Less Than Kind is a canadian series i think created and definitely directed by mark mckinney of kids in the hall fame. set and filmed in winnipeg its a comedy about a dysfunctional jewish family. couple of my old employees were extras in it.

Corner Gas was a pretty funny canadian series about a gas station and restaurant in small town saskatchewan i think. they recently rebooted it as an animated series now.

Packed to the Rafters is an australian family drama/comedy i used to watch. quite a few seasons.

Misfits is a british sci-fi comedy/drama about a group doing community service that get superpowers. this one was really good. only 4 seasons tho i think

2 Likes

I’m not Canadian but Orphan Black is well worth a mention.

1 Like

I am not Canadian, but, The Red Green Show.

Keep your stick on the ice.

4 Likes

Letterkenny!
It’s pretty funny

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, @Egzoset. That one has a side benefit of teaching me something about Canada. :thumbsup:

Cool, @Calyxander. Sounds like the kind of show I enjoy the most. :smile_cat: I watch Travelers too. I didn’t realize it was a Canadian show. You got great taste my man.

That’s 4 more to add to the list. Thank you much, @legalcanada . :smiley:

Than you, @FlippyNips, I’ll look for it. The title has a familiar ring to it, perhaps I’ve seen commercials for it on the Canadian shows I already watch.

Thank you, @99PerCent. I just did a search on the Red Green Show. It looks pretty good. I’ll these shows out. :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

That’s the 1st show to be brought up by different people, @Westcoast, @Scissor-Hanz mentioned it as well. I’m going to need to be sure to catch it. :thumbsup:

That’s a lot of good suggestions, folks. Those of you not Canadians, just shows more than just the intended Canadian audience enjoys their work. Give me some personal validation. :wink:

3 Likes

yea letterkenny used to be a youtube series it was pretty funny, ive never seen the TV show

2 Likes

There you go, another suggestion for LetterKenny. That makes that “must see TV”.

If we’re suggesting TV shows, I just have to mention the greatest TV series ever made. “The Wire”. The 1st season’s slow paced character development may deter some, but if you stick with, it you get rewarded. Based on true stories.

4 Likes
sure is
3 Likes

Awesome, @Scissor-Hanz & @legalcanada. I love a good drama, especially those that mirror the world we live in. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hope you guys had a good 4/20! I celebrated by making bubble hash using snow instead of ice and water. :smiley: Then I turned it into rosin. :yum:

3 Likes

I hope no one felt as though I didn’t like your suggestions. I’ve been too busy to watch many new episodes of anything. I usually have shows I’ve seen before playing while I am doing weed related stuff. That way I don’t stop what I am doing every few minutes to see what is going on on the show. I fully intend to get to every suggestion, in the meantime

@Scissor-Hanz & @legalcanada: I started watching “The Wire” this week. It is a great show! Thank you so much for the suggestion.

@Scissor-Hanz, I haven’t got to “Trailer Park Boys” yet. I’m bigger on dramas than comedies, but I have not forgotten it and will get to it when the mood for comedy strikes. I’ve downloaded all but the 1st season of “Da Vinci’s Inquest”. Season 1 has been trying to finish for more than 2 weeks. I hate to start a show beyond the beginning in case it is a show that builds on plots from past episodes, but I will if I can’t get season 1 after a few more weeks. I have found “Intelligence”, but the one I found is an American show. According to TV.com, it is not the same as the Canadian show by that name. :frowning: I’m still looking, but I am running out of sites to look.

@Egzoset, I looked at “Infoman”, Unfortunately, at 64 y.o., my high school French is far too rusty to follow it. Sadly, I looked to see it they have an English subtitle option but couldn’t find one. Thank you for the suggestion anyway.

Any other shows that have been suggested to me, I either forgot unitl I re-read this topic, or I am still trying to find or it is still downloading and I will let you know when I have gotten them.

Cheers :tv:

1 Like

I stream tv series from here. You have to be an expert in pop-ups tho.
https://dwatchseries.to/serie/intelligence

2 Likes

That is one of the streamers I use!

Also thanks for tip on Generation Killđź‘Ť

1 Like