Cola cob build for @gaz29

I was requested to build a light by a fellow OG’er so I’ve been ordering parts over the past few weeks to get him one up and running. Still waiting on a few parts and designing as I go.

I always aim to frame in aluminium. This will be my first enclosed build. 2 lengths of aluminium U channel 600mm x (4inch x 3inch)

1/8 thick x 600x300mm aluminium sheet x 2 (for top and bottom.

Not thought about the sides too much yet but I’ll do something nice got a couple ideas in mind.

Hardware going in:
Citizen citiled cluo36-1206s (80cri) 58.8w a chip
4 x 2700k
4 x 3500k
(I have to order more 3500k’s as I blew one on my own light pulling a negative wire too hard) my bad :sweat_smile:

Meanwell hlg185h-c700a constant current driver.
Vf 36v a cob. (36x8cobs=288)×0.7=201.6w (minus a 6 percent driver loss)

Am3 heatsinks. (These have the largest flattest mounting points I’ve seen. So should be quite durable in different applications)

A few pics of how im seeing it going together. (I am still 3 heatsinks short but the light was originally to be a 2700k bloom boost bar for 5 2700k chips)

@Gaz29 this will be your place to keep up to date with how your builds going bro. What’s going in it and how it’s going together.

Anyone else is more than welcome along for the ride. Observations. Advice and ideas all taken on board

Cola

14 Likes

Don’t know how you find the time bro :thumbsup:

3 Likes

I walk around mumbling measurements and product codes all day every day. Drive the Mrs mad she never knows when I’m talking to her haha. But no I just try and put a few hours in at night. This is how I wind down bro as weird as that is

7 Likes

Used to be like that with my hifi gear but cant really be arsed these days, must be getting old lol

2 Likes

Excellent thread and though I know fk all about lighting ,electronics etc , it’ll be handy for me to understand some of what you have built & i can re-check :popcorn: this thread anytime I fk up …(lol)
Thanks :pray: again mate… looking/sounds good so far , you don’t mess about/ I don’t know where you find the time bud .!
You the ‘man’… Happy growing
Gaz

3 Likes

I reckon you should get yourself an LED built. See if you can find some of that hifi spirit bro lol

3 Likes

What size grow area will this cover?

2 Likes

My thinking here is. You can use the thread to get to grips with the workings of your light and a few basic principles of LED. You may as well know what you’re working with. Plus it’s somewhere once it lands I can show you pictures to get to bits should you need to. I’ll test it for a straight 48hours before I even contemplate sending it to you. So we shouldn’t need it. It’s not like you can drive it too hard either so I’ll happily give you a warranty on it anyway bro

3 Likes

Wouldn’t want to say without putting a quantum meter under it anything specific but I’d happily use that in an 80x80cm tent myself. (Or airing cupboard etc)

2 of those for a 4x4 tent would be nice imo

You could still spread those cobs over a larger area and get a better spread too. But as I said this was intended to be a bloom boost bar. The driver can handle a Max of 8chips though so for the sake of an extra £25 ish he may as well run the driver to capacity and chips to efficiency. does that make sense bro

4 Likes

Yeh man it’s deffo in the pipeline but i’m waiting to see how your builds go while wasting money on crap like old cars lol One thing i’d like feedback on is how noisy it gets with all those fans cos we can get cob chips for a reasonable price over here eh. I’m drawn to a passive strip design though but the cost of the strips is the issue. I’d need at least 8 i recon to replace the 600hps in my tent and i think 5 for the missis wee auto/veg tent

2 Likes

I will give you feedback on mine. Now this was a big concern of mine so I went for the Arctic heatsinks and a fan speed controller that hasn’t arrived yet that sets speed by pwm dependant on temperature. The slightly cheaper am3 sinks may be a bit louder but the fact it’s enclosed should be a big factor in keeping ‘er quiet. I’ve actually got the driver here for gaz’ build fans. May add a speed controller if these are loud and temps allow slower running speed

4 Likes

Couldn’t get better customer service anywhere than this, and I will pick up something from this thread ( not just the lights) and with your standard of building, I’ve no doubt this light will be safe and it’ll add more light … what size is this being built for.? Is it still 2 by 4 ft or 3 x 3 or .?? I don’t mind…
Great idea :bulb:this … cheers bro,
Going to bed now -tired as f… have a good night .! :sleeping:
Gaz

3 Likes

I wish I could trust my building skills enough but unfortunately with my skills I’d probably just burn my house down :frowning:

So gotta just keep paying dat fat buck :sob:

2 Likes

You’ll get best use out of it in the 3x3 tent bro. It’s just not quite got the length to take on the 4ft I don’t think. Maybe you can run a few of @ReikoX autos as a test when it lands. (They have arrived safe and sound with him now reikoX) this is the kind of customer service I’d love to get myself but it’s not quite the norm yet. Let’s see if we can change that.

You get your head down bro. Peace

3 Likes

Im sure I could get a light out to Finland bro

1 Like

Be good to hear your impression bro, those heatsinks should handle up to 100w each so maybe the fans can run at half speed or less. Noise is a big issue for us here cos it’s in a spare bedroom in a modern house so you hear everything. I very briefly borrowed a blurple panel from a pal last year for a tryout but those wee cooling fans made quite a racket for all the thing did. Couldn’t live with it so decide passive was probably the way forward.

2 Likes

What size space are we talking bro I might be able to point you in the right direction. Drop me a pm. Try and leave this thread as uncluttered as possible besides gaz’ build from now on otherwise I’m gonna end up confused haha

2 Likes

The first Overgrow spawned lighting company!

Good for you @anon58740919.
Fyi, I plan to steal some of your ideas in my design so, when the time comes, I’ll give you the address for the lawers to find me :joy: keep up the good work.

Stay hazed
Jake

5 Likes

I didn’t know my shit would be as popular as it’s seeming to be lol. And there will be no lawyers. I’ll guide you step by step through building your own. Part for part with links without asking for shit in return. But for those that want one of mine. They can chuck a few quid in the pot and I’ll build one for them

6 Likes

May I suggest just making a fold in the top plate at each end that will cover the ends and in that folded part there could be a 4 inch hole to put an extraction vent to outside, then you could ditch the heatsink fans.

When enclosed the heatsink fans wont be doing anything anyway bar pushing the already hot air around.

sorry I skipped the thread after the first pictures hehe

2 Likes