Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome

Also, and FYI… systemic pesticides can travel with clones, and end up in seeds as well… So even if you never used pesticides, if the plant the seed came from, or the mother plant the clone is from had a systemic pesticide, there is a very real chance that it could end up in yours.

"

Unlike other pesticides which remain on the surface of treated foliage, systemic pesticides are taken up by the plant and transported to all the tissues (leaves, flowers, roots and stems, as well as pollen and nectar).

The most common are Neonicotinoids and Fipronil (neonics), which are a class of neuro-active, nicotine-based systemic insecticide. These were developed in 1991 and brought into commercial use in the mid-1990s.

Products containing neonics can be applied at the root (as seed coating or soil drench) or sprayed onto crop foliage. The insecticide toxin remains active in the soil or plant for many months (or years), protecting the crop season-long.

Neonics act on the information processing abilities of invertebrates, affecting specific neural pathways that are different from vertebrates. This makes them popular as broad-spectrum insecticides, as they are considered less directly toxic to vertebrate species including humans.

These systemic insecticides have become the most widely used group of insecticides globally, with a market share now estimated at around 40% of the world market. Common compounds include acetamiprid, clothianidin, dinotefuran imidacloprid, nitenpyram, nithiazine, thiacloprid, thiamethoxam and fipronil, with global sales of over US $2.63 billion in 2011.

The market for seed treatments is expanding even more rapidly, growing from €155 million in the 1990s to €957 million in 2008, at which point neonics made up 80% of all seed treatment sales worldwide.

Neonicotinoids are still toxic even at very low doses. They have a high persistence in soil and water, remaining in situ for months on average, and this results in sustained and chronic exposure of non-target organisms, such as invertebrates. Because they are relatively water-soluble, they run off into aquatic habitats easily. Growing concern about their connection to bee colony collapse disorder has led to restrictions on their use in EU Countries. Concern about their impact on other non-target species including birds, has been growing for the last five years.
"

3 Likes

In terms of what causes it. THC traditionally has anti-mimetic properties. But CBD and CBG have the opposite effect in some people. The exact mechanism remains unknown… Even weirder that hot showers help alleviate the nausea which points to body temperature regulation in the hypothalamus but they aren’t sure… Yet more reasons we should have never stopped exploring cannabis as medicine in the first place. We know more about the moon than the 400 chemicals in cannabis.

7 Likes

another odd thing is symptoms usually take years to develop after years of daily chronic use… it sounds to me like some sort of toxin is being built up.

2 Likes

Well your body changes how it responds to anything over time.

Allergies that you had as a kid and don’t anymore or vice versa. That same bowl not getting you high anymore. Changing from hating how cigarettes taste and what they do to you to not being able to live without them.

So it doesn’t necessarily have to be a small toxin that isn’t dangerous at small doseage.

I believe it to be a thing and a good explanation is with the rise in marijuana becoming legal is bringing about more smokers. So if a baseline percentage is susceptible over a sample and that sample increases then obviously there is more reports. Cannabis today I hear is also a lot stronger. Hell, even the last 14 years that I have first hand experience with cannabis increasing in potency. That may be a factor as well.

6 Likes

The only time I knew anyone to vomit on Cannabis was when he smoked a blunt that had been left out on the ground in the rain for a few days… He was an avid smoker otherwise without issue.

One of my old school friends used to vomit everytime he smoked too much.
he would whitey, vomit a lot then be ok, just assumed it was the body doing its thing

3 Likes

I primarily use vaporization, but I do know that swallowing smoke does it too

3 Likes

this should be liked more

2 Likes

That sounds like vasovagal syncope to me. Pretty common and different people have different triggers. Did he ever faint? Or have to lie down because he was dizzy for a minute? Did he sweat profusely during the white spell? I had my first experience of a cannabis related vasovagal response when I hot boxed a car with 5 friends with 5 blunts. Got a really bad stomach ache for a few minutes (but not exactly my stomach) started sweating a ton, went white, got a little dizzy, and had to get out of the car and sit down outside. I have had 4 other vasovagal episodes in my life but none of the others were cannabis related. In fact the cannabis seems to keep my anxiety away enough where my stress levels stay low enough and I don’t have this happen to me anymore.

2 Likes

I never claimed it would. But a healthy plant will be able to fight off pathogens.

An interesting study on the pesticide residue in cannabis smoke:

Don’t know if this has anything to do with CHS, but there are theories around pesticides having an influence.

Sample/residue % Recovery
Water pipe with filters
Diazinon 0.08
Paclobutrazol 10.2
Bifenthrin 9.00
Permethrin 10.9
Cotton filter
Diazinon 24.9
Paclobutrazol 30.1
Bifenthrin 26.6
Permethrin 25.1
Carbon filter N/A
Water pipe w/out filters
Diazinon 42.2
Paclobutrazol 49.5
Bifenthrin 45.4
Permethrin 59.9
Glass pipe
Diazinon 61.5
Paclobutrazol 67.4
Bifenthrin 60.3
Permethrin 69.5

3 Likes

Nice find. This is a very telling study. I took away two things.
Growing your own is the only way to know what is in the flower, and cotton filters on pre-rolls. :+1::seedling:

4 Likes

Most certainly would have a greater level of confidence. Now, it would be nice to see this extended to some other commonly used (the approved ones) pesticides. In particular since it seems there are a number of “safer” alternatives some of which have been under suspicion of adulteration.

I was surprised at the percentages. They were, as far as I can tell, applying the pesticides on already harvested product so in real-life the actual residuals amounts on the plant material may have decomposed to some extent. But, for anything that is remaining, it appears that the intake of pesticides is not readily decomposed by the heat of vaporization. The transfer of the pesticides, to you or I, is much higher than I would have initially guessed.

Scary.

1 Like

Pesticides, herbicides, and mildew are rampant in the black market because Quality Control is non-existent. By the time it travles from the growers to the end user, everyone has taken their greedy cut of the product. I always find trichomes mysteriously harvested if I ever buy more than a quarter and cat hairs from people running without HEPA filtration. Just inviting all the parasites, mites, and unmentionables from within your house into your grow… disgusting. Bud that came in contact with rotten buds… the list goes on

All that being said, I can’t wait until I can launch my first project to supply myself with medicine and seeds to share with OG. :confused: Grow your own!

4 Likes

Tell me about it. I can only imagine what was in all that Mexican brick weed I’ve smoke my whole life.

4 Likes

Brick Mexican Sativa? At least it comes with hundreds of seed - of questionable viability. Were they mostly crushed?

1 Like

Over the years, it varies from batch to batch.

Last batch I bought was about 9 years ago. By then they were mostly broad leafed varieties and hybrids. I do have a few of those seeds, they came from a bag of “tennis ball green” buds.

The old Mexican Sativas are about all dead.

1 Like

I suppose youd have to go back twenty years for those seed. I am sure there are some old school tokers with a vault full. Just wish they’d make their way to OG and shoot me a PM. Haha.

talkin about the brown/black stuff?

Are you asking how to identify Mexican Brick Weed?