COB lighting

Interested in hearing from folks who are
using a COB light.

What kind and watts you have?
Your opinion of it.
Thanks. :bulb:

6 Likes

I’m running TIMBER GROW LIGHTS
Red Wood VS 3500k vero cobs dimming capability from 10% - 100% awesome light awesome American company :us: Ask to talk to Dan he’s the owner and will answer ALL your questions and help you pick the best light for your needs! Can’t say enough good things good luck.

4 Likes

Check out my journal 1st run ever, and it surpassed my expectations!:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I run a Timber COB Redwood and also a Timber Cypress Strip style.

I’d say COBs are older tech now, but will still do the job. If you’re looking at a new light, I’d go strip style, but I guess that depends on your needs.

Just FYI, looks like Dan is at Timber is releasing a new light soon.

https://timbergrowlights.com/magnolia-board/

3 Likes

That new timber light looks pretty dope. Seems like he’s late to the party though. Companies have been using 301b/h diodes for years now

2 Likes

If you can find a good deal on COBs and can build the light yourself, it may still be a worthwhile investment. I used the cheaper Citizen COBs in the custom light I built, and they crushed it as well. You don’t have to have the expensive Vero ones. With COBs you won’t get as even spread of light, and you can get some hot spots. I still like my Timber Redwood though, it’s made it through a trip across the country and is still running fine.

2 Likes

I run two 320 watt cob cannon LEDs from Blacksail market. They’re 3500 k spectrum. I’ve been pleased with them, plants happy.

2 Likes

I seem to remember it’s the cost of the heat sinks that end up getting you. But it’s been awhile.

2 Likes

Yeah, it all adds up. The heatsinks are around 15.00USD it looks like, 133mm Passive Pin-fin heatsink ( for CLU058/CXB3590/Vero 29) – CobKits.com but I don’t know about shipping and all that. I think the Vero29s run around 25.00USD now, the Citizens are cheaper. Then factor in a driver…

@LedZeppelin Guess we have to ask, why are you looking at COBs versus strip style LEDs? Do you have a goal in mind?

2 Likes

I’ve got 4 autocobs…55w I think. I don’t really remember I got them years back. I only use them to fill corners where my main lights lack, and I use one in a closet for flowering males.

3 Likes

I have the tgl star 60 from todogrowled. Its good.

1 Like

I have 6 autocobs, i like the flexibility of them as well. Used to run 5 in a 4x4 during summer…

I just replaced these with an HLG 600 Rspec however.

2 Likes

cob is a good light - If money is an issue check out (budget Led re-named Elevated Lighting) have two of their boards one is full cycle w/UV, ect and one Redspec board (both 240 watt)_ great product with low cost - will order one again these are made by Vets (can give you a grow site/forum that promotes these) If I didn’t run these QB would conside HGL’s products they habe a mul’joil of over 3. which is very good 4. is the highest a LED light can go (along with elevated lighting whic is 3.2) need to look at this for better light pentration !!!

1 Like