Cheaper RO Water source

I just wanted to share a good source of Cheaper RO water so your wife doesn’t have to kick your ass for using all the bottled water.I seen they have those table top RO water kits that start at like 200$ I’ve been dicking around with this AquaricLife RO buddies kit for fish tanks.It cost 60$ on Amazon the main RO filter last a year and the carbon and Deionizing cartridge last about 6 months or 1500 gal give or take.Replacment carts are cheap.In a half hour Makes a gallon of Pure water running at 0.07 ppm.I’ve been ph ing my water to 6.0 and my plants pray 20 min after watering and are loving it.Might help someone out.It comes with the adapers for a faucet and hose you can do it right in the house out of prying eyes.Have a good day folks.

13 Likes

Neat idea.

It kind of looks like the bezos rocket.

4 Likes

I got the auquabuddy one for $50 on Amazon when I was doing hydro. Works great a bit slow though 20min/gallon but brings it down to 0ppm(not that I was starting high 40ppm out the tap)

2 Likes

If your doing a couple plants for a legal grow this thing is a godsend. I think this might work.A hydro system must have took you a year to fill that reservoir haha.Sweet baby Jesus I am cross eyed thinking about it.

A giant C@&$ Rocket.If you look close enough the Amazon logo kind of looks like a boner now that I think about it.

1 Like

It took forever with 8 5 gallon dwc buckets res changes were an all day thing.

1 Like

I think the 0.07 ppm was residue from a foliar feed now that I think about it

1 Like

Not to count the times where I’d forget it’s on and flood the kitchen.

2 Likes

i use zero filter pitchers, come out to 0-5 ppm from tap thats at 350-450 ppm

1 Like

I wonder if I run it through an air stone for 24 hr if I can get some oxygen in it

1 Like

I used to keep reef aquariums, and you need to use RO/DI water.

I had a decent unit that would make at least 60 gallons per day, still took a week to fill up my 300 gallon tank. In total there was 1400 gallons . And I did regular 140 gallon changes every week… I don’t think my RODI unit ever stopped running lol

1 Like

After the 1st time I flooded I bought myself a big rubber neck garbage can and a simple auto top off valve that was connected to the output of the unit. It would make 55 gallons at a time and then stop . Eventually that grew to be 2 additional 55 gallon tanks For my reservoir.

3 Likes

That’s awesome.If I did that I’d have to run an air stone to bubble it

It would add oxygen for sure. And cooler water has a higher capacity for holding oxygen as well…

Also happy with the Amazon RO Buddie. Used 1 for 2 years. Not the fastest, very economical and portable.

Ugh. Flooded my garage a few times before using the top-off floats. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

they are SUCH a lifesaver… Now there all over the house, I use em for so many things LOL

2 Likes

I’ve been using RO water for about 15 years or so. You can get complete 4 stage systems for pretty cheap on Amazon or ebay. You’ll save by not getting the storage tank and just filling up your own container - but you’ll definitely want to get the float valve, as @GramTorino can attest :laughing:.

When it’s time to start replacing filters, you’ll save by buying in quantity. The most expensive thing you’ll be replacing is the membrane. Not all membranes are the same, so be sure to get a quality one, and be sure to get the right GPD rating for your flow restrictor. If you shop around and buy in quantity, you can get them for under $10 each.

4 Likes