CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

@CrunchBerries You rock!

Always checking out Probiotic SIP threads to see whats others are doing so I can learn, test and attempt to improve my processes.

:point_up_2: This right here! :beers: :eyes: :seedling:
Mother Nature is a wonderful thing.

11 Likes

Welcome Duder! Glad to have you aboard! Your sarcasm, knowledge, OG spirit, and references to obscure pop culture are very welcome here. I think you’ll be impressed with the results!

8 Likes

I’m no entomologist so I can’t differentiate between bulb mites and mold mites. Could just be a common mold mite like Tyrophagus putrescentiae, or a bulb mite. My intuition tells me they’re probably grain mites being attracted to all the barley people are using or the mold associated with their decomposition. Environmental conditions definitely allow these mites to multiply at a terrifying rate.

Hypoaspis Miles or Stratiolaelaps scimitus Womersley controls any that live within the depths of their movement (ie near surface). Many of the predatory soil mites that you buy come pre-packaged in a bran-vermiculite mix that actually has Tyrophagus mites in there as a food source for them. If they’re bulb mites however Hypoaspis Miles / Stratiolaelaps scimitus Womersley won’t go deep enough to provide protection on the roots. I believe Hypoaspis aculeifer are suited for those kinds of depths.

Also cool setup @CrunchBerries , following as well.

13 Likes

Welcome @Maddawg! Thank you! This thread was a labor of love setting up, but I’m glad I followed through. I learned (or relearned) a great deal organizing this thing.

Any and all experiences are welcome, cause I sure as shit don’t know it all.

As @nube said “SIPs are the way, the truth, and the light!”

9 Likes

Welcome aboard @syzygy!

Thank you for the information!

4 Likes

I have these guys too. all over, in the worm bin, in the 3x3 and in the EB. I have white ones and brown ones.
They are my main decomposers at this point, make quick work of pretty much everything.
I was thinking they were Oribatida mite of some kind?

Or BeagleZ clones perhaps , pretty sure they were in the soil when you got the ST

4 Likes

You may be correct. I’ve seen the mites you’re talking about in worm bins before and have even had them attack young worms as well. It would be cool if anyone here has an entomology background and could chime in. From what I’ve read Tyrophagus putrescentiae is a ubiquitous mite species in soil, stored products and house dust and is also pre-packaged with beneficials as a food source for the predators.

High humidity, fungal growth, presence of seeds / fragments / flours cause populations to rise exponentially.

Some more quotes that may or may not give insight into them

The grain or flour mites are one of the most important mites infesting food and feed products, cereals, dried vegetable materials, cheese, corn and dried fruits. Grain mites proliferate under high moisture conditions and are often found in conjunction with fungal growth. Severe infestations result in brownish tinge over the commodity, called “mite dust” because of the light brown coloring of the mite legs.

Grain mites primarily attack the germ. However, they will feed on other parts of the kernel, as well as mold growing on the grain. These mites are responsible for the spread of various fungal spores throughout a grain mass and into adjoining bins. When present in large numbers, the flour or grain mites promote sweating and impart a disagreeable odor to the grain. Grain mites can cause “grocer’s itch” in humans exposed to the mites. Some persons may be allergic to mites.

At humidities less than fifty-five to sixty percent (commodity at twelve percent moisture content or less) grain mites can not survive.

Grain mites are pests that can feed on a variety of processed or finely ground grains, wheat germ, yeast, cheese, powdered milk, flour, or mold spores. Under hot, humid conditions, very large populations of these tiny creatures can develop rapidly. Female grain mites lay up to 800 eggs on the surface of food materials.

8 Likes

Cause he can’t sell you any bottles :joy:

10 Likes

:point_up_2: I approve this message!

I would like to add that my local supply shop is great. I am pretty sure a few of the employees will be doing a SIP run soon…
They also carry BAS products.

8 Likes

I did observe what I guess was mite dust on the floor of my tent after thousands jumped ship.

5 Likes

I’ll have to take a pic of the corner of my tent for you guys lol

4 Likes

Ha! I think I had them last run also, which leads me to believe they came from the BAS 3.0

3 Likes

I will be putting this thread on watch. I would like to understand this method. I see it here but haven’t been able to understand the method.

I top water in fabric pots. I never had soil mites as, I make sure I have a wet very dry cycle.

:green_heart: :seedling:

5 Likes

Welcome @G-paS ! Any questions you may have, feel free to ask away! I hope this to be a safe place to ask questions, share our bogus journeys and triumphs!

The biggest reason this method doesn’t need a dry down is the microbial inoculate (LABS, em1, photosynthesis +)added to the reservoir. Since I’ve been top watering the soil is moist top to bottom 24/7 365 +1/4. Life just explodes when it’s warm, moist and tucked into their little sip bed.

10 Likes

Interesting article on how air effects LABS from my airstones in reservoir research.

The species of the genus Lactobacillus have been traditionally classified as oxygen-tolerant anaerobes , but it has been demonstrated that several strains are able to use oxygen as a substrate in reactions mediated by flavin oxidases and, in some cases, to synthesize a minimal respiratory chain.

https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/AEM.00136-08

9 Likes

If I hear back from him I will definately ask him to come by here he is a great person.

Thanks for the vid all ways good to see other people tek. I expanded my EM1 but I might actually make some LABS this time and only use LABS you know for science.

I’ve posted a video in this forum somewhere with a really simple method for making LABS no milk needed.

This si the video I’m talking about

I live on the other side of the world and don’t have access to BAS but I did use a premixed coots style soil, wasn’t exact but pretty similar and pretty sure they didn’t have MB in it I did top with bokashi a few days before planting

I’m also thinking of doing the same thing I know GrassBurner over on RIU is having great success with his air stones

@CrunchBerries Do you put anything on top of the pipes like landscape cloth? I know Greenthumb used to fill the void with vermiculite in one of his tubs

7 Likes

Watching! @CrunchBerries what are you using to hold the water in your SIP? Corrugated drain pipe? If so, did you put in multiple pieces or just one long piece? I’ve always used one long piece for my veggie SIPs…not sure if it makes a difference.

6 Likes

I’m not really versed in identifiying these critters good or bad so always welcome feed back and what they might be.
I’ve heard there’s a subreddit where they love to identify bugs might be worth posting on there one day.

4 Likes

I did use landscape fabric to cap the ends and vermiculite to fill the voids.

Welcome @unomas! Yes 3 pieces of corrugated drain pipe. These 27 gal’ers hold around 7 gallons of water. I don’t have an over flow hole just a water level gauge that is marked at the 7 gallon level.

10 Likes

I have two 2’x4’x6’ boxes I built and Las year I turned them both into sips. the growth rate rate was amazing but every run I did Last year molded horribly starting 5th or 6th week of flower.
now I have added a 5x5 grow area I want to try sips again. two of those 27 gallon totes would probably be all I could fit in there.

3 Likes