Comprehensive Breeding Information Sources

As a newb, and as I start thinking about planning out my first breeding project, I’m looking for some comprehensive info on breeding. I did a quick search on the topic and couldnt find a thread dedicated to compiling and housing breeding techniques, SOPs, technical info (both cannabis and non cannabis related) in one place here on OG. So Mods, hopefully I’m not duplicating something that already exists.

So here it is, a place for OG to compile external resources for breeding info, as well as our own members’ techniques, approaches, hypotheses, anecdotes, etc.

I’ll start with a link to another OG thread that presents something from DJ Short from the early 2000s

23 Likes

Nice, I think I a thread like this is a great idea.
Found this link buried deep inside something else here on OG, think I’ll leave it here as well. Good read.

14 Likes

Very kool idea for a topic. I’ll follow along, because I also have plans in the works for a breeding project or two. Hopefully there will be tons of info bouncing around here.

3 Likes

I have a PDF of DJ’s book. Section 1 is cultivation, section 2 is breeding. It’s pretty good. I’ve got a few books about general plant breeding, and some heavy science stuff about next-gen breeding, new pheno/genotyping methods.

Some of them are too big to post here. If anyone’s interested I can zip them up, dump them on Dropbox and post a link.:vulcan_salute:
:guitar:

Guess I could post the book. :roll_eyes: Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis - Dj Short.pdf (2.0 MB)

21 Likes

Do it! Please?

6 Likes

Here you go. Breeding.zip The file is 53 MB, so there’s quite a few books in it. :slight_smile:

I hope you find some useful info in there.:vulcan_salute:

27 Likes

I know what I’m doing after work today!
Thanks @Guitarzan!

3 Likes

If only more people did this first :sunglasses: great idea for a topic @newb2.0

4 Likes

Great zip @Guitarzan thanks!!
:sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

My pleasure!! I hope you find something useful in there. I have another zip dump but it’s pretty much all tissue culture, and lab stuff. :vulcan_salute:

7 Likes

Thanks for the pdf download I just love reading these type of documents about half way through it now… I got a kick out of the 24 layer of paper towels to sprout seeds! Lol if we all used this technique there would be a paper shortage for sure!

3 Likes

Shit. I’m out of likes. That’s one of the great things about books and shit. You may read 5 things that are just insane sounding, and then you stumble across a jewel. There’s a book in there about Fruit Breeding that’s considered a classic on plant breeding. :vulcan_salute:

9 Likes

Marijuana Botany by Robert C Clark is a must have for anyone interested in breeding. It’s a source of information that is hard to rival .

8 Likes

Clarke’s book is in that zip file. :+1:

9 Likes

This topic could NOT have come at a better time for me! I can’t thank you all enough for this information. @Guitarzan you are a saint for sharing these PDF’s!!

6 Likes

Great thread! I started one that was similar- and everyone pointed me to THIS thread and the info here.
The DJ Short book is great, and the zip file link has a lot of classic/basic texts.
DOWNLOAD IT. I literally don’t think you’ll find a better starting point.

I agree on having some SOP or “teks” or whatever they call them.
Something that any newb can understand. I’m a fairly smart guy, but initially, even the basics of breeding/crossing was arcane and difficult to understand.

A couple guys with crappy 6th grade diagrams helped me a bunch. :nerd_face:
Here’s the Youtube video. About 2 and a half minutes long.
Breeding Basics:

He doesn’t cover everything 100% in depth, But it’s easy to follow and understand him.

Adding a link to a thread here on a cheap, simple cloning method in straight coco and solo cups.

(if this thread isn’t the right place for this just lemme know and I’ll take it out. But I figured, how ya gonna breed if ya can’t clone?) :smiley:

Ready for the next level?
It’s a 16 minute easy to watch video that covers the basics of genetics and breeding and includes a couple of quizzes.

11 Likes

The Principals of Cultivar Development: Theory and Technique, by Walter Fehr

Cannabis specific breeding books are often wrong or overly simplistic.

7 Likes

I second @Sincy about Marijuana Botany by Robert C Clarke. It’s worth owning a copy of.

Advances in Hemp Research - Paoli Ranalli
Principles of Plant Genetics and Breeding - George Acquaah

There are a great deal of interesting articles on Google Scholar. The paywalls can be bypassed by using https://sci-hub.tw/

8 Likes

Thanks for that link!
There is a lot of depth in that text, it is going to take awhile to wade through.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Hey welcome to OG!

Thanks for the paywall bypass link. Geez likes nerdy botany books and drops a useful link in their very first post? You’re gonna have a good time here! :+1::wink:

5 Likes