Cloning Methods…

I scoured this place but couldn’t find a thread strictly for cloning techniques/methods. Over the years I’ve tried many MANY forms of cloning. I’ve bought cloners, made cloners, utilized au naturale (water) , mini greenhouse methods etc. but tbch the one that NEVER seems to fail is a simple cupof water! It just works but is definitely time consuming (appx 3-4 weeks) I’m curious about everyone else’s methods and/or techniques as I am about to create a cloning chamber in a separate room and would like to utilize the best methods . image|666x500

54 Likes

The other method I use most frequently is simple. Cut (sterilized scalpel) (gloves) then dip in powder,then gel (both rooting hormone) then I add to either rapid rooters or macro plugs (macros preferably) and straight into my mondi houses with a built in thermometer/hygrometer. Mist the whole top WELL, and the leaves a decent amount.The Macro plugs soak in clonex and water 2&1/2ml per litre and are lightly squeezed out before adding the plant matter. I keep the temps in the 75-80 range and the moisture super high for the first week 75-85%+ then very slowly gradually decrease after I see some stability and growth characteristics. Also after @Seamonkey84 reminded me. Low light levels are key. I use two 14w fluorescents over my domes with a reflector (pictured a few posts below)

26 Likes

A simple set up ive used with great results is:
I take sink bin from the dollar store, I stick a few airstones inside, and then cover the top with alluminum foil. I poke a few holes in the top and place my cuts in them.
I usaually have roots in a few weeks.

15 Likes

I made something similar with a tote, some neoprene inserts and a few air stones. Worked great, but I found I was getting the same results from my simple greenhouse, so went back to that years ago, I even gave away my turboklone a few years ago.

6 Likes

Nice ! I should probably pick some clonex up. Any stores that sell it here are expensive thou. Im trying to make some natural root stimulants from plants, but when I did have some the clonex worked well for me too.

6 Likes

this is my chamber right now in real time, added 4 clones yesterday that I have EXTREMELY high hopes for. :crossed_fingers:t2:But I’m hoping to make something more elaborate on a shelving system.

9 Likes

Homemade …100% success rate…

35 Likes

I’ve been using clonex as long as I can remember, drastically increases my growth rates and root density as well. LOVE THAT STUFF

11 Likes

Thats real close to what I have :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: just no lid. I used alluminum foil lol

5 Likes

I initially tried a few different ways with literally zero success. Even made a homemade aero cloner. Then, once when I topped a couple plants, I stuck the tops in solo cups in 50/50 peat moss and sand so I could put them under 12/12 to check gender. I misted them multiple times a day so they would survive long enough, and I never expected them to root. But to my surprise, they did root.

So, that’s what I’ve been using ever since with high success. I do dip them in rooting hormone.

9 Likes

Here’s another…

16 Likes

Same way I found the water method. Forgot cuts in a cup like 16 years back, 11-12 days later I was like “hey bro we have rootage in here” used it for years until I got antsy and started looking for other methods

10 Likes

How long did they need before showing sex when unrooted ?
I wanted to test sex by tossing cuts in 12/12 too, but I hear mixed thoughts on it. Some say they need to be rooted to show sex. I was gonna try it anyway lol, but if it worked for you im curious of your results.

4 Likes

I also have 100% success with my non cup method as long as I take the cuts and do the work myself. My home made cloners were very similar to yours

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know because by the time they showed sex, they were rooted.

5 Likes

Okay. Interesting haha
Thank you

1 Like

Once they showed (can’t remember how long it took) I went to pull them out to toss them but couldn’t believe they had roots.

3 Likes

I took this cut from a (presumed male) plant 2 weeks, 5 days ago; it was from a bottom branch that hadn’t grown out more than a few inches, and would’ve been mulched anyway, so I decided to use it for sexing. I put it in a cup with some water, and stuck it in the flower room. It started showing about a week ago, but just barely, so I figured I’d keep it to be entirely sure; it’s gotten clearer since then. Gonna have to kill the plant, not worth breeding with since it came from a hermie.

10 Likes

A lot of people are utilizing this method for sexing nowadays. Personally I just do the wait n watch thing but I do like the idea very much.

6 Likes

Well I definetly just wait and watch when Im making bud, but right now im hoping to make some crosses.
I want to make Fem crosses, but I only have Reg seeds. So im trying to find the best cost and time efficient way to determine sex.
Once I have every cross I need AND they are female, then I can start making fem pollen and mixing genetics.
I have bags I made so I can isolate crosses. Just doing tests to see if I can make 4 or 5 different crosses in the same tent.
Anyway, so yeah I just need females :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Very specific situation for me. Any other day I would just pop 10 beans and see what I get haha

5 Likes