Cigars... my second favorite thing to smoke!

I have enjoyed cigars since around 1992 or so.
I had never smoked cigarettes… hated 'em, and knew nothing about cigars…the only thing that I had ever smoked was cannabis.
That is…
Until I received an unsolicited, complimentary copy of Cigar Aficionado.
Oh well.
The magazine intrigued me sufficiently, so that I soon found myself purchasing and sampling various cigars.
Oh well, I have been smoking stogies ever since then. I have come to dearly love a fine cigar, particularly after a good meal.
I gravitate towards heavy, spicy, full bodied smokes.
I like robustos and larger…50 ring gauge 5 to 8 inches long.
Anyway, I have been enjoying these weekly cigar reviews provided by my favorite purveyor of premium stogies…JR Cigars.
I feel compelled to share with my OG friends.
Entertaining and edifying! :smiley:

7 Likes

I don’t do tobacco anymore at all, but i used to buy captain black for my pipe, white label; and cigars for me would be Romeo and Julieta, form Havana, Cuba. Loved the spicey aftertaste they left, kinda like Montecristo but with a lot more perfume, but less intense tobacco aroma.

5 Likes

I never smoked a tobacco pipe.
My father used to occasionally smoke a pipe, and I remember the aromatic, engagingly delightful smell thereof.

But there is something transfixing about a fine cigar. Sometimes I like to alternate the inhalation of ganja with a couple of pulls on my tasty cigar.

I do not for the life of me understand the relatively recent trend of smoking “blunts”…cheap tobacco cigar wrapper used as rolling paper for yummy cannabis. WTF…OMG! Blasphemy!

I have never inhaled tobacco…I like to puff and enjoy premium cigars without ever inhaling the tobacco.
Cigars are not made to be inhaled.
But…

4 Likes

I hear you. Absolutely, i was an inhaler of tobacco, specially the pipe, a wooden straight pipe that was passed on from my grandfather to my dad and then to me, it broke after 3 gens, but yeah, pipes are mystic in a way. Cigars are for chewing and also to leave the “print” of the signature tobacco in the mouth, not for inhaling. Like W. he said he never inhaled! LOL

3 Likes

I really enjoy Connecticut Shade Wrappers.

Here are some to fire up:
https://youtu.be/Khd7qkc02Y0

I smoke a corn cob pipe.
Never has any tobacco entered the sacred bowl, which is reserved for ganja only!

13 Likes

Back to thread topic.

I love El Rico Habano cigars!

Very full bodied and strong…not for wimps!
Hahaha!

https://youtu.be/hysS-2Ev5q8

5 Likes

Really nice pipe. Damn look at those nuggs!

3 Likes

I smoked cigs for 2 years then cigars for 2 or 3. Been quit for about 5 years now. I used to love shortys. Lil snub nose cigars. Im waaaaay to much of a health nut now to touch tobacco thoughXD

3 Likes

I’m gonna try to revive this old thread. I have 3 humidors and love smoking a cigar with a good burboun.

Show me those cigars.

8 Likes

I enjoyed several brands over the years haven’t had one recently but have to say Ashton’s are probably my favorite that I have found so far !

3 Likes

I love anything made by the Oliva fam. From Nubs to the Special V Figurado.
Haven’t tried a lot of Ashton’s but the ones I did were good.
Thought I could spy one just opening the humi but not this one.

7 Likes

I’m a pipe guy myself, and haven’t really gotten into cigars, although I have enjoyed the odd little Meharis.

3 Likes

Never got into cigars but I was a blunt rolling virtuoso in my college days. My roommate had a giant safe with a humidor inside, we had some good times in that dorm. I rolled some amazing blunts with several dozen packs of small Cuban cigars a friend smuggled back to us.
My go to corner store blunt was the now extinct al capones, the only full leaf tobacco in that cheap price range. I used to butter my blunts with about a half inch of homemade concentrate and then gently melt the hash with a lighter to seal them. It would take 6 to 9 people over an hour to smoke one because they burned so slow.
pretty low class stuff compared to the cigar connoisseurs, but a hell of a good time.

5 Likes

Missouri Meerschaum sells bags of “seconds” for a really good price. Highly recommended. Then you could dedicate some to cannabis and use others to dabble in the wonderful world of pipe tobacco.

I’m currently enjoying some Orlik Golden Sliced with my Cuba Libre. If you liked the smell of your dad’s pipe, try an aromatic such as “Devil’s Holiday”. You won’t be disappointed.

By the way I was in Cuba a few weeks ago and brought back some small Cohiba and R&J cigars. They are growing on me.

4 Likes

When I first became interested in cigars, back in the early 1990s, I tried lots of different smokes, including some flavored stogies. I found that I did not care for anything flavored or sweet.
I developed a taste for fuller bodied, spicy, earthy smokes. Nowadays I think of those flavored cigars whenever I smell the aroma of pipe tobacco, so I am hesitant to try any pipe tobacco, because of my distaste for those flavored cigars.

I was never very impressed with the Cuban cigars I tried over the years, I had a coworker whose brother was a pilot for Pan Am and would supply us with boxes of Cubans purchased in South America. They were good, but overall I enjoyed many Nicaraguan and Hondurans more.

Thanks for the link to the Meerschaum pipes, very cool site. I love the bag of 3 Legend corn cobs for less than $13. I always bought my corn cobs from Drug stores only about every 8 to 10 years or so ( I began using corn cobs back in the mid 1970s …they last a long time and are hard to break , by far my preferred smoking device for ganja.

7 Likes

I prefer standard (non-aromatic) pipe tobaccos as well, but I am not anti-aromatic - mostly because the aromatics are much more acceptable to the people around me. So I keep a variety of both, and choose accordingly.

When I got my grab bag of smokable seconds from MM, they were still selling bags of 10. It looks like they only have 3 packs of Legends and a “7 day” mixed pack.

The Legends are nice (they are all nice) but I would encourage you to try some others and the 7 day pack is a good, affordable way to do it. My favourite cob from them is the Country Gentleman . A truly excellent pipe, even compared to my briars. Note: filters are optional in their “filtered pipes”.

3 Likes

Back from the dead…

I am (was?) a huge cigar fan but since I moved to a legal state recently, I haven’t been able to smoke cigars since resuming cannabis. It’s like cannabis just away all interest and make them seem kind of blah. I’m not sure what it is.

I was a big fan of Fuente, Oliva, Tatuaje, etc. I’m sort of sad. I really enjoyed that quiet time.

3 Likes

Mmmn Oliva and Nubbs.
You just have to roll your own now like I do.

Or go all the way
Cannagar

5 Likes

Whoa, I really have to try those. How do they taste? I remember as a kid, hemp was illegal. It’s wild seeing this new explosion. I love it.

2 Likes