Cannabis Domestication, Breeding History, Present-day Genetic Diversity, and Future Prospects

Interesting and thought provoking article from Mr. Clarke. It’s interesting what kind of threat, for perhaps the first time in history, indoor propagation with idealized climate conditions of a dioecious plant is likely to have on outdoor varieties. I think we tend to take a lot of pride in our work, and most of us never consider open pollenation as having much viability toward our end goals. This conceivably becomes catastrophic to outdoor cultivation, as eager breeders take seeds bred indoors out on “strain hunting” adventures to share with farmers who do not share the same values in their cannabis populations (where things like pest and mold resistance may be highly important, as well as holistic uses of the plant including fiber and seeds).

Curious what you guys think. Are we unwittingly causing more long term damage than good to this plant we love? Are we stuck on a bad path due to things like government regulations and single focus on bud and resin production? Are there better ways that we can work with our plants to mitigate the destruction of feral cannabis and landrace cultivars?

This is something I’ve been thinking a lot about lately, and what I can do to help. One thing that comes to mind for me is an increased focus on continually reincorporating landrace genetics (as unworked as possible) into my breeding programs… with the idea that genetic diversity in our heirlooms is the only thing that may survive long term – And that each plant potentially offers something to the species that could be beneficial to it’s future outdoor survival. I’d prefer to be open pollenating everything and working my own “landraces” adapted to my area… but this is quite difficult since I am trying to stay in accordance with my local law, and it’s against any financial viability given the focus of the plant in the western market.

Cannabis Domestication, Breeding History, Present-day Genetic Diversity,
and Future Prospects

ABSTRACT
Humans and the Cannabis plant share an intimate history spanning millennia. Humans spread
Cannabis from its Eurasian homelands throughout much of the world, and, in concert with local
climatic and human cultural parameters, created traditional landrace varieties (cultivars resulting
from a combination of natural and farmer selection) with few apparent signs of domestication.
Cannabis breeders combined populations from widely divergent geographical regions and gene
pools to develop economically valuable fiber, seed, and drug cultivars, and several approaches were
used with varying results. The widespread use of single plant selections in cultivar breeding,
inbreeding, and the adoption of asexual reproduction for commercial drug production, reduced
genetic diversity and made many present-day cultivars susceptible to pathogens and pests. The
great majority of drug Cannabis cultivars are now completely domesticated, and thus are entirely
dependent on humans for their survival. Future ramifications remain to be realized.

CannabisDomesticationBreedingHistoryPresentdayGeneticDiversityandFutureProspectsPRINTVERSION.pdf (2.2 MB)

21 Likes

Interesting topic, thanks for sharing this.

4 Likes

I grow mostly old heirlooms and ‘landraces’. Most of the newer strains are all mutts of the same or similar genetics. Dominant genes in marijuana plants come from OG-Chem-whatever, skunk, and purple Afghan crosses from Mendocino. Many of these are tailored for indoor growing, and as such are inferior for outdoor growing. Another problem is that they are all bred for high THC and not for terpenes or bug and disease resistance. Nor are they bred for diversity. They are bred for consistency. Which Cannabis seems to do on its own. R. Clarke also mentions in his books that we are creating a cultivar that is resulting in more genetic females, as well as more hermaphrodites than would occur naturally in nature. In his book Marijuana Botany he says that the shift was 60% females and 40% males in the 1980s seed pool when that book was written. This seemingly is the result of growing sinsemilla and culling males, which leads to more seeds being produced by chance herms in the female plots. Also this is a result of intentional breeding using herms for creating feminized seeds.

Also we do not live in a static environment. Other factors are impacting Cannabis genetics. Most notably of late, legalization of marijuana is creating massive growing factories the size of square miles indoors. In those facilities are a low number of cultivars (mostly cloned) grown in massive amounts for human consumption. This is resulting in a gross centralization of production and a shrinking of genetic diversity. Diseases and pests are also mutating, or new breeds of pests and diseases are being introduced into cultivation. Case in point, broad mites have recently become pests on cane berries in the US. They can wipe out entire fields of blackberry cultivars in a few weeks time. Broad mites also have a voracious appetite for Cannabis plants. Broads can decimate entire fields of hemp and marijuana, or entire indoor grows in a matter of weeks unless they are controlled.

The issues I see are bottle necking of genetics, massive scale centralized growing, and external pests and diseases that do well in feed lot and cloned conditions. Consider the history lesson of the Irish potato famine. They had a clone of one spud from South America that they grew in Ireland. That led to an easy to grow food source, resulting in a spike in population dependent on the spud. Enter the water mold Phytophthora infestans, which kills leaves and tubers of that particular clone of spud. That led to an instant disaster on a global scale. We seem to be in a hurry to do that all over again with the likes of OG Kush clones growing in indoor grow factories being slapped up by the dozen as I write this post. Oh, and there is the oversupply issue in places like Oregon and Colorado. Too much of a good thing all of a sudden. Oregon growers face a looming price collapse in the industry this year from oversupply.

16 Likes

Great info Pancho!

You seem very knowledgeable, and I’m glad to hear that you’re passionate about this as well. As someone who is getting into breeding as a hobby and medical caregiving, do you have any advice on what I can do to be more “responsible” in my practice?

7 Likes

I think that all the indoor breeding in the last 50 years is not impactful on a scale great enough to irreversibly alter the genetic diversity of Cannabis sativa.

We are small humans who exist for a blink. Our greatest weakness is and always has been our ego. Human nature is to ponder on one’s impact in the world, with inherent subconscious bias towards belief in relevant interaction with this reality. We are the size of nothing in an infinite scaling system, existing for a blip of nothing in endless time.

Cannabis is not native to this planet, nor does Cannabis exist exclusively on ours. Cannabis is colonized throughout countless worlds and heralded by myriad cultures. The lineages are known well and the genetics are understood. Cannabis will always exist and will always be reseeded here. It is safe.

Obviously I write of times, events and systems which may as well be considered irrelevant to our short lives. As for discussion within the implied scope of this original poster’s topic, I assume the OP meant to encompass our last five decades of tinkering with populations indoors and, to me at least, it is implied that this “threat” of losing genetic diversity may affect those of us engaged in commercial agriculture involving Cannabis, or perhaps the world itself.

In this regard, I posit that we are still nowhere near any relevant genetic bottlenecks. These are brief points which I believe support my conclusion:

-Currently Cannabis is known to treat thousands of ailments effectively, and we have strongly correlated genetic expression of the Cannabis plant (ie. the oils and compounds harvested; terpenes, cannabinoids, other lipids, esters, etc.) to individual patient’s needs. Certain cultivars (or “strains”) or families of cultivars are well known for their specific effects. To offer an anecdotal example, I once had an older patient tell me that only outdoor Blueberry abates the incessant ringing of his tinnitus, and nothing else has. I am inclined to believe that a plant which demonstrates enough medicinal acumen to treat practically every ailment in such a broad, genetically diverse spectrum of peoples, is itself highly genetically diverse.

-Any grower who has grown out hundreds of clones in a diverse environment like the outdoors, or the same clones in multiple environments over time, will notice and attest to the slight variations in each plant which often occur. Ripening time, resistances, colour, flavour, potency, etc. all change from grow to grow, one end of the field to the other, region to region, all with identical genetic information. This demonstrates the immense and unknown depth of genetic adaptability Cannabis possesses; for example, the same cultivar, depending on light, water, and mineral availability in the rhizosphere, can choose to become male or female, become male and choose to grow female parts, become female and choose to grow male parts, or become a true hermaphrodite. A green plant can turn purple. A single plant can have wildly different concentrations in cannabinoids at harvest. Spectrum and temperature are known to play a huge role in the development of cannabinoids and terpenes. My belief it that we do not realize or comprehend the true hidden genetic potential of any single Cannabis cultivar (no matter how adulterated or bastardized the genes become), simply because we are all trying to “do it the right way”–within ideal temperatures and humidity and spectrum and intensity and air flow and lack of pests, etc. We are looking through a tiny pinhole and our “perfect”, ideal plants, and we are worrying about genetic diversity. But the truth is that this causes us to be blind to the deeper genetic flexibility Cannabis can exhibit. To illustrate this concept more clearly, please follow along on a theoretical example:

Each person on Earth plants 1000 OG Kush clones every day of the year. The environmental diversity (in geographical location, soil and microbes, water supply, sun exposure, climate, browser pressure, season, etc.) would trigger drastically different results, and it’s likely that we’d have low-THC MK grown in shady spots and harvested early due to rains–which would treat a different ailment and size of person very differently from a MK grown under 1150w Gavitas and left past peak maturity to create an abundance of senesced amber trichomes and the subsequent heavy narcotic stone.

Further, beyond the topic of producing colas for medicinal or recreational use, you could use cultural practices to produce unusually large volumes of fibre or leaf material. Instead of “doing it right” and using a Bloom formula and flushing to bring on the fade and allow fruit to set and ripen, instead you could just keep pumping in high Nitrogen Veg formula and creates huge volumes of leafy material. A real-life example is from a traditional indoor “fire” strain like Jacks Cleaner 2: this is renown to be hash-expert Bubbleman’s favorite hashmaking strain–but the Mendo Dope Boys didn’t want hash, they wanted a microphone stand, so they grew Jacks Cleaner 2 into a 22-foot-tall tree and produced an exceptionally long stalk with fibres that far exceed the length of the most productive hemp varietals. Think about the significance of that: An indoor boutique strain is still capable of producing exceptional hemp–so exceptional that it exceeds industry standards. What we tend to think of as “good gardening” and “bad gardening” is not “gardening” at all–gardening doesn’t exist; it’s only the name we give to our practices of applied genetic stressors and our desired and expected expression of those genetics. If each and every Cannabis plant and cultivar did not posses an immensely deep genetic potential, we would not be so widely successful in our endeavors with other’s seeds, regardless of their origin or background. You can take any seed and it will grow anywhere in the world people live–the resulting harvest is not strictly a “failure” or a “success”; for most of these ideas we have are based on what the plant should like in a jar before we smoke it. But you can grow Birthday Cake or GG#4 and harvest it perpetually for leafy greens while it is in a vegetative state. If this is the intention, is it not a successful grow? Or does the idea of someone growing Cannabis in perma-veg for culinary uses not sound like genetic expression, even though the genetic code dictates the plant’s reaction to such a prolonged vegetative growth (ie. late harvests in Alaska) or irregular light cycles (ie. a veg room with Mothers). Indica, Sativa, Hemp, Ruderalis. We divide Cannabis into those four groups, yet none of those groups adheres to any one genetic rule; Sativas and Indicas can ignore photoperiod, just as Ruderalis can be sensitive to photoperiod; but what we do as “gardeners” is find the plants we desire not to be sensitive to photoperiod and then call them “Ruderalis”. When breeders run trials, the plants which do not conform to our ideal plant are re-named and re-categorized, regardless of their true genetic makeup.

-Every Cannabis cultivation technique we have today emulates a different natural environment. There are the obvious ones like Peat+Perlite based supersoil mixes where you’re trying to emulate fast-draining fertile loam, and there are the less obvious ones like DWC with airstones which emulates a plant with roots that reach down into an underground channel/aquifer/river, receiving ample supply of oxygenated water. I mention this because, essentially, our ancestors were pheno hunting too. It’s obvious. They would plant in X location and get a shit result, then plant in Y location and get a better result. They were trying out different grow styles and systems. For sure these plants have been cultivated selectively by humans for millions of years. Where is the argument for current-day bottlenecking of genetics, or pre-1950s genetics being adulterated or misused? Do you think our ancestors didn’t have colloidal silver, whether naturally occurring or man-made? The past and our existing history of genetic tampering far outdoes any of this modern, 5-decade nonsense. Even with our accelerated cycles, we can’t come close to hitting even a millennium of influence. Arguing now that our selection process for taste or smell or potency is creating a genetic bottleneck is like arguing in ancient Egypt that growing in an arid desert is creating a genetic bottleneck. They don’t, they didn’t, they won’t. Cannabis has a gene pool far deeper than we understand, and we’re mostly blind to it because we are all obsessed with “best cultural practices” in our gardens.

I’ve already written too much. My friend is staring at me and kinda pissed we aren’t watching It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia right now. So I’m gonna cut this short. But I could imagine and invent and hypothesize a million examples and reasons for my beliefs. The bottom line is that Cannabis is a divine birthright. No gift of god may be tainted. Surely not by mere monkey men as us in a sneeze of time.

10 Likes

Well, in a rebuttal to the above, as encapsulated as I can make it?

Since 1970s, 98% of the landraces in Mexico and Colombia are now extinct. Mangobithce, Punto Rojo, Punta Roja, Santa Marta are gone from where they once were grown in abundance. The same has happened to Acapulco Gold, Oaxacan Highland, Guerrero, Jalisco, Michoacan and a dozen other landraces in Mexico. And the genetics are gone with them. Yes, some seeds survive from bag weed but that is a small percentage at most. The vast majority of what is grown there now is either Holland and California bred genetics. Also in Thailand, Greece and in Durban SA, 100% of the landraces are extinct. They do not exist there any more. In Morocco, 60% of the landraces have been replaced with Pakistani genetics now. The squeeze is on worldwide. And what is out there and being planted by most people and grown in the Cannabis factories or fields in Africa are genetics derived from crosses made in either California or Holland since 1970. At least 90% of the genetics available from seed companies are derived from those two places today.

Yes, Cannabis is diverse and if you plant the same strain in different places it will adapt, but… it cannot genetically mutate to adapt very fast. It has to use its existing genetic code and gene switching of existing genes to adapt. Which is why and how it adapts that fast. Which means we have a current bottleneck of genetics today mainly derived from those limited strains developed in California and Holland. Also GMO is coming to Cannabis. It has a plethora of pharmaceutical applications, and as such the powers that be (being BIG pharma) will tinker with the genes to create cannabinoids, terpenoids and terpenes that can be sold for a profit. Since Cannabis is wind pollinated, like corn is wind pollinated, any GMO tainted Cannabis plants will get into the global gene pool. Exactly that has happened with corn worldwide. Pretty much all corn seed out there now will have some variant of Roundup Ready genes in them.

Also having lived in several states now where medical and recreational weed is legal, the VAST majority of weed grown now for flower in these states is in HUGE indoor facilities or greenhouses. In California, one half of all weed sales is in the form of oil in cartilages. It comes in ‘sativa’ and ‘indica’ pens for the most part. Anything beyond that is oil called some strain that has added terpenes. Its the same with cigarettes in the US today, which have all the flavor and buzz added to the tobacco and paper. They tinker with it to give you a consistent Winston or Marlboro flavor with a consistent dose of nicotine. If you think that the marijuana industry will not go that same exact route, think again. Tobacco, big pharma and big alcohol are all investing heavily in marijuana. Also now that weed is legal on the west coast, not many people grow their own weed here any more. Its so cheap, why bother? Its like the 1970s again with $4 grams and $60 ounces. Whatever strain you want, fresh harvested and tested, right off the shelf.

My 2 cents worth anyway. As an aside, you should get Hulu. You can watch Its Always Sunny in Philly on there any time you want. Any and every episode is on demand. That’s what I do here anyway.

10 Likes

First off I just wanna say “it’s always sunny in Philadelphia” is the best show ever. Was unhappy with the newest episode though really wanted new content not a flashback episode. Ok back to the plant. I believe it’s great what your doing. Genetic preservation is extremely important. As we become more aware of the different medicinal values cannabis has we might lose some powerful medicine by looking over “landrace genetics.” I also believe that genetic diversity is a great thing and a failsafe against catastrophic crop failure due to pests. I do however believe that growing indoors is not bottle necking genetics. Cannabis has always been a human commodity. It has been proliferated across the planet not because it is a strong dominant pest resistant plant but because it has been cultivated and cared for by humans. Cultivation methods have changed over time especially recently but we have been changing the genetic makeup of the plant for centuries with breeding and cultivation. It’s always viewed as more “natural” to grow plants outdoors but even when farmers do they are not growing the plants in soil they would normally be in and at different climates. These plants evolved a long time ago when the world was different lots more humidity and co2 so maybe growing indoors with 60% humidity and 1500ppm of co2 is more natural for a plant than growing outside in 30% humidity and 300ppm co2. Maybe plants that produce better under indoor conditions are more natural than ones that produce better outdoors because of environment so maybe those are the ones that should be preserved because their traits line up more with plants that would be growing hundreds of thousands of years ago. It’s all very interesting to think about by my vote is to save all the genetics. Who knows what strain will make the biggest impact so let’s search em all.

2 Likes

This post was flagged to be moved to #smokers-lounge and I agree. Are we still in Breeder’s Lab area? I mean #breeders-lab is meant for science related discussion and the quote looks like having roots in some sci-fi.

11 Likes

some dumbass “breeder” made a low production value Netflix flick called “Starleaf” claiming aliens brought the marijuana and we were never supposed to have it…

it was one of the most ridiculously written pieces of garbage I’ve seen in a long time and it was all for the sake of selling some pollen chucked strain they created, while at the same time, setting the cannabis community back 40 years on account of “alien weed” making us all look like they described smokers in “Reefer Madness”

put the blunt down, dude… you’ve had entirely too much

16 Likes

For those that do not believe that growing indoors has created bottle-necked genetics, let me share one example of what has happened after growing Cannabis indoors in the US for the past 40 years or so. According to many, including Kevin Jodrey, owner of Wonderland Nursery in Garberville, CA (he is all over YouTube lately and you can confirm this yourselves there), growing indoors has resulted in a massive reduction in terpene profiles because indoor growers wanted to reduce the stink that ripening Cannabis creates. Hence the terpenes have been greatly reduced or even eliminated as a result. Case in point, skunk weed. People are trying hard to recreate the stench of late 1970s skunk from Northern California. I know of many growers in Oregon and California trying to resurrect RKS. Yet they cannot seem to get there, no matter how hard they try or what strains they breed. RKS seems elusive. Yet back in the day in California, skunk weed was pretty common. Skunk was all the rage. But growing and carrying around bags of stinky skunk weed typically got people busted. So skunk became de-skunked over the years and remains so to this day. I believe it was David Watson that is credited for breeding the skunk out of skunk weed in Holland. Quite intentionally. So that terpene profile is gone now. This one example also shows that we simply cannot go back to earlier genetic profiles using newer genetics. Once the genes are bred out, they are gone.

10 Likes

I predict a comeback of RKS. Ground zero will be somewhere among the coastal islands of BC.

3 Likes

I know Bodhi has been trying endlessly for years to bring back RKS… the selections he has, and those that are still out there, have an extremely high herm tendency, probably due to only being able to find RKS in old bagseed, in grows that had hermed.

3 Likes

Ok, well I agree that what I’m talkin’ about is out there. Haven’t seen that poorly written Netflix thing you were talkin’ about. Just read a bit about the Dogons in some old books.

Anyways, thanks for listening though. I agree that discussion here ought to stick to proven science. I get that. Wasn’t thinking that at the time, but yeah, I get what you’re sayin’.

I’ve listened to all of Jodrey’s talks, and he’s right about the bottlenecks in relation to PM and other pathogen resistances. Yes, those qualities of resistance are bred out in a lot of the indoor strains. I am just of the opinion that Cannabis has a deeper gene pool than that, and like Kevin Jodrey explains with his explanation of historic cannabis genetics using “ripples”, I simply believe that those ripples are much broader than the 10-15 years he arbitrarily used as an example in one of his videos; I see a lot of confirmation bias in what he talks about in regards to bottlenecking–most of his conjecture is based on his subjective experience smoking imported cannabis from his youth, and since those genetics are not prevalent in today’s marketplace, he has made some rather large jumps in assuming that the genetics are lost.

I’ll sit back and let the more experienced breeders comment. I have a lot to learn.

3 Likes

Funny chit chat ^^

I see very often the card of the open pollination played in the game of the preservation, as an “full included” joker. I firmly believe than it is absolutely not the case for us, ganja lovers. Technically but also for the grade of the weed itself.

Technically because you let the most deleterious specimens take the hand on the line, and by extension you will suppress mathematically a lot more expressions this way, than with a solid methodology. This process streamline the line worked with a cascading pressure of selections : surviving seedlings, specimens the more compatibles with the soil balance and PH, pest & disease resistance etc … to the physical inherent quality of each grain of pollen, the shape of the staminates and the seed’s production performances of each females.

All of this incredible pressure, in an uncontrolled panel of specimens. No, preserving a strain is not throwing an hand full of seeds in the garden and let it grow. It’s how you will destruct and wash to the bone its specific genotype faster than light.

I will give now the first time the leitmotiv of my whole post on this subject : long term works and methodologies are the only ways. The only one real cheat existing today is GMO engineering, but by the nature of this practice, it’s focused mainly on genetic markers only. So limited in a tight spectrum of actions, and it that’s the goal also. You can modify a little portion of the code to create a leverage on the genotype, but you can not breed a sequence.

To stay the hands in the dirt, you will not create a red-spider-resistant strain in proceeding by open pollination, specially if the line at the basis is not resistant. Do it with a Soma’s Rockbud, well known for that, and you will end within twos generations with only an eighth of the starting global genotype. If you’re lucky with recessive phenotype, and if you just don’t lost the line which is more decent in term of probability.

If you let mother nature work, she will barely extinguish you. It’s why agronomy was our very first fight against her.

I’ve to split my reactions in sequential posts, lack of time ^^ See ya later for the next quote lol

7 Likes

Did man’s creation of myriad domestic dog breeds do anything to bottleneck the wolf gene pool? Where I live, wolves still thrive. In many parts of the world, they don’t. This is due to one factor; they have been eradicated in some parts of the world and not in others. All places have domestic dogs, but this does not influence the wolf populations whatsoever.

If cannabis farmers are actively eradicating their local landraces in favour of growing more profitable “domesticated” strains, then this certainly is reducing the local gene pool of that specific strain. However, this has zero natural effect on the gene pools in distant lands. The eradicated genes in one area would have never mixed with the gene pool in a distant land anyway - so the distant gene pool suffers zero impact. It was only humans who brought the landrace strains from far and wide and mixed their gene pools to produce the huge variety that exists today.

So we can have our Shi-Tzus and Dobermanns, lets just not kill all the wolves.

7 Likes

I think the point Clake is trying to make is that Cannabis, specifically drug cultivars, has been domesticated. That is, cannot exist without our cultivation.

A lot of these lost strains has to do with the government’s attempts to eradicate the plant from the planet. Growing indoors was only done because of prohibition.

As re-legalization happens I believe we will see more variety in the gene pool as fields can be grown. Imagine what breeders can do for seed or fiber production if they dont have to worry about keeping THC levels low.

Another thing not taken into consideration is mutations over time. That is, after all, how the plant came to be in the first place. Whether this comes naturally from large populations or is done with technology like CRISPR, new genes can be “added”.

7 Likes

…and now that Canada is legalized, growers don’t have to keep the smell down - so they’ll be grabbing those old stinky seeds they have tucked away and trying to germ them. This is precisely why I think we will see the return of the true skunks like RKS sometime in the next few years. I find it very hard to believe we have lost them “forever”.

5 Likes

This notion that we can just pop old beans is folly. Old seeds do not germ unless they were kept frozen or just above freezing and super dry. Few if any actually did that. Most bag weed seeds of old have gone bad now. Also DEA funded Paraquat/dioxin spraying wiped out a lot of SW Mexican landrace strains in the late 1970s, as it is doing to coca and cannabis in Colombia now. Similar eradication efforts wiped out the Thai strains once grown in the highlands of Thailand. But the main element that wiped out the landraces and cultivars in many parts of the world was and is the replacement of local indigenous strains with imported Dutch and California bred strains. That has happened in Mexico, Colombia, SE Asia and Africa. Other examples are the cases in Morocco and Durban SA, where local Moroccan strains are being replaced with imported strains from Pakistan, and Durban strains have all been replaced with Swazi strains. As I said before, these landraces AS CULTIVATED LANDRACES are now gone. Some examples do survive, but they are few. And as such, the genetics are bottle necked at best as a result of extremely limited quantities.

Meanwhile some wild strains do continue to exist, but mainly with C. ruderalis in the Eurasian steppes, and C. indica strains in places like Afghanistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. They self-sow there on their own. It also remains wild in some parts of India, and even in the Midwest US where hemp was grown during WWII. Also hemp strains remain, but they are selected for fiber and seed genetics, and not for flowers or cannabinoids/terpinoids. Sadly many of the more recent cultivars and strains are gone, like RKS, Northern Lights, and Blueberry, and even GDP. Some claim to have them, and many seed companies sell them as such, but most do not pan out to be anything like the original genetics. In the case of marijuana strains, S1 and IBL lines are named the same as the parent strain. Also anyone can claim that any seed is from a particular strain. Whether it actually is or not is not possible to verify in most cases. Even Phylos Bio has issues with validation of reference strains. What benchmark genetics are used to compare the others to?

5 Likes

Can you expand more on where you think this is all going (really long term), what problems this will cause, and what you think the solutions are?

1 Like

Well open pollination will by design contribute the most diversity, true genetic preservation projects deliberately keep all genes as its not known which will be “useful” in future. These projects normally keep even “runt” or “bad” specimens to avoid phenotype selection (selecting for regional adaptation)
Take my hash plants as example, I kept the runt because when I send seed to others in dry, hot climate it may be the best plant

The landraces we know came from selection for visual traits etc. they are the most diverse genepools known, they survived all sorts of conditions. The “deleterious” genes are what allow this, they are not something to be ashamed of unless from capitalist point of view selling seeds
all traditional seed saving techniques use open pollination as the basis

Go get some heirloom seeds, more than likely they were open pollinated, at least withing their peers/family.
Most vegetable breeders advise at least 100^ plants open pollinated to preserve a lines genetic code, any less eventually ends in bottle-necking and eventual failure
(^changes for species but 100 is good guideline for outward pollinators like cannabis)(10,000 min for corn!)

When you buy heirloom seeds you grow them and save seed and slowly adapt them to your particular environment. It is only in recent history that we started doing it different. mostly with the industrial revolution for combine harvesting etc. we wanted standardised plants

I really don’t advise fighting mother nature, having experienced 3 near death experiences at the hands of the sea, its not a fight you will win.
Better to work with nature IMO.

6 Likes