Checking trichomes

Hola! I’m growing three different autos (mephisto genetics) and one strain seems to be maturing ahead of the other two.

How do I determine clear, milky or amber trichomes? Are any of these photos suitable to determine harvest time?

If not what should I focus my scope on?

Thanks for any help!!

9 Likes

They seem clear to me.

2 Likes

Yep at least another week imo.

1 Like

Still going “arbitrary 2 weeks lol”, giveaways to when to start looking is when no more or very few green pistils are popping out.

and sugars leaves will be the first to go amber on you but you will want to be looking at the calyxs of the bud

10 Likes

you have beautiful plants and nice photos @101. it’s also a good scope you’ve got, what are you using to get that magnification?

2 Likes

Like @Mr.Sparkle said. Look at the buds, not the leaves. That’s really important as the leaves go amber about a week or two before the buds are finished. And those last two weeks are when you get the biggest explosion in bud growth. They will puff up good.
I would say you have 1-2 weeks left. Nice pics.

2 Likes

here is an old hippie saying :“once you think it’s ready for harvest give it another week or two” at present not quite ready if going buy trichomes one can consider harvesting when most of the trichomes are “milky/cloudy” (you will always have clear trichomes no matter what) if you don’t have a scope/loupe harvest when the pistals are about 80% amber. A harvest is a personal thing for highest thc content harvest when trichomes are miky - now when they start to turn amber they will “turn” at the rate of 5% per week. So of you are wanting lot of thc once you see a amber trichome THIS is when you start your 2 week flush (if you flush) which will give you 10% amber at harvest time< If you are wanting CBD let plant really rippen till all pistals brown and many, many amber trichomes Hope this helps !!!

2 Likes

Those are perfect for looking at the trichs…and I concur- they are just starting to go milky…
RE-check every few days…each plant will ripen in their own time… IMO- now is the time to start to flush…

1 Like

Trichome color relates to light intensity, plant health etc, not resin maturity. Mine never turn “amber”. They turn cloudy when curing. If I waited for resin to turn brown, the plants would by dying. Oh wait, most people kill their plants and call it flushing/fade/finishing. That would explain why the amber correlates with harvest on their minds. A big confusion between positive and negative metabolic changes. Everyone growing cbn and trying to refrigerate it back into thc. This niche hortacultural scene currently makes zero sense, harvesting crunchy plants with brown resin, then putting in in a humidor…

The only times I’ve ever seen “amber” trichs is a after throwing dispensary weed in my yard. That shit turned amber for sure. In my mind amber correlates with fried assed chemical weed.

1 Like

When I referred to flushing- It means to stop feeding them and use only water… it does not KILL the plant, it gets the extra nutes out of it’s system so you aren’t smoking them.
We’ve been doing it for over 20 years… no problems yet.
SOME (not all) like to see a few starting to go amber IF they are looking for more couch-lock and no ‘up’ or trippy effects…it’s a way to ‘mellow out’ some Sativas-- It’s all about personal preference.

3 Likes

I think that is accurate @GhostOfSubcool, but what of it? What do you do with your plants besides “Kill Them?” Isn’t that just harvesting our crop?

You’re preference is to harvest early, for whatever reason, your call, your outcome. But Lady.Z is referring to an irrefutable change in the character of the Canna Chems as they develop in a later harvest.

I hope not to offend you by suggesting that you don’t know this, but to suggest that waiting for the “fall colors” of late harvest trichomes results in “Fried assed chemical weed,” Really?

All due respect Bro, That’s comfortably Old School, but just plain wrong.

-Grouchy

2 Likes

This is all wrong, there’s no such thing as “refridgerating” CBN back to THC and amber trichs are just naturally occuring as the individual calyx mature and get old.

1 Like