Coronavirus Facts and Fiction - January - May 2020 [Closed]

Upthread you dissed my post because it referred to someone who wasn’t a genetic research scientist.
Now you diss this one because it refers to someone who is?

Here’s another for you to diss:

For those who want to keep track:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

2 Likes

Latest via Zerohedge (2/7):

• Confirmed cases surpass <s>31k</s> 34,596, deaths <s>still at 638</s> 720

• Reporter says 'real' death toll could be closer to 20k

• German scientists say nCoV can survive for 9 days on surfaces

• Chinese quarantine expanded to Guangzhou; **400 million now on lockdown**

• Singapore raises response level to Orange

• Hong Kong confirms case No. 25

• Death of Dr. Li stokes demands for more free speech in China

Current situation US press brief:

5 Likes

Geez…The movie Outbreak is happening for real.

There is now a world wide shortage of masks, gloves, and other supplies as the hoarding in earnest has begun. I am not an isolationist, but I saw that the US was sending Masks, gloves etc. to China. Admirable, but the way that this is taking off…I hope there are enough supplies for our own country. I don’t know of many N95 masks that are made in the USA, except for the 3M (I think). That means that we are sending the Chinese masks, gloves etc, that were made in China and shipped here. India stopped export sales of these items a few days ago (they make lots of medical supplies too).

I have a few N95 disposable masks and a half face mask 3M respirator + refills, that I keep on hand due to the yearly fires and smoke from California. If they don’t work for this…OK, but again…they won’t hurt a bit. I have boxes and boxes of Nitrile gloves on hand…Side benefit of growing…LOL

2 Likes

deadly pandemic, or if, as I speculated, the Chinese or Asian population is somehow sensitized to 2019-nCoV or at higher risk of fatality.

4 Likes

Any link for this one ?

2 Likes

How much longer are our Governments going to lie to it;s civilians for about the true nature and massive death counts this vurus will cause when it spreads and it will spread , no way to stop it now.
Maybe if a vaccine is found in time.
This sucks balls

3 Likes

The source they appear to have used is here.

Additional info: We can’t stop

1 Like

I read an article today that said the alveoli of Asian men have lots more of a type of cell that have ACE2 receptors as opposed to other races.

3 Likes

I saw that, too.

Also, read about ACE2 being prevalent across the populations in the heart muscle.

2 Likes

‘We can’t stop’: Funeral worker says Wuhan cremating ‘at least 100’ bodies a day amid coronavirus outbreak

Here’s why:

It’s NOT slowing down.

4 Likes

When you look at the population densities in China as well as the method the virus spreads; im surprised theyre only reporting numbers in the tens of thousands.

2 Likes

So what’s everyone “final straw” on when you bug out and hit the mountains or lock down in your house

3 Likes

Well, I’ve had both heart disease and pneumonia, 3 immediate family members dead from heart disease and one from pneumonia.
Excuse me everybody(you too vernal) if I seem sensitive to this topic but there are too many factors playing into it that make me distrust “official” reports.
Peer reviews don’t cut the mustard with me because scientists and academia’s bread and butter is gleaned from grants from the National Science Foundation.
The NSF was cooked up by the CIA in 1950 for the express purpose of directing scientific research through funding.
If a research(er) does not agree with prevailing scientific wisdom(govt approved) it is shitcanned in regards to funding.

4 Likes

I was hoping someone could answer that too.
As soon as I got rid of the pot odor from our clothing my kid landed a job in a corporation’s global center.
Now he is exposed more than I am.
Still we’d all bug out in a second if we had a solid notion.
The extra bad news I posted up thread was that folks were contagious without any symptoms, asymptomatic, as it were.
The most intelligent thing from a survival aspect is to isolate yourself now.
But we all are obligated to live and pay our way and if enough folks do that things will just grind to a halt and that will stop the spread for sure.
Survival guaranteed providing you don’t starve or freeze in the dark.

Tonight I’m gonna get down on my hands and knees and ask the Almighty for guidance, something I only do when things are going wrong, never when they go right.
I’ll let you know by answer or absence if that works.

3 Likes

Yea I’ve got bills to pay lol. But I’ve also got a hair trigger for finding a legit excuse to head into the mountains to live like a hermit

6 Likes

I hear that,being old myself. Happily my immune system is ok and I haven’t been sick in years, but this is scary shit!

3 Likes

lol
That’s me at 18, I was headed for Alaska to build me a cabin on a mountain and life the natural life.
Almost made it too, only fell 3400 mi short.

5 Likes

Realistically this is probably going to play out the same way SARs did in '02. Mortality rates amongst the elderly, immune compromised, and overall health compromised will rise whereas the “healthy” population will suffer symptoms similar to the common cold.

1 Like

I’m already there…sorta…Just outside of Reno Nevada, but the City is moving my way, and fast!

5 Likes

“Originally reports from China were that the elderly and the immunocompromised were the only persons dying. Now, it’s clear that there is not any clear age-associated risk.”

From my post upthread.

3 Likes