Cough BX1 - Relic Seeds

Has anyone ran these yet?

Looks tempting

4 Likes

Not I, but I believe there are a couple version of Cough Bx1 with different Consumption males used. Would be interesting to see those side by side too.

I’d gladly pull up a chair in a thread running them though.

I had just looked at these but then I had to remind myself that I have more seeds than I know what to do with already.

If anyone does/has run these I’d love to see how they turn out.

2 Likes

Can I ask, What does BX1 mean? Is It a strain?

1 Like

It’s shorthand for a first generation back cross.

As I understand it, a back cross is when you take a strain (Cough) and breed it to something else (TK x NL5/Haze) to create an F1 strain (Consumption), then you take male pollen from a selected F1 male (Consumption) and use it to make seeds with the original female (Cough).

Consumption = Cough x (TK x NL5/Haze)
Cough Bx1 = Cough x Consumption = Cough x (Cough x [TK x NL5/Haze])

It’s like in-breeding, but you always use one of the original parents and keep breeding back to that. Theoretically you can get a similar result by going to like Bx3 in fewer steps than by taking an F1 strain to F5.

6 Likes

Great explanation @SmackyMcSmackers, thanks :pray:

In this case the Cough BX1 is a backcross of an inline cross.

Cough = NL5Haze

Consumption = Cough x TK/NL5Haze = NL5Haze x TK/NL5Haze = NL5Haze IX(inline cross)

So Cough BX1 = NL5Haze x (NL5Haze x TK/NL5Haze)

To quote @Tonygreen:
“Backcrossing does not create a uniform line. It creates families of similar-ness by trait segregation.
You need an incross to create a uniform progeny.
Any 2 similar plants from each family could make their own uniform progeny.
What becomes uniform is the pheno ratio”

So my guess is, this Cough BX1 should give you mostly nl5haze plants with a spread of different traits on them(think totally different flower structures/growth patterns), with the occasional TK popping up in there. It most likely will NOT give you a straight Cough Pheno.
You would also need to find two similar plants in this pack and breed them together to get any kind of uniform(phenos) line out of these. These should definitely have some variety as-is.
If you do two totally different plants than you’re basically making F1’s and starting fresh.

I have a pack of these myself I plan on running at some point here, probably next year sometime, but my plan is to breed them with the NL5Haze I already have.

8 Likes

So are you saying you have the og cough?

Or just a nl5 mixed with a haze?

No I don’t have the Cough, though it’s floating around the US if you look hard enough.

I have my own NL5Haze :slight_smile:

What’s up @HolyAngel did you ever try out the beans I gave you for secret Santa giveaway🔥 ??
Question - I took a male lavender Jack and crossed it with a clone of vanilla frosting. Now I’m using an F1 male from those and back crossing it back into a female Lavender Jack. Would I call it Lavender Jack bx1 or…??

1 Like

Ah, no I haven’t had a chance yet to pop them yet.

Interesting work! I’d think it’d technically have to be called an IX1/Inline Cross since you’re not using the same P1 to do the backcross with :thinking:

2 Likes

I too have an interest as I’d like a Cough pheno myself . As I understand Prof P did 3 Bx’s . 1 & 3 he used Consumption , but Bx2 is Cough x Cough according to website info . I’m thinking he reversed to get a male ?? I’m a neophite so school me on this please . Plenty of NL5 Haze around w/o going down this rabbit hole , especially if it don’t Cough up .

2 Likes

Cough BX2 is Cough x Cough BX1 mate. I have that exact pack in the fridge :wink:

3 Likes

wow, thanks for reminding me that I need some Cough in my life. Who has the clone? I got burned buying a bunk one on strainly (PNW) but I know it’s around somewhere.