CFL closet - Round 2

You’re gonna LOVE it!

I too have 25 or so cleats (screw in sockets) and plan on using them somewhere™ lol.

1 Like

rofl. Can’t wait! Two rounds with the CFLs was great - learned a ton.

1 Like

Put them into flower 1 week ago today- Last CFL grow- Can’t wait to get a solstrip setup going, would be hitting all that lower area, etc.

The “cupping” of the leaves- is that the plant reaching for light? CFLs get pretty hot- i have raised them a tad higher than usual a few days ago.

All from seed. ended up with 6 females and 1 male.

1 Like

Also topped the soil with some diatomaceous earth- saw one gnat and said nope not this time. thats what all that white is… stuff is messy but effective… living in alaska rainforest, fungus gnat is really the only pest related issue i have had to deal with.

1 Like

The leaves appear to be fairly straight, but are stretching upward, which is a good sign.

Nice work.

3 Likes

Appreciate that 99. As always.

2 Likes

You will hear growers referring to this as “praying” sometimes.

It is also associated with stretch, I think.

4 Likes

Mods feel free to move this to grower diary forum (that way i will get my badge :))

no worries either way.

Easter update- 14 days into flower:

Again- looking good. Added some kelp-based plant food this grow- Can’t complain…Had a few rough clones take root so I’ll be sliding a couple more in after i veg them a bit (if i can fit them somewhere, lol) Luckily we are starting to get our longgg days here in Alaska so I can basically solar anything veg until it’s ready to hit the flower room (still on this single-room setup so being able to veg/flower rotation, even rough, is great).

Thank you guys for all of the encouraging feedback through my first couple of grows with these CFL lights. It’s been great and have learned a ton- I actually appreciate this very much because now after having done a couple of CFL runs, moving to LED that much more appreciated and ‘wow’ factor. And I actually have some identified genes to throw under them now :slight_smile: !!

Happy Easter

edit: i took that picture RIGHT after the lights came on so temps a little low! (usually rop down to low 60s at night right now because it’s still frozen outside)… Sits at about 75 during the day… I would reverse the light cycle to better offset those temp variances and have them on at night but then i would have to do my gardening while i usually sleep.

Here’s my ‘rough’ clone vegetation area :slight_smile: it works (probably getting better light right there than my closet):

I still put them under a small LED at night because we aren’t getting 24 hours of light quite yet…3 of those cuts are doing great… Even was able to root one of the “tops” i cut… with nothing but a small nub to work with… took almost a month to finally root. Good times… Going ot look back on this and say man, I’ve come a long way…Love being able to log it all here.

3 Likes

28 days into flower- alaska sunbathing this week… getting ~5 hours of intense light / moving back & forth between the CFL closet… Looking great, imho.

5 Likes

Also- saw some shoutouts so i want to drop some karma on @99PerCent - 4/6 of those are his babies <3

Made a batch of pure pre-flower trim butter last night… it’s quite amazing to me how powerful that stuff turns out… Would have never even tried something like that hadn’t someone pointed it out… Already enjoying the fruit.

Roughly ~2 ounces of trim per 1/2 lb of butter… very green but goes GREAT in say, a cup of chamomile tea, just dropping a chunk in… very herbal taste with heavy medicine.

1 Like

Hey man i was thinking i might try a couple LED screw ins to give the flowers a boost… Any recommendations on what exactly to look for? My plan was to just look at spectrum (roughly 3500k), lumens, make sure they aren’t dimmable, and go from there at Home Depot… Any specific recommendations beyond that?

Don’t want to spend much as i already have plans in place to fully upgrade my house and install high end lighting this summer- but for this crop , something budget i can just swap a few CFLs out for?

Thanks in advance.

the Philips 8w or 14w soft white “2700k” non dimable bulbs, there around $3 to $6 a piece respectively, the 14w being around 1500 lumens and the 8w 800 lumens. The daylights are 5000k for reference

Then just pop the domes off and point them at your plants, as you get more efficiency that way, as your light is now in that standard 120-140 degree arc that leds emit at instead of near 360 with the dome on.

2 Likes

Thanks!
Yeah- Was planning on doing that… Picked up some molasses and FF nutrients and decided not to buy ~$30 worth of screw ins at this point because i’d rather apply that money to the new room. Bookmarked your micro grow thread with the visuals of you taking apart those bulbs though… will likely use some of these screw in fittings in the future like that.

37 days into flower:

2 Likes

Some of the buds are getting pretty nice and fat for CFL. Very happy with how they responded to the organics.

Starting to get REALLY EXCITED to smoke this stuff- went organic this time and the difference is showing big time (smell especially).

Mostly random mixed high end bagseed with what I believe to be “Can of Hammers” on the far right).

Getting pretty close- couple more weeks i think and I should start pulling them. The\ one on the far left is barely able to even hold the bud weight at this point and ive had a fan on it since it popped out the seed. Using wire ties to hold it up, lmfao.

6 Likes

Had some very staggered germination issues so plants are maturing at different rates

Week or so:

Couple weeks:

A bit to go: (pretty sure this is c99 x romberry)

2 Likes

@spillz907 great results with those CFL’s…I know a grower who grew with CFL’s… did very good… then switched to those LED’s bulbs when they got cheap… his results got even better…

2 Likes

Next grow is full LED :slight_smile:

VERy stoked. Really glad i did two runs with CFL though… made me hustle to get even avg. results and learned a ton

1 Like

Ok
visual update (god… nothing is even in focus… at least you can see the combs)

Can of Hammers (still a bit to go):

Might as well be mixed seed because i messed up the labeling (good stuff though for sure):

wish this had better focus because its still has a bit and love the smell- grapefruit

small ones (didn’t think all seeds would pop, used containers i had, clones will get bigger pots)

Cant wait to see what i can do with some LED

4 Likes