Cows....black angus

Who has some cattle? We have taken on our first cow. Black Angus. She is 8 months old.

1 step closer to being a true homestead :+1:

19 Likes

Do you want to hear she looks “cute” or “delicious” cause I could go either way on this…

15 Likes

Oh, DELICIOUS is the route here my friend :grinning:

12 Likes

I can see a fertilizer factory and some ribeyes. That’s awesome thanks for sharing.

5 Likes

I am building a slaughter room and meat cooler to age her in :+1:

3 Likes

Please I urge you to get your cow a friend. They are not ment to be alone this may seem silly but they scare much easier alone. When I got my cattle the chute broke and I could only load one. When I got faith back to the farm she kept escaping so I through her in my neighbors 8 foot high paddock. Once I got my other cattle to the farm and put them together she never left again. Even when Givin the opportunity. Cows are ment to be in groups.

Please don’t take this as me shaming you for getting one. Times are tough and cattle arnt cheap. Even a goat friend or a horse or donkey would be fine another cow would be best but not necessarily required. In the mean time I’d go buy a cattle brush and get some time in with her for her own good.

8 Likes

She already has chickens, but there are 2 goats in bound, 1 more heffer, and a bull. Plus a pig. :+1:
She is just the beginning :+1:

12 Likes

Awesome! Great sorry I didn’t want to be one of those people as what your doing is awesome. Just wanted to make sure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Plan on providing our family with our own meat. Hence 2 heffers and one bull. Just have to get the timing down…haha

6 Likes

I started my self with a cow a heifer and a bull calf.

2 Likes

Its all good. We are very used to going against the grain anyways. We are building our home from dumpsters…and you dont get that done by taking to heart the nay sayers brother :+1:

3 Likes

Deffinetly reccomend getting a cattle brush though. Really helps develop a bond.

My bull Flynn when he was a lot younger

4 Likes

Old Mcdonald had a farm…
And on that farm he grew some weed…eeiii eeeii ooow…come on everybody sing with me🤣
It looks like u have got the sustainable living situation going on…I wish I was ur neighbor so we could trade clones.

4 Likes

You and I and very alike apparently and have very similar goals. .

I also built my own home on farm land I aquired as that’s the route I could afford to get into farming. Was going to build with seacans but local bylaws made it more of a hassle than it is was worth. So built with stick and poured footings.

2 Likes

Yes been working towards being off the “grid” and being self sustaining for some time now. Have a long way to go, but its a step forward :+1:

3 Likes

I build with oak pallets…lol

1 Like

Ah damn your getting the good ones eh. All spruce here. I’ve taken many apart and run them through the planer and have made some real nice stuff. Great lumber still

1 Like

Take a gander thru that thread.

2 Likes

If your lucky their white oak… White oak is water resistant

1 Like

This is an amazing site!
I’m actually trying to purchase some land in the south. One of my goals is to raise and breed a few cattle. With the information shared here, and also a couple of helpful farmers here I should be fine.

6 Likes