Dark Sparks with Mr.Sparkle : Growing 2019

Sooo with all this talk about programming the arduino’s, would getting the ihome kit be worth the money and less hassle or is it worth the hassle to program the arduino’s?

5 Likes

Most of the automation I need can be done with the Sonoff gear. Unless you need sub-minute timing that is the easiest rout IME.

6 Likes

@MomOnTheRun Well it depends on what your intended application is, like what you want to use them for. All your base stuff can typically be covered by other means now like @ReikoX mention, or there are prebuilt options like the timer above which does second timing (1-999sec ) @Pedro_Bann for say small pump control which works for me. But apart from that say things like automatic ph logging and adjustment for your reservoirs or auto fill and nutrient addition that needs more control.

3 Likes

I see. Basically, I want less plug ins to deal with…something to replace the manual light timers and temp gauges while adding a humidity gauge to the set up plus it would be awesome to maintain it with an app though probably not cool enough for my budget and would more than likely stick with the individual gauges as its more budget friendly for me :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Well, if all you wanted was a light timer and a digital thermometer/hydrometer, this would serve you well (I own 5).

Sonoff TH16 Wifi Temperature and Humidity Sensor Switch+AM2301 RF Controller for DIY Smart Home,Wireless Remote Control Home Appliances and Work with Amazon Alexa, 1 Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FSHKQ5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0X8nCb2V623A3

If you want to add some more controls the dual is pretty nice

Dual Channels Connection Wireless Module Sonoff Dual Smart WiFi Switch Sonoff Dual for Home Intelligent Automation Remote Power Consumption Measurement Via APP Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076CJ2N5L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_r08nCbM94305F

Or you can go up to 4channels…
Sonoff 4CH R2 4 Channels Wifi… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMN5PP3?ref=yo_pop_ma_share

6 Likes

Now that is more up my alley, Thank you! I’ll see about getting one this summer and try it out in my microcabinet :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yeah ive been running the 4ch pro for my lights in the closet, and its been working good so far.

Watering wise, for this side i got around to filling up my reservoirs slightly and setting the THC15A and turning it on for watering duties as the plants are thirsty, so we will see how one of them (top right above the fan) handles for watering duties.

Also shined up “foiled” the feed risers, instead of being gray, may do the feed heads as well at least around the side of them.

Oh and these came in today ;), but half of these’s are @Jellypowered so they will be heading his way shortly.

19 Likes

Can you link where you purchased timer please

@Mr.Sparkle were did you got that mover? did you made it or what??
love the idea of something like that for a small grow bad for a micro grow

would be either a “thc15a” or for the one above “Digital Trigger Cycle Timer Delay Switch Dual Mos” on whatever your standard sites are… ebay, amazon, aliexpress, ect

Its totally diy, just something to tinker with as practically speaking it gonna probably be more trouble and effort than its worth.

And speaking of that i did tinker a bit today.

First got those seeds which are now sprouts into some hydroton to try out, want to see if i can get then going without any bridge media “rockwool or coco” but i definitely see where the inherent challenges are. Due to that i have it running off that new timer/relay above, so just pulses on for 2 secs every 10min.

Speaking of that timer made a mistake with it in that i have a 1-999 sec or minute limitation with it where in the past i typically would run say a 10 sec watering every 2hrs once in bloom and bigger plants in coco, but cant do that with this timer unless i say do a 1 sec watering every 12 mins to be the same amount, but saying that i except i’ll be watering with more frequently anyways with hydroton, so we will see. Also currently dont have the lights on for it just cause i want to wait till they grow so more and shed their shells, as im concerned about things drying out too quickly right now if i throw the lights and circulation fan on.

Also tinkered with the mini light mover project/idea some more tonight, got it up and working roughly where it would just need some fine tuning wiring wise and a few other things, very basic but having it going now im having second thoughts on it souly for reasons of keeping things simple and having less things that can potentially go wrong, as im definitely adding some extra variables doing this “switch, motor, belt, gear mount, and wiring eventually breaking from consistently moving”

I’ll probably iron out the little details and get it setup so i can trial it for say a week or two, if it goes well i run with it but those warning flags are popping up in my head, which they were before but i just ignored them till i built a prototype.

12 Likes

Thanks again Sparks! Truly appreciated

3 Likes

Well its up and working pretty good and totally functioning as planed… But its coming down :neutral_face:

The motor under the the light load is louder than my exhaust fan just due to the " Ra, ra, ra, ra, ra" nature of the motor and the gears in it, and its just a couple steps back from my “Keep everything as simple as possible goal”

So sometimes it just doesn’t work out…

Saying that here are some more pictures of it just so if anyone wants to borrow the idea they have some reference pictures to look upon.

14 Likes

Sucks about the noise. I came out looking pretty sharp! Looked like you used a togle switch for your end switch? Brilliant! Always enjoy seeing your setups. Excellent designs and grows.
I wondered if you could achieve the same results by adding another light strip and switching the power on the end lights half way through the cycle. Kind of doing the same thing except electronically instead of mechanically. Just a thought.

3 Likes

yes sometimes electronics that have mechanical parts are like that, one of the reason i dont like to be at my wife job, shes a med tech and the sound of all at the same time i dont like it lol . but if need something more quiet , ill put my brain to think , but was an awesome design bro,

2 Likes

Yes it was literally switching its own direction with that switch, so would get to the end and sit the stopper flipping the switch. Had to angle the switch for it to work due to the dead point in the switch that way it would load up pressure wise on the switch but kinda have a run away once it started to move, also had little door gasket foam just as backup to add a little spring to it.

And yeah you could do that, if you were really trying to be nerdy with efficiency, but kinda the whole reason i went down this route was to see what i could do with the light i had.

Im around routers, servers, and telecom equipment all day during the week, so im use to hundreds of fans all running making noise, but at home the quieter the better, the exhaust fan im running you can only hear if your standing beside it “acinfinity t6”

7 Likes

Whelp, it was an awesome try! I am sure someone else may take over the project using your work as a jumping point and work on getting it quieter

1 Like

The plug socket looks like he’s enjoying himself :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I could of wrapped the motor in some sound deadener, as i think i may still have a chunk or two of some dynamat kicking around but may of tossed it, either way the sound would of still transferred through the mounting screws.

But saying that i ran out tonight and picked up some eyelet screws and some angle aluminum, and the new light is all built and installed. Its also predrilled for two more soltrips if needed ;).

But gonna make the other side adjustable like this as well, just need to drill a couple holes, rivet on the mini rope cleats, cut some rope, and screw in some eyelet screws.

@Ghandisflipflop and it does look like it now that you mention it lol

11 Likes

So re shuffled everything and reattached all the pumps to timers and programmed up the one arduino timer for the one with plants on the left side which those ones labeled DDB are actually slightly different in lineage, but yeah i already had a filled res so might as well get everything on there own reservoirs.

So they are i guess good to go, we will see how these hydroton seedlings go… looks like they have been wanting light…

17 Likes

Nice shared exhaust system you built there for the double cabinet. I was looking at the same fan, curious what filter you paired with it - is that a shorter 6" ?

1 Like