Cannabis Current Events (Part 1)

You’re forgetting about classism. Poor white people are treated differently than rich white people. You would have fallen in line if you stayed in the position.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Absolutely…I have been a victim of classism…

2 Likes

I see it anytime I have to go to court. If you cannot afford a high priced lawyer to represent you you get stuck with a"court appointed "lawyer. Who is often time a personal friend of the D.A and also employed by the state they are supposed to be representing you against…

3 Likes

i’ve used an appointed lawyer 3 times, they got me off every time! once for drugs.

i do agree americas prison system is fukt (private, for profit prisons) and there’s no denying a major disproportionate amount of minorities, but i think it’s a complex issue with lots of factors of which race is only a part these days. the title of the article is ridiculous though

4 Likes

Idk man, I don’t think they were trying to be hyperbolic, I believe it’s a fairly accurate statement based on the raw data. Nevermind the “rates of arrest” as that can be a little misleading at times. As far as actual number of arrests:

4 out of 5 people…

1 Like

Lol …my friends and family would laugh their ass off at that statement. I have an aversion to being an asshole and I have never fallen in line. Paid the price a few times but falling in line is not something I’m very good at. Most likely would have gotten fired or given some meaningless task.

You are correct… rich white people driving around in poor neighborhoods are treated different than poor white people in the same neighborhood.

1 Like

lol it’s absolutely hyperbolic. theres millions of black and latino people who have never been arrested for smoking weed. “being black” is not ‘the surest way to face marijuana charges’. stupidly carrying or smoking cannabis in public while being black maybe, but definitely not just being black.

I don’t mean to infer anything on your character, it’s not meant to be a snipe at you. The fact that you left is evidence that you’re not the type to fall in line.

It’s a statement about the way the job pervades your persona. As a “peace officer” you have to act in a certain way to be effective and keep yourself safe, and over time, the person you were is not the same person you retire as.

2 Likes

People that live in Canada are certainly welcome to sound off on what’s going on within the USA. Fortunately Americans like me who have spent their whole life here and 20 years fighting the racist criminal justice system will keep carrying on fighting the police state.

I’m proud of the leading the Massachusetts effort to decriminalize cannabis for about 8 years. Working with MPP we finally convinced George Soros to give us $400,000 for a referendum in 2008 and won, 65% to 35%, becoming the first US state to completely decriminalize cannabis possession.

Starting immediately in 2009, we stopped 10,000 criminal arrests per year, and every year since then. 80% of those people were black or latino, and as a white man I’m more proud of helping those people than anything else I’ve done in my whole life. It’s a disgrace that clean-cut white people like me are immune from marijuana arrest white they drag off dark-skinned people to jail.

5 Likes

Here comes the genetically manipulated weed - this could be a great reason to boycott the entire legal industry if it happens:

6 Likes
5 Likes

The Sunshine State dragging its feet.
Pathetic.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/wireStory/judge-decide-florida-ban-smokable-medical-marijuana-55220970

Redner’s marijuana home-grow battle goes to Florida Supreme Court

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2018/05/16/redners-marijuana-home-grow-battle-goes-to-florida.html

3 Likes

Did somebody say Folly Cove, Gloucester

6 Likes

To assume this much control over other humans is insane! How much oppression do they expect to inflict on the public before people just ignore them. No one can control every human in Florida. This law just exposes how little control they really have. How many people are NOT smoking because of the law? Our government is run by ignorant puppets.

3 Likes

he’s a legend!

…NORML has always thought that the right to cultivate your own marijuana is a basic part of our right to get marijuana legal and the reason it’s basic. If you have the right to grow marijuana, then if the industry that develops in a particular state fails to be responsive to the needs of the consumer, then the hell with it, you don’t buy their marijuana you just grow your own.

6 Likes

Here is an interesting perspective regarding this contentious issue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/marijuana-arrests-not-racist-article-1.3995770?outputType=amp

4 Likes

While 86% of marijuana arrests sounds bad when blacks and Latinos are only 51.4% of the population, the same imbalance exists across the spectrum of criminal activity. Based on victim reports, 84.7% of rape suspects in 2016 were black or Latino, robbery suspects were 93.4% black or Latino, and shooting suspects were 97.6% black or Latino.

If this isn’t racism then are they trying to speculate whites don’t commit crime and other races are predisposed to criminal activity? This article seems like a forced piece to try and justify wrong doing. Am i misreading the point the author is making?

2 Likes

Americans have seen our civil rights protections gutted since the 70’s so the government can round up the black and brown people. The 4th Amendment is gone. Squads of police cars show up a in black neighborhood square, grab and search every man in the area and it’s all perfectly legal now.

And we know what they do if you choose to run. 1,000+ Americans killed by police ever year.

4 Likes

instagram is going crazy… go search #NevadaCannabis

3 Likes