Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

but saying that look at the circuit pathway on those points and see if those are not connected or separate from your power points id recheck under those end screws specifically

6 Likes

I second nylon screws, and add liquid electrical tape. I think an entire miscellaneous box of assorted screws/nuts/washers cost me $6-9?

I know it’s been mentioned above that we need to use single core wire but does it matter if its solid or stranded?
Solid_and_Stranded

3 Likes

Solid wire.

6 Likes

Yep single core means solid core :wink:

8 Likes

I wasn’t sure and couldn’t find the info confirming 100% on Google. Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Qwwuick update. Switched to #6 hinge screws and nylon washers, ran the multimeter all over them and seems to not be shorting any longer. I will finish them up finally later tonight.

Lessons Learned for the 4’ eb2 boards:

-Yes insulate your boards even a few layers of electrical tape will do for 1.4A
-IF you choose to use screws/bolts/metallic fasteners #6 is the biggest screw head you can run
-USE NYLON washers; they are $.15 ea at your nearrest home do-it centre

Many thanks @Mr.Sparkle for catching this and guiding all of us through these builds :raised_hands:

10 Likes

I’m not sure if this is suitable but i found 1"×1" aluminum angle that is 1/8" thick for $10 for 10 foot length, i am trying to figure out how much i need to build this light and cannot figure this out. My grow space is 2x4 so i know I’d need to build it abit smaller , from what i can tell the light strips are about 22 inches in length the description is saying roughly 560mm… i apologize for being 99% retarded with this stuff but for some reason i really can’t grasp it. I’m thinking maybe i should just buy a $250 light which is basically what this will cost to build and be done with it.

3 Likes

You could do that, the light most likely will not be as good. I can understand your delima. I got a used hps from Craigslist complete for $50 to start my venture into indoor growing. Going to buy an led off there next.

There are good people on here to help you figure it out. Be glad you have the time to do it and learn it.

4 Likes

Definitely alot of great and helpful people here i am definitely happy to be a part of this forum. I tend to over think everything and i have very low confidence along with alot of other stuff so that doesn’t help plus lack of cash lol, i may just price out a 22×46 flat piece of aluminum and go that route if cheaper, wondering what a good thickness would be 1/8" maybe? Don’t want something flimsy but also not to heavy.

1 Like

That’s not a bad price, where did you find that?
Short answer, 1 x 1" angle will work. The basic setup is - the strips are mounted to lengths of the angle and then a frame around the perimeter. The question is whether you run the strips on the short axis (2 ft) or the long axis (4 ft). I think short axis might be too tight…
How many strips are you going to use?

Cheers
G

1 Like

16 strips. Based off what i am figuring out the 16 strips and 1 driver is $225 to my door and then the 1"×1" angle is another $60 roughly based off what i can figure plus nuts and bolts and washers and wiring which i am guessing about $30 plus the time and frustration. I’m figuring $315 in cash alone . I may be better off skipping the frustration and going with a SF2000 for $100 more either way i take i am putting myself into debt to do…

2 Likes

Which strips are you looking at? the 1/2" wide or the 1"? (I’m assuming Bridgelux?)
You will a need wider angle for mounting the 1" wide strips.

There is going to be some cutting drilling and perhaps tapping of holes etc. If you are not comfortable (and don’t have the tools) the DIY approach might not be the best choice.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

My lights are 22x44 inches and fit perfectly in 2x4 tent gives better manoeuvrability. You will be 6 inches short on a 10ft piece so you will need 2

5 Likes

Really? Wonder where i am going wrong with my calculations i am coming up with 528 feet needed.

1 Like

3x44" sections and 2x22" sections like shadey’s :wink:

4 Likes

2x44 inches for the sides, 2x22 inches for the ends that’s all you need.

You don’t need a strip of Ali per strip of light

4 Likes

Oh ok i was figuring a strip for each light strip, this stuff can be overwhelming.

2 Likes

@Shadey would you be able to post a pic when you have a chance? It sounds like I am over thinking this way more than i should or need to.

Id say also one extra strip right down the center for support as then you dont have sagging strips @rob0781 @Shadey doesn’t take much to add.

4 Likes