Cilantro Smelling Cultivars

Has anyone come across any hybrids or lines that gave off smells of cilantro? This might be a bit difficult, as I have heard that many people perceive the smell and taste of cilantro quite differently.

The only thing remotely close that I have come across is The Soap. Any cilantro smells in those buds were in the background really.

Please share!

4 Likes

I guess herijuana has a soapy thing to it as well as nevil’s haze, but I liken those more to other soapy plants. Could see the link being made to cilantro for others but I don’t really experience it as cilantro exactly… Though how one experiences a smell is partly dependant on past experiences and previously known smells and I rarely eat cilantro. Tastes soapy to me when a lot of it is used.

1 Like

I like cilantro. And you’re right, some people are hardwired to think it smells like soap.

I had a Pura Vida that smelled like nasty soap, similarly, I imagine, to those who don’t like cilantro.

I found it so offensive I culled it in veg.

4 Likes

To me, somebody that eats way too many taqueria style tacos, cilantro definitely is not soapy to me, even in large quantity.

I do liken cilantro smell to other “fresh/cool” herbs. But to me, is a a very unique aroma and taste

4 Likes

This is kind of gross but there is a parallel to the way your pee smells gross after eating asparagus.

Some people can’t smell it.

I always think I’m dying if I’ve forgotten I’ve eaten asparagus.

6 Likes

For some recipes, cilantro is such a major part of the flavor profile in my opinion. When paired with bright citrus acidity from that of say, lime juice, is a delightful flavor to doctor things up with. Very cool how you’re looking for these common in culinary aromas and taste, though not as frequently discussed and observed with respect to cannabis.

Interested to see where this discussion goes. Cilantro weed sounds pretty rad. Much love

1 Like

Have any of you watched the cooking with cannabis show?

1 Like

I had a London pound cake male that had a strong cilantro like stem rub. Closest I’ve seen anyway

1 Like

a lot peppery jack hybrids that get close to it perhaps, less green more spice though

ewww, but then again that soapy thing is actually genetic something like 4-14% of people cilantro tastes like soap and im one of them.

saying that im all for coriander which is the seed so :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Terpinolene also seems to be interestingly varied at how people perceive it.

2 Likes

Interesting article I read said that majority of people who like cilantro typically eat more fruits or veggies and prefer healthy foods over unhealthy foods. Which would mean fast food and packaged foods.
Personally I love cilantro and one strain that I got from a dispensary had a smell that reminded me of cilantro and carrots, had a fresh clean herbal slightly floral smell and it was Casper OG.

1 Like

Now the search for a couple of packs of Casper OG commences, lol. Thanks for the tip on that, though. Thats gotta be ThaDocta’s cross of Ghost x Faceoff Bx1? Those seeds were probably released pre-cookies or something and I cant imagine any repros are bouncing around either, since it is an OG.

1 Like

Off top of my head I believe it is from Archive Seeds. I will say this though, I bought an eighth and it was mainly just one nice cola. Nice light green color, little leafy but just covered in trichomes, medium density. I know I babied that 1/8 and only smoked it for “special occasions”.
I asked the dispensary at some point when they would be getting more in and they didn’t know, so I asked if I could speak to the growers and I actually got lucky. I got a call back and asked him when it would be back in stock and he said that they cut it out from rotation after that first grow because it didn’t yield enough for them like their other plants. And they busy busy busy so he said they only got space for heavy yielders. But he agreed it was top shelf smoke. :+1:t3: