Cultivators Handbook circa 1970 my neighbor let me borrow

Unfortunately the spine is torn, making flipping through it a bit difficult. I’ve only read through the first bit where they cover some fun myths of the time (Good weed can only be grown in certain locations and they can take as much nitrogen as you can give them being two I found interesting) and some basics of the plants. Still, really neat book and a window into the past. At least it’s been an interesting morning.

33 Likes

Came across this gem in a box of my college stuff the other day…

22 Likes

Thats a really nice penciling on the cover. Falling Forwards if you could, would you please try and put up some pictures of some of the content inside. It looks like a good window into the mindset of the community at the time regarding cannabis cultivation. I would love to see more of whats been captured within the pages.

6 Likes

My dad had one of those when I was a kid, but it was lost in a move unfortunately.

2 Likes

I like how thay have huge trees on your book. They actually have a tractor to go out and see to the ganja forest. That building on the cover looks very much like cannabis castle. Do you have any idea when this book was put together please ?

2 Likes

Those are cool pieces! I had a good book, not as vintage. Someone borrowed and didn’t bother returning. Nice coffee er rolling table literature next to the high times

2 Likes

Love the dude with the chainsaw LOL

Was printed in 1974.

The info inside absolutely cracks me up with some of their suggested grow set UPS.

7 Likes

I remember seeing that Ina few used book stores but never picked one up. I’m now curious to read it.

2 Likes

Anyway to scan it? Or just photo the pages?

3 Likes

These would be cool too

3 Likes

I’ll try to scan some pages later and make a pdf…

In the meantime… enjoy this gem

Of particular interest is psychic vibrations, iron nails, blue mold, and carbon monoxide. WOW.

Super high tech!

And the back cover

11 Likes

I want to take scans, but the book itself is almost 90 pages and with the spine in not great shape I’m not sure how well it would hold up. But I have been taking photos of anything that got my attention.

Here’s a bit about males that makes the claims that the leaves are good for smoking I think? This is a claim reinforced a few times in this book and something I’ve heard from quite a few old smokers. Do people smoke leaves? What is actually happening?

Some nice art, good stuff for helping identify plants

Deficiencies

A section on fertilizer, but it talks about a Sister Mary Tibeau who was also intent on growing fat-ass leaves (but also resin production, which makes a lot more sense to me)

How to produce those effects:

Bottom heating your plant

Seed Info (including ammonia nitrogen soak)

5 Likes

iron nails and thumbtacks! LOL! that’s some vintage bro-science right there! Love it.

@FailingForwards , I use adobescan in my phone. it can scan/copy and convert to pdf.

3 Likes

And psychic interference. Not sure there’s a higher level of bro-science than that.

I will check out that adobe scanner. My phone is garbage but my gal has a nice one, if I do scans I’ll use hers. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Jesus blue mould huh

2 Likes

Well. It does work on aged beef lol… :wink:

1 Like

DeAr @FailingForwards and all of the ganja “book lovers” guys !!!

In our PDF free era … of Roberts and Gregs

I have this one to share some images

By Kaio 1983 … Clone leaf cover >>>

3 Likes

I have seen a friend’s copy of that first book “cultivators handbook” it’s a good one.

It’s almost nostalgic now to think back to when books held the key to all knowledge. I had to go buy a Jorge Cervantes book at Tower Records in Boston to get any info on growing in the late 90’s. of course if we lose electricity for any reason we’ll quickly be back to books again…better hang on to it!!

3 Likes
2 Likes

nice, I love astronomy! yes, a coronal mass ejection (CME) could fry our asses any day

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/9-12/features/F_Dangers_of_Solar_Flares_and_CME.html

3 Likes