Clean or Buy new RO membrane

It’s been a long time since I posted my last text on OG,anyway,I missed It so much and I m coming back online.

I have a simple question:
My Ro water comes out at 0.004-0.006Ec now and I thought It was time to clean It…?
Before the water came out at 0.001-2.
It also became slower and all I can Say Is my water Is 0.5-4Ec full of calcium carbonate from the faucet.

When do you hydro/coco guys change or switch or clean the membrane?
Also,Is there a way to clean It at home without spending too much?

Thank you all in advance

3 Likes

would we wanna know what kinda ro filter you have?

1 Like

It Is a Classic 2 stage prefilter (Active carbon for chlorine and impurity prefilter) and the membrane with a booster pump too.
Here s the model,Classic Aquarium Ro

@3bombedmice

2 Likes

cool. did you find anything on how to clean it?
How To Clean Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membranes | CWS

3 Likes

The Sellers doesn’t give any help with that,so I was asking if you hydro guys do some chemical bath or flushing of the membrane or specific infos

I just buy a new filter every 6 months or so for my KNF filters, other lasts about 8-10 depending on how heavy my usage is. I have the hydrologic stealth 350

2 Likes

Have never tried or thought cleaning them tbch :thinking: definitely save money

2 Likes

Also it’s nice to see you back posting @Andrexl

2 Likes

I usually replace mine after a couple runs. There 50 bucks on Amazon sometimes you can find a sale and pick them up then a little cheaper. I recommend a permeate pump saves alot of waste water and increases flow without using electricity. Can be added to any RO system

1 Like

Thank you Brother :heart:
I love this community and I am Always drawn back to this nice Place

Yes,they can be cleaned the ro membranes,but my manufacturer doesn’t specify the pH level under which damage occurs.It Is also known to use citric acid for calcium carbonate issues like my municipal water

I use a booster pump, didn’t know about permeate pump

Not sure if it can be used with a booster but I feel like it could just based off how it works. What RO system do you have

1 Like

A Classic 3 stage Aquarium :sediments,carbon filter and ro membrane
@Mr.greenbee

Sorry for bumping this thread but I am sure Someone knows Better than me

I have a very similar system, may even be the same. The carbon and sediment filters cost under $10. New, my ec is 0.01, I replace them when it gets to 0.04 or 0.05.

The water pressure through the filters needs to be a specific psi for them to be effective.

When my unit slows down, the first thing I check is the incoming line. Our water is very hard, and can clog that tube. Sometimes, after I ream it clean, the ec goes back down to 0.01. If it doesn’t, I replace the carbon and sediment. If that doesn’t bring the ec down, I replace the resin cartridge, but it rarely needs that.

Never thought of cleaning them, I hope you’ll tell us how that works.

1 Like

Hi friend.I have a booster pump and says Working pressure 70 psi and maximum pressure 120/140 psi,I checked manufacturer and It says no much more than 60psi or the membrane could collapse or not filter right,
while some months ago I produced 0.02 EC water It has now gone to 0.06 and I admit I haven’t used It for 2-3 months,maybe It got dry and damaged.Also my tap Is 610 EC and It Is Basically all scale:calcium carbonated and magnesium carbonates.
Yes the flow has dropped a bit I can see That.Should I switch sediment and Carbon before doing any other move?
I thought It was good ti use until It came out at 100 or 200 Ec
@HorseBadorites

1 Like

I would check the incoming 1/4" waterline for crud before changing the filters. If you haven’t used it much, the small line may gunk up from water standing in it.

2 Likes

A back flush valve can be installed. Invest in getting an in-line PPM monitor. Let’s you know at 2 or 3 different points in the filtration system what you ingoing and outgoing values are. Much easier to monitor membranes, carbons and resin.

2 Likes

Bulk Reef Supply is my go to for anything water purification. Great customer service too. You can contact them directly and explain what your trying to do and what it’s for and they walk you through it.

1 Like

Thank you @McShnutz,I saw your thread with Coco,I also recycle Coco and got very good experience with mixing Coco and another bagged soil,I throw whatever water from tap or runoff from cannabis and my basil keeps getting bigger.
Anyway,I can check my in and out water,from tap 610Ec and from membrane 0.06Ec
I don’t live in usa and It Is not possible for me to call those guys.
Man your waterwork Is outatanding

1 Like