Cannabis Current Events (Part 1)

Reminds me of this old magazine cover.

5 Likes

apparently this guy was running a medical grow for himself and a few family members… as you can tell from the picture he only had 12-20 plants in flower but had a bunch of clones/seedlings so they’re calling it 200… they took all his genetics and some of his equipment but they left all his seeds!

he’s giving away packs of seeds for minimum $10 donation to try getting running again… he had to wait in jail for 2 weeks while his family got the money together to bail him out… his IG is @rob_geddy and @710_breeds if anyone is interested in helping him out or grabbing some seeds

7 Likes

Looks like he’s been erased from IG…

If he was doing this for his family, I wonder where the “authorities” obtained sufficient evidence to receive a warrant?

Also, I thought in Mass the penalty for exceeding the limit on the number of plants was simply seizure of the excess. Why jail? Was he selling the product of the grow or something (unlicensed)?

1 Like

yeah it looks like the charges were illegal cultivation and illegal distribution. i have no idea how the system there works but are medical patients legally allowed to give/trade/sell their medicine with other licensed patients?

looks like he’s fundraising for legal fees, it’s his third offense for distribution. $10 is a decent price tho, i wonder what kinda beans he’s got

2 Likes

Copied from the Boston Globe (not known for their accuracy) Massachusetts’ new pot rules:

Can I get in trouble for buying marijuana from an unlicensed seller?
Under state law, selling marijuana without a license is against the law. Buying it is not. So the seller takes most of the risk. Federal law is another matter, but few experts believe individual consumers will be targeted for prosecution.

How much marijuana can I grow at home?
You can grow up to six plants at home, or 12 if more than one adult lives there. You’re allowed to possess the amount harvested from those plants, even if it exceeds 10 ounces. You can gift your home-grown pot to friends, but you can’t sell it or barter it for other goods and services. Good news for would-be home-growers: The cannabis commission recently decided that retail pot shops can sell seeds and clones to consumers.

So no barter or selling unlicensed. Gifting up to an oz per individual is ok. Growing is ok up to a limit with the penalty being limited to the destruction of the offending quantity.

I’ll have to read the actually legislation as there may be a specific test for the quantity of plants exceeding a certain upper limit at which point it becomes criminal. Also, I thought there was a definition somewhere about what constitutes an actual plant, mature vs immature. Anyone have a reference on this?

Also, apparently, about half of the towns have banned marijuana retailers and cultivators at least until July 1st of this year (delay). He might have violated local ordinance for his town in this way.

I don’t know. Maybe someone with a more up-to-date understanding of the MA laws and their implications could chime in. Typical for the east coast is for any legislation to be full of holes and grey areas. Would like to understand the underlying situation more.

4 Likes

Ok, found him on http://www.pictame.com/user/rob_gebby/2115652167. Stuff to read…

2 Likes

damn yeah apparently an undercover bought 3 times, 14g each time, thats so shitty

1 Like

This is, at best, intentionally misleading.
Or, simply ersatz news.

Excerpt from piece below:
“Gosh, I hope some cops from a legal weed state like Colorado show up to explain that this guy is full of shit.”

4 Likes

All plants count toward the limit of 12 in Mass, it’s Maine that allows unlimited small plants. Town bans and moratoriums do not affect home cultivation or possession. There are no gray areas, more than 12 is criminal, so is selling without a license.

5 Likes

Please clarify, civil penalties are significantly different from criminal penalties. Per MA 94G (for personal use):

"Section 13: Penalties

(a) Restrictions on personal cultivation. No person shall cultivate or process marijuana plants pursuant to section 8 of this chapter if the plants are visible from a public place without the use of binoculars, aircraft or other optical aids or cultivate or process marijuana plants outside of an area that is equipped with a lock or other security device. A person who violates this subsection shall be punished by a civil penalty of not more than $300 and forfeiture of the marijuana, but shall not be subject to any other form of criminal or civil punishment or disqualification solely for this conduct."

“(e) Possession or cultivation of excess marijuana. Notwithstanding chapter 94C of the General Laws and until the import or export of marijuana to or from the commonwealth is not prohibited by federal law, a person who is at least 21 years of age and who cultivates more than 6 but not more than 12 marijuana plants or who possesses an amount of marijuana outside of his or her place of residence having a weight of more than 1 ounce but not more than 2 ounces shall be subject only to a civil penalty of not more than $100 and forfeiture of the marijuana not allowed by section 8 of this chapter, but shall not be subject to any other form of criminal or civil punishment or disqualification solely for this conduct.”

But, there are likely other sections that address numbers that are well in excess of 12 plants in particular when combined with sales and distribution, as it seems with the noted individual. So, I think there is some conflation going between the definitions for personal cultivation and selling cultivated MJ.

No gray areas? Haha, give it time.

1 Like

that civil penalty is for growing less than 12 plants in public view. More than 12 is criminal, in public view or not.

They can still charge you with distribution at any time if they want, if they think they have evidence. They will have to convince a jury your ziploc bags & scale mean selling.

3 Likes

Got it. Thanks. Would you happen to have the MA reference that I could squirrel away?

1 Like

here are some good links - the MJ law is now Chapter 94G of the general statutes

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXV/Chapter94G/Section7

CCC FAQ

https://mass-cannabis-control.com/documents-3/

http://norml.org/laws/item/massachusetts-penalties-2

they left some good of the stuff in there, I like these:

(d) Absent clear, convincing and articulable evidence that the person’s actions related to marijuana have created an unreasonable danger to the safety of a minor child, neither the presence of cannabinoid components or metabolites in a person’s bodily fluids nor conduct permitted under this chapter related to the possession, consumption, transfer, cultivation, manufacture or sale of marijuana, marijuana products or marijuana accessories by a person charged with the well-being of a child shall form the sole or primary basis for substantiation, service plans, removal or termination or for denial of custody, visitation or any other parental right or responsibility.

(e) The use of marijuana shall not disqualify a person from any needed medical procedure or treatment, including organ and tissue transplants.

6 Likes

Thanks @Muleskinner. The guidance documents are much more readable than the MA statutes :sunglasses:

2 Likes
8 Likes

Many propagandists must be exclamative today!

DP: Nearly 280 marijuana stores in Colorado suggested cannabis for pregnancy-related nausea, a new study shows. Health officials urge the opposite. (2019-May-9)

Now i didn’t read the article but imagine if it’s the right “bio” THC:CBD:CBN:Terpenes whaterver profile in a vaporizer instead…

4 Likes

If anyone knows me to be mistaken, please, correct me and provide your source. Each and every risk associated with ingesting Cannabis during pregnancy is specifically related to the smoke. Cooking on Woks and on Barbecues also have higher rates of medical issues that are typically associated with heavy smokers.

The problem i see with demonizing Cannabis use during pregnancy, is that it minimizes the real threat that morning sickness poses for some women. If you’re puking more than you’re eating or drinking, there are serious risks to you and your child.

6 Likes

Where are all the children born deformed from cannabis? Cannabis isn’t new, it has a long history of use and study. Just not by our government which is by their choice.

4 Likes

Herbal medicine, especially cannabis, is generally non-toxic. Brainwashing is needed to believe that something proven so helpful and healing to the body in so many ways could be harmful during pregnancy.

We are talking about the same govt. authorities and companies that dosed women with thalidomide in the 60’s while enforcing cannabis prohibition with police & jails, etc.

Thalidomide was first marketed in 1957 in West Germany under the trade-name Contergan. The German drug company Chemie Grünenthal developed and sold the drug. Primarily prescribed as a sedative or hypnotic, thalidomide also claimed to cure “anxiety, insomnia, gastritis, and tension”.[3] Afterwards, it was used against nausea and to alleviate morning sickness in pregnant women. Thalidomide became an over-the-counter drug in West Germany on October 1, 1957. Shortly after the drug was sold in West Germany, between 5,000 and 7,000 infants were born with phocomelia (malformation of the limbs). Only 40% of these children survived.[4] Throughout the world, about 10,000 cases were reported of infants with phocomelia due to thalidomide; only 50% of the 10,000 survived. Those subjected to thalidomide while in the womb experienced limb deficiencies in a way that the long limbs either were not developed or presented themselves as stumps. Other effects included deformed eyes and hearts, deformed alimentary and urinary tracts, blindness and deafness.[5] The negative effects of thalidomide led to the development of more structured drug regulations and control over drug use and development.[6]

6 Likes

Saragosa (a 73-year-old retired sheriff’s deputy) said the odor pervades his hillside home at night and keeps his wife up coughing.” …:laughing:

https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/wireStory/california-flower-town-wrestles-odor-amid-shift-pot-55061603

8 Likes