Cannabis Current Events (Part 1)

Well, well.
I guess this was inevitable.

Drive-thru recreational marijuana dispensary opens in Las Vegas

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/853702001

2 Likes

Hell yea, make him responsible for every thing he has said against cannabis since his election. He supposed protect citizens and enact laws “for” the people made “by” the people. He has done nothing resembling this.

5 Likes

@ryasco
He seems to exist only to thwart the will of the people.

I have been reading that he may be fired.

He deserves to be canned, only problem being, that his rumored replacements could actually be worse…Christie or Giuliani!
Gadzooks!
Sad situation.

2 Likes

that fat fuck of a whale from new jersey? yeah right that guys an imbecile

2 Likes

It sounds like they’ve already decided not to allow home growing. This law could be written by Big Pharma, I wouldn’t be surprised if they licensed only a small number of companies to produce it, like a dozen or less.

3 Likes

While it is most likely true that the law was written by big pharma. It is substantially better than being a pure criminal.
Sometimes it is better to chip away at a problem. I.E. decriminalization as a first step then medical marijuana, and then another step into legal recreational use.
I have a friend who has moved to Nevada. You are not allowed to grow at home there either with a couple of exceptions

1. You must be 25 miles from the nearest dispensary
  2. The strain of your choice is not available at said dispensary.
    So for further example if you want GG4 or GSC or stardawg you probably better not grow it at home because the local dispensaries are chock full of it, but if you “need” an old School strain such as Skunk#1 or NL5 it won’t be the trendy currently super popular strains at the dispensary and then you are Green Light to grow.
    I never once thought that we would be as close to universal legalization as we are now. All that has to happen is one small change at a time. And with the vast amount of money legal recreational states are pulling in with tax money, more states will join in with a building momentum. Then the federal government will have to join in with taxation. Which will put “home growers” in a position of needing a federal permit to do so, the untaxed unregulated growers will become the “new moonshiners”
3 Likes

Or you could exercise your right as a functioning, rational human and grow your cannabis. Nevada would go broke trying to inforce an imbecilic law like that. They can’t rush into every home checking every plant. I don’t think the citizens would appreciate such heavy handed law enforcement or allow it.

5 Likes

If it was a right then I would be excercising my right , hell for most of us it is not even a privilege. It is still a crime federally and in most communities to grow.

2 Likes

You assume the only rights you have are given to you, the only rights you have are the ones you fight for and refuse to give up. What is given to you are laws, rules, and punishment for disobedience.

4 Likes

(edit: info below on medical grows in MA is probably wrong, but leaving info so downthread discussion makes sense)

Man, and I thought MA was dumb with its 6 plants per person/maximum 12 per household. I’m considering seeking a medical card just because (if I remember correctly) that bumps you up to 25 plants in flower and no cap on vegging plants…

Here’s to hoping that these first steps push us towards rational laws in the future.

3 Likes

i think USA, like Canada, will have many of it’s cannabis laws decided by the courtrooms. there are already challenges to the new legalization in canada and it isn’t even in effect until next july. the governments will always refuse to do whats right until they are forced to.

4 Likes

That’s still better than WA. Legal recreational, but no medical and you’re not allowed to grow your own at all. At least until they figure out how they can make you pay for it.

4 Likes

Agree with Ryasco - don’t forget the number one reason prohibition is breaking down - people refused to comply with the law.

Personally I have a very simple rule - support and advocate for good laws, fight against bad laws.

Bill or referendums that ban home growing of cannabis are bad laws - they’re Prohibition laws. Many people in Washington state fought very hard against the shitty law funded by the oligarchs that banned home growing. Medical patients were told everything would be OK, and they were lied to. The medMJ program and protections were devastated. Many people have been prosecuted for DUI under the bullshit per se law as well.

As of today, Washington isn’t even close to “allowing” home growing. I disagree that a bad law is a step toward a good law. That is not how it works. The government tends to tighten laws and regs as time goes on, not loosen them. Just look at Prop. 215 in 1996.

Prop. 215 was wide-open full legalization of cannabis. Get a doctor’s order and it’s legal. Anyone can sell it, anyone can grow, no limits on possession, no limits on plants, no taxes, no fees, no mandatory registration with the government.

The oligarchs saw Prop. 215 as a serious wake-up call and ever since then they have funded and steered the movement towards locking down cannabis. Every law and referendum since 215 is more restrictive than the last. Mass. and Maine are rare exceptions, where the law actually pushed further ahead. This is because of very strong activist presence in both states. MPP had to back down and support better laws because local activists forced them to.

And look what happened. The state govts. in both states gutted the laws and made them weaker (happened in Mass., currently in progress in Maine). Cannabis that costs $400 per ounce, and no home growing, is not legal cannabis. In fact it’s almost identical to Prohibition, with a few politically-connected players taking all the profits. Goldman Sachs investors actually own all the dispnesaries in NY state and several of the ones in Mass.

4 Likes

I have not heard that. The law does not allow growing by default and says you have to apply for a special hardship cultivation permit to be allowed to grow. Several legit. patients have been busted for growing.

Question 4 says only 6 plants per person, but 6-12 plants is actually decriminalized - the only penalty is a $100 civil ticket. That’s why I refer to us as having a 12 plant limit. The law allows unlimited harvest and possession for home growers as well.

I think tax rates will eventually come down on cannabis, and that will only happen because people refuse to pay them and use illegal delivery services. I think “legalization” in California is going to be one of biggest failures of govt. policy since alcohol Prohibition.

5 Likes

Ahem. Yup, you’re completely right – I should stop getting law advice from people who are high.

3 Likes

Anyone? :robot::upside_down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPZ7CsnxDa8

1 Like

There’s more to the story - the DPH never started to issue “hardship cultivation permits”, they decided it was too much of a pain in the ass. Because of that, growing is techincally legal for all patients with a card. However, they never specified any limits other than 10 ounces.

So you might be able to argue in court that you are allowed more than 12 plants as a medical patient and get off. The problem is the police will ignore that and go ahead and clean out your house out & arrest you.

They never made a decision or policy to allow 25 plants. You could call the people at MPAA and ask them for the most recent news on this. Last time I talked to them, the cops had raided some guy on the South Shore with dozens of plants, arrested him, and the prosecutor arraigned him. They were getting him legal help to fight the charges based on the lack of “hardship” process at the DPH.

So it’s a mess. I wouldn’t worry about having more than 12 seedlings, but if you have more than 12 flowering plants I don’t think a medical card is going to be much protection from the cops. It’s BS, I know experienced growers who always have more than 12 plants just to make enough supply for themselves, because most of their use is extracts & edibles.

4 Likes

speak of the devil…

3 Likes

It is sad to see so called free Americans denied the freedom to grow cannabis without violating misguided and unjust legal restrictions.

NJ’s bill, as currently written, does not allow growers the freedom to grow their own weed.
What a farce.
Greedy states want to maximize tax revenues, thereby enhancing the black market.
Huh?
Counter productive maybe?

I am resigned to the fact that I will, more than likely, never be a legal grower.
No biggie though, because I have been growing only illegally for a long time.
I always have at least 25 to 30 plants for my indoor and outdoor grows. I will simply keep on doing what I have been doing.
All I really want is to be left alone, regardless.

6 Likes

Pot initiatives: Predicting the next 15 states to legalize marijuana

2 Likes