Changing light spectrum mid-flower

Hello everyone :wave:

I was curious, I had mentioned it on one of my posts, but it may be better in its own thread?

I had gotten some more powerful lights, and I wanted to know, of I were to switch the light spectrum drastically on this plant mid-flower (almost 3.5 weeks in), would it cause alot of stress to the plant? Specifically possibly enough to make it hermi.

It would be going from a full spectrum, to one of the red/blue +white +IR +UV lights.

Just super curious as I can’t find alot of information anywhere on the subject. I could just be using incorrect wording/terms in my search
Thanks all :blush:

2 Likes

The plants will adapt, saying that they possibly will just stumble for a bit if it’s a big change as they have allready grown accustom to your current lights.

3 Likes

I would be careful with that. It’ll def cause a bit of stress. They react to intensity and duration. If you could possible slowly move the newer in to help transition.

2 Likes

Now if healthy and you start off at similar light levels that can be ballparked with a phone Lux meter and then ramp up there will be less potential issues.

4 Likes

What are we talking about 100w plant with set flowers going under 1000w it will prolly fry . But I’ve tossed plants under 1000w hps under 600w cob and vise versa without issues.

I would guess as long as its not more than 50-60% more power you would be ok .

1 Like

ezgif.com-optimize

4 Likes

Awesome. Good to hear that it’s just light intensity really that matters. I’ll get some levels. I wasn’t sure if the spectrum change itself was enough.

You guys are quick on the draw lol

I also wasn’t set on changing either. 90% I was gonna just leave as is. let it finish off. Just wanted some more information

1 Like

That pretty much sums it up.

I’ve done mh, hps, cmh, and led in a single grow before. Different stages. Went fine, no issues.

4 Likes

Ya I don’t think the jump would fry the plant just would be a complete waste of light

I switched from cmh to a higher powered led at around 3-4 weeks flower. The led is adjustable though so I turned it up gradually. Everything went fine for me.

1 Like

I moved 2 at the end of flower from hps to led. Now that I think about it that may be why those 2 took/are taking so much longer. Didn’t even think about spectrum lol just my electric savings :sweat_smile: I didn’t have any issues with them other than just slowing down I guess but that might be an exclusively phenotypical trait as both plants were behind their siblings from the start.

1 Like

I did it and have done it

You need to wait over 25 hours

2 Likes

You need to make sure they got plenty of water I didn’t notice that they did drink a lot. I would make sure when I did this there cannot be any light whatsoever. You can’t even go in there one little bit of light change it it will not work do you have to wait over 25 hours at least 25 hours. After 24 hours your plant does not know what is going on it doesn’t matter if your lights have been off for 24 hours or longer are you going to wait another 12 hours if you’re in the middle of that light cycle I’m not. I’m going to turn those lights on as soon as possible. Now if you’re in the middle of a cycle and you’ve had problems the lights of been off a few days you need to get your rechargeable light. A candle lantern or flashlight on a string something to keep the plants going.

1 Like

If you have any questions I can tell you I believe it’s OK. But I’m also not telling you to do it. You have to take chances sometimes

1 Like