Cannabis Current Events (Part 1)

With homegrown marijuana, a cottage industry is literally sprouting

Pretty much what I expected.

ā€¦

Florida recreational marijuana bill reportedly dead

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/04/08/florida-recreational-marijuana-bill-reportedly.html

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

They are making a mistake. It will be on the ballot in 2020 and it will pass; my guess is there wonā€™t be a 6 plant limit. Once that happens the courts wont allow the government to stop the will of the people. And the medical industry will crumble. The medical companies will sue the state and lose.

ā€œBig mistakeā€¦ huge.ā€

I agree that it would passā€¦butā€¦
Well, you are more optimistic than I am.
I have lived and grown in SoFla for 39 years now.
I have minimal confidence that Floridaā€™s elected officials care about the will of the people.
Look how they have bollixed up the implementation of MMJ, which voters strongly supported.

Iā€™ll just keep doing what I have been doing.

1 Like

The Florida demographic has really changed, very recently in fact, and that will factor in. Also a census will be done and that might have some big implications for years to come.

Overall I think most people in the state are tired of the government encroaching so much. They donā€™t want it to become California, and neither do the people that are coming here.

Its really a no brainer for both sides because the sales tax will help keep property tax low. And the no state income tax makes this a very attractive market for businessesā€¦

Only issue I see is that cannabis could become endemic in the region and just start growing wild all over the stateā€¦ thatā€™s my dream.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Grow ā€˜em if you got ā€˜em? Pritzker OK with some homegrown potā€”not basement farms

Edit: fix link

1 Like

The story thatā€™s been locked out of the mainstream media for 100 years!

1 Like

The link is dead? Maybe they donā€™t want you to grow after all

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know.
Should work now.

1 Like

The idea of limiting plants is so silly. It should be square footage if they really wanted to limit things. Now you have to grow 5 giant trees?

Legislators have no idea how things work.

2 Likes

https://www.app.com/story/news/local/new-jersey/marijuana/2019/04/10/new-jersey-marijuana-legalization-legal-weed-vote-phil-murphy/3401239002/

2 Likes

Andā€¦ the juvenile bickering continues in FL.

ā€¦

House pushes THC limit for smokable medical marijuana, but Senate isnā€™t going along

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-thc-medical-marijuana-limit-20190409-story.html

1 Like

Cannabis Futures Contracts May Be Headed to an Exchange Near You

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-11/cannabis-futures-contracts-may-be-headed-to-an-exchange-near-you

1 Like

@Calyxander Arnā€™t futures bought on the premise that the goods will go up in price over time?

Are there people who expect prices to go up?

1 Like

No, up or down. The contacts enable the hedging of positions or inventory as well as sheer speculation as to price direction.

Here:
Futures contracts allow players to secure a specific price and protect against the possibility of wild price swings (up or down) ahead. To illustrate how futures work, consider jet fuel:

An airline company wanting to lock in jet fuel prices to avoid an unexpected increase could buy a futures contract agreeing to buy a set amount of jet fuel for delivery in the future at a specified price.
A fuel distributor may sell a futures contract to ensure it has a steady market for fuel and to protect against an unexpected decline in prices.
Both sides agree on specific terms: To buy (or sell) 1 million gallons of fuel, delivering it in 90 days, at a price of $3 per gallon.
In this example, both parties are hedgers, real companies that need to trade the underlying commodity because itā€™s the basis of their business. They use the futures market to manage their exposure to the risk of price changes.

But not everyone in the futures market wants to exchange a product in the future. These people are investors or speculators, who seek to make money off of price changes in the contract itself. If the price of jet fuel rises, the futures contract itself becomes more valuable, and the owner of that contract could sell it for more in the futures market. These types of traders can buy and sell the futures contract, with no intention of taking delivery of the underlying commodity; theyā€™re just in the market to wager on price movements.

With speculators, investors, hedgers and others buying and selling daily, t there is a lively and relatively liquid market for these contracts.

1 Like

Not necessarily; it allows the buyer to lock in a price as a type of insurance policy against increase, but futures themselves donā€™t always go up.

Edit: @Calyxander beat me to it.

2 Likes