Chefs and Foodies - Post Your Favorite Recipes (bonus points for pics)

Enlightened’s Easy Beef Wellingtons

Welcome OGers, I hope you’re hungry, cause I have prepared my specialty for you, I have taken the liberty of making plenty of short-cuts, due to time constraints.
Normally I would make baked and steamed vegetables or stir fry veg, depending on the situation and the people eating it.

• Rib fillet or similar, you can use cheaper cuts, but that’s your choice. rump, topside, round
  • Puff Pastry - 1 sheet per piece of steak, unless it’s small.
  • Devilled ham, or similar -
    (pate, gourmet spread, truffle)
  • Minced Garlic
    (tiny amount per piece)
  • Baking paper
  • 1 egg, tsp butter, dash of milk - mixed together to make
    egg-wash

It is important to be organised when making this dish, keep your pastry in freezer until ready to use, or it will melt, do all of the prep 1st.
But MOST importantly, as my friend is fond of…
Have a beer/wine and some hotties before cooking :grin:

If you always have things on your mind, like me, then do a silly thing like forget to put drinks in the fridge. Don’t panic, Ozzy mechanics to the rescue…
Wrap your beer in paper towel, lightly wet and ensure paper covers bottle, place in freezer.
The paper rapidly freezes, due to available water content and your drink gets ice-cold in 10 - 15 min.

After my prep is done. Usually veges too, skipping that sequence because Time is a fickle wench and she constantly steals the most precious commodity from me…

This is important, only cook the steak, half as much as you like it cooked. Because otherwise, it will be dry and horrible after cooking in the oven…

After flipping, when there is liquid rising to the top, the steak is ready.

Take it out and… I place it on pieces of bread to soak up the juice, then later I feed that to my fur babies,
as a treat, they love it!

The meat must have time to cool,
or the pastry will melt when you try to work with it. If I am in a hurry, I place the meat in the fridge to cool quicker.
While the meat is cooling, it’s time for another beer and more weed

Have a tray ready to go in the fridge, as you make them, back in the fridge, until needed.

When you are ready, Get the pastry out, 1 piece at a time and let sit for a couple of minutes, until it is pliable, pastry defrosts really quickly, so don’t just walk away and forget, ok stoners :laughing:

Steak is cool to touch, it’s time…

Light application of chosen spread and tiny amount of minced garlic, seasoning if desired.

As you fold, carefully apply eggwash to pastry folds.

20200605_155829

Add some colour

Or get a little bit kinky :wink:

Rinse and repeat til done. Mandatory drink and smoke breaks in between of course.

Note the top right, that was the 1st, pastry wasn’t quite pliable enough and cracked, I just resealed it with a spoon.

Pre-heat oven 180°C/350f fan forced and cook until golden brown, 30 - 40 min depending on oven, when the house smells like a bakery, they are almost ready :stuck_out_tongue:

Mrs Enlightened, doesn’t like medium steak, she likes well done, so we compromised and the steak was cooked well done :wink:

This is how I prefer mine, Bon Appetit :ok_hand:

Good vibes, keep it green

:v::green_heart: :slightly_smiling_face:

27 Likes

Nice!! I like your prep order lol

2 Likes

Love beef Wellington and your recipe

2 Likes

My favorite recipe at the moment is exceedingly simple. 2 bone in rib steaks and salt. Boil the steaks in water or beer with plenty of salt for 30 min. The steaks should come out perfectly medium rare. Set one steak aside for a steak sandwich tomorrow and plate the other for immediate consumption. Add more water to broth if necessary and serve in a bowl with bread rolls for dunking in the fatty beef broth. Utterly sublime imo.

:face_with_monocle::wink:

6 Likes

Did you catch this line (below)? Michael Symon is famously a Cleveland native - that’s why I asked if @anon93244739 was in Detroit or Cleveland. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :wink:

That Beef Wellington looks very good, @newb2.0 - and slightly decadent. I definitely have to give it a try some time! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

The key is to start out with a good set of chefs knives. Proper tools makes the job so easy.

7 Likes

Anyone do any french cooking?

1 Like

Candied bacon covered string beans.

Cut a pack of bacon in half. And use both halfs. (this should make one tray shown). Then separate bacon, then wrap the whole string beans usually around five but you’ll figure out what works for you. Then place in tray. And repeat until you have a full tray… Candy sauce is two or three sticks of butter and three or four cups of brown sugar. Melt butter and mix in sugar, until its got a thick consistency. Now that you have a tray or two of wrapped green beans cook at 350 for 30 minutes.after 30 minutes, remove, add sauce to both trays and cook for another 25 minutes. Use the broiler at the end to make crisper, unless you prefer them more soft…

21 Likes

Oh, c’mon @G-paS - why’d you delete your post? I’m sure it was hilarious, or maybe delicious – I wanna hear it!

@Pawsfodocaws, your recipe looks and sounds delicious! I think I could eat a whole tray!

5 Likes

I accidently posted the same thing twice :relaxed: :relaxed:

4 Likes

I am pulling up a chair, I am a butcher so I love to see this thread!

9 Likes

O man they are super dank… replace reg butter with green butter and your done. There’s no helping eating a ton haha

5 Likes

I bet if you did a mist of apple cider vinegar over that it would make it even better. The acid will cut a little of the sweet and fattiness and make the other flavors pop! They look delicious regardless

11 Likes

I’ll give that a try thanks for the tip!

4 Likes

Hey @Jhentz, it seems hype around certain cuts of meat cause the prices to skyrocket. I remember when I first started buying whole pork bellies (12+ pounds), I was getting it for less than $2/lb (2012 or so). By 2014, the price was 3 times that and has continued to increase. Same thing with skirt steak…

So is there a good cut of meat (pork and/or beef) that still has great value?

3 Likes

There’s a post going what stoners eat you should check it out

1 Like

I know - it’s great. Tons of replies, including mine! I know there are recipes included in that thread, but it’s not the main emphasis. I’m hoping this becomes a thread that’s primarily about recipes.

3 Likes

It’s made with veal shanks,them buttery baby cows,last butcher shop I worked at refused to sell any kind of veal,I don’t eat it myself

Good old vegetable beef soup. A favorite in my house. I am certainly no chef but I find this to be a really hearty soup that goes over well.

1 lb beef stew meat
1 onion
3 celery ribs
10 baby carrots or a couple regular
2 potatoes cubed (peeled if you prefer)
1 cup corn
1 cup peas
2 - 3 cups diced tomatos
3 1/2 cups of beef broth
2 small bay leaves
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons of olive oil
4 cups water
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (if you like a bit more spice)

Cut meat into small, bite-size 1/2 " pieces
In large pot or pan saute meat in 1 TBS of oil on med heat until all sides are golden brown
Set aside on plate
Chop celery, onion, potatoes and carrots into bite-size pieces.
Saute celery and onion in remaining 1 TBS of oil until onion is golden brown
Combine browned beef, water, broth, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, corn, bay leaves and garlic.
Bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until beef is almost tender, about an hour.
Add peas and hot sauce of you chose to use it.
Cover and let simmer until beef is tender, appox 30 min.
Serve as desired. Can add black paper, hot sauce, crackers etc.
Simple and hearty recipe that always goes over well, at least in my house. I tend to do 3 x the ingredients to make a big pot and freeze a bunch of it in individual and family size Tupperware. It’s much better fresh as all things are but it holds up well to freezing.

You can substitute any of the items with canned if needed. Also add and subtract from the ingredients to make it how you like.

17 Likes

Chuck roast is good but ever had a Chuck roast steak or rat steak some butchers call them,better than a ribeye,flat iron is another good one

9 Likes