Chess Master 101

Does anybody play chess?
I’m not particularly good but I enjoy the challenge.

Anyone else play? Know any
Good apps? Anyone wanna play?

12 Likes

I used to play alot as a kid. I tried again a couple years ago and sucked so hard lol. Might have lost a few brain cells along the way :neutral_face:

If someone does recommend a good app or site to play I’ll try again

5 Likes

I play on a very crappy platform but my name is foreignor

The older I get it seems the worse I get at chess

4 Likes

Chesscom and lichess seem to be the big one

3 Likes

On the phone, most players play it good analysis and change the theme and pieces on your board. Saves games and community has clubs. If want to learn well I have a good YouTube playlist of an older gm nice man.

Have fun and be safe all !

Lokster

7 Likes

I’m trying to absorb a lot of material in a short time and I’m just so lost

3 Likes

Short time. Hmmm I’d say some newer would be. GMHikaru , Gotham chess, then for lessons a day pace but learn just using brain in tough games Bill Fisher. Make chess your place. You can do 3 min each games or 10 min even bullet chess the 1 min spooky.

2 Likes

Look up openers for black and white then look up guides. Learn your love of style it’s a fun game.

1 Like

Thanks - I think the problem I’m having is I’m playing a bunch of 1600s and am just getting smoked. Need to find people as good/bad a myself

4 Likes

I need to understand middle game better.

2 Likes

I used to play for the school chess team, but that was a long time ago. We have a friend that plays, and always wants a game when we visit so my wife bought a chess set for me last Christmas but she cant play lol.

I tried playing the microsoft one on the PC but it cheats all the time when put in check. I would like to find a good non cheating game for the PC.

3 Likes

Good to learn though. They find the mistakes so study what went wrong. Dont rely on videos , use for a start and reference then stick to your brain I’m only 980 for chess dot com. So play when you can and main thing have fun. Be safe I’m heading out bro enjoy

1 Like

Cheers Lokster.

I’m like a 950. i need an app where I’d can choose from players who have a similar skill set

2 Likes

I am going to play chess

3 Likes

Chess.com lets you play based on rank. I loved chess as a kid but psychiatric meds kind of burnt out my long term planning. I can play a move or two ahead, but that’s about it. So I can relate to the frustration of trying to learn against people much more skilled.

Play chess with kids! Watching them learn shows you things you wouldn’t have thought of.

4 Likes

I would second @Lokster recommendation of chess.com. Lots of resources to help you get better. I have the app on my phone and use it every day.

I love chess as it keeps you humble. Every time you get a little cocky you get bitch-slapped by someone worlds better.

With chess.com and their app, it would be easy for us to play each other. Hell, we could have an OG tournament!

Kev :call_me_hand:t4:

3 Likes

Just played. Lost to a 1300. Bit I almost made my move

I will check out this chesscom and see what happens

1 Like

That Bill fella at it again? He doesn’t know the rules to Hearts either.

2 Likes

Just played and won against the computer on Chess.com, on new player level, seems like a good site, the A I dont cheat lol

I think I can manage an hour a day on there, its better than playing mine sweeper.

4 Likes

I’m on chess.com used to play as kid and started to play again couple of years back. I play most days but will only state name in pm if anyone wants a game sometime ?

3 Likes