Dark Sparks with Mr.Sparkle : Growing 2019

not purposefully shorter compare to some, but its about 18" long, and just a generic filter

1 Like

Day 15/1

Right hand side i upped the feed to 700ppm of maxigro yesterday as they were looking like they needed it, and are starting to pick up speed, i also need to split them up and decided which ones im reversing.

Left side have the DDB’s going but a bit slower than the other DD’s, and the seedling have just sorta popped there first leaves so day 1 for them both the hydroton ones and the lone coco seedling.

Left side also got the adjustable light treatment last night, so apart from redoing some of the wiring to make it more pretty and maybe throwing in a thc15a timer on the left side as well, im pretty comfortable.

Also picked up some other containers and small glass jars to store my weekly use nutrients in, which just makes it more convenient for me apart from the large pint jars i was using and storing in my grow bin.

11 Likes

Day 19/0

So maybe should of updated sooner.

A bunch of stuff has happened where to start. First pretty much after the photos above, i wanted to check on the seedling in hydroton as they looked off, well yeah they dampened off from too much water, so sacrifice to the learning gods.

That new prebuilt timer i was wrong about, it can actually go from 0.1secs all the way up to 999minutes, you just have to change the time format while setting both the on and off event times, “Chinglish cryptic instructions” but have it figured out now and currently running 8sec on 2.5hrs off as ive been testing the hydroton.

Also stumbled across some new square containers which are a tab bigger volume wise but shorter, so the hydroton got them for now. As for testing with the cycle above at 2.5hrs in hydroton is damp 1/3rd the way down and slightly wet on the bottom 1/3rd, so i will give this a go as the starting point for direct to hydroton planting.

The new megacrop arrived, which i wasn’t expecting as soon as it did, was typically a couple weeks before coming to Canada but they are using amazon as warehouse point up here and it came like within a day, but missed it so had to go pick it up at a shipping facility which i put off for 4 days, thinking it was just some filter foam i ordered on amazon.

Dissolves easier, but has bigger white chunks of something so consistency of the mix at lower water mix levels is a concern, but we will give it a go, still expect the skum/sediment issue but we will see. Mixed up one res at 900ppm to run on.

new on the left old on the right, i just decant off into smaller jars for my daily use instead of going into the bag consistently where you can introduce more and more moisture.

As for the plants, moved some of them around, and they had a few hiccups through the week, from under watering from me forgetting to turn the timers on, to over watering because the timers were watering too much for the plants. So shit happens. Only looking to be one mutantish looking one in the group, back left of the right chamber.

The ones in the left chamber are currently the ones being sprayed with CS, but they just got moved over there today and were in the other side.

As for the hydroton seedlings, they are new ones, just put in there today, except for the front left that was the coco seedling in the previous pics, i just plucked it and rinsed off as much coco as possible and threw it into the hydroton, wasn’t my intention but get to see how that works out as also one of the new seeds i started for this second trial run didn’t pop so just fills the space and allows it to be on a similar watering schedule vs the large plants.

16 Likes

Ha-ha! I’ve finally found some dirt or filth proving you’re actually human! :joy:

:evergreen_tree: <— soooo dirty you’d cry

21 Likes

Hah! That’s funny, I’ve gotta say these grows look like something NASA would have on the space station!

8 Likes

Turns out he’s human after all! :robot:

3 Likes

Maybe you could put the Megacrop in a blender to make it all finer, then it might be more consistent for small applications.

5 Likes

This is from yesterday, was wiping down the tops when i was moving stuff and dropped my temp/humidity reader in the drink.

Definitely human lol Washed it off in clean water and shook out as much water ass possible and dried for abit, was concerned the humidity sensor would of died, but seems to be working.

Because of the center drain holes, most stuff gets run off into the res.

Which i guess brings this up

First picture is maxi-gro after a week plus of circulation, circular debris fields due to the dripping from the lid.

Second picture is Megacrop after 2 days, notice the sediment build up, just the way it is or works with coco in my setup. Being agitated maddle the little ripples normally circular fiels as well of one thin layer

12 Likes

This sediment is with the new Megacrop formulation? Or were you still using the original at this point?

I have the same problem, and am really hoping the new formulation will work better.

4 Likes

Dude, impressive.That’s a nice tight room you have there.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t grind any coffee in there after the MegaCrop! It will taste like ass!
:cowboy_hat_face:

7 Likes

I almost don’t want to know… But I gotta ask… you talking from experience? Ass is a flavor I have tried to avoid. :slight_smile: LMFAO. @oleskool830

11 Likes

Day 22 / 3

They are picking up now, im guessing i partially locked them up when they went dry then i watered them with regular feed, think they just shut down uptake and sipped it a bit before returning.

As for the Hydroton seedlings, the two in the back look to be growing, and somewhat happy, hopefully this keeps up, then i have a rough starting point on some variables… will be adding 2 more seeds to the hydroton probably tomorrow or the next day, need to wait for them to grow a long enough tail and be pretty much shedding there shell, or at least thats where i figure i need to start them at.

13 Likes

Hahahahaha! I should have clarified that based on the odor, it should taste like ass. Excellent :cowboy_hat_face:

9 Likes

Day 24/5/0

Couple more sacrifices to the cause of learning this hydroton business, two of @reikox crosses these being The Devil #1 x Lowryder if i recall, never marked them just cause i wasn’t starting multiple types, well yet.

Also changed out the nutrient water, just cause it had been 2 weeks and i was noticing a little salt build up from evaporation, but ppm’s were higher than at what i had put in initially, so just swapped out. running 500-550ppm of maxigro

The plants im reversing are taking their time, but just went into bud mode so we will see, ill keep at it till i have pollen pods about to open. After this inward crossing i’ll be looking for a male to join the party as play breeding is just easier that way, no lesbo sex changing tranny action going on. Front left will most likely be the “Chosen One”.

Other side is doing well, i see some candidates to pollinate, and some definitely not too, but i want stable healthy growth first, then characteristics second on this run. I want to see if and how much growth oddities carry forward while selecting around them.

Oh and rearranged all the plants and flopped two of them, just cause they will yield better structure wise doing so.

Edit: Forgot to add that i had the feed higher but some signs popped up, so diluted for now at 750ppm maxigro/bloom on the right and 725ppm ish of the new Megacrop 2.0, have a feeling the formulation is different and with more N possibly or at least the level i tried it at which would of been fine with the old v 1.0 but thats just my initial impression barring less light per area i got going on currently.

Won’t stay like this for long, but ill be re adjusting them through the week.

15 Likes

day 28/9/4

right side is growing fine, left side the sprayed plants i removed one, and the hydroton plants arent happening, started some more seeds but i think i need a bridge media, still a couple things to try left.

18 Likes

Been busy, so quick update.

Guess were looking at Day 32/1

The day one just for some seedlings i let go too long in paper towel but im just shotgunning them into the hydroton to see what they will do roots wise. Picked up some rockwool starter cubes Tuesday anyways to see how seed starts go as a comparisons and something to build too.

Me being frugal and conscious of the waste and the production aspect behind “stuff” im still wanting a goal as far as a reusable media, but im probably gonna have to work toward a reusable media for seedling starts “smaller particle size,maybe more air” but thats something i will figure out in time. But for after this last batch ill start trying rockwool starter cubes just to first see if i can get good starts with so i then can work towards learning hydroton a bit better watering amount vs what roots need in this environment.

As for the Dark Sparks they are starting to want some pollen but its not ready yet… I will be doing a sort and pick through them in the next bit, mind you i already have them roughly picked out with whats gonna happen but now im just waiting for pollen which gives some extra time to see expression. Anyways, probably just gonna transfer the ones that i don’t want to make seeds with to the other side and possibly grow out, and transfer the pollen plants over in the swap. or cull some grow out others and make seeds from a couple. But that will be probably in a couple days time.

Some moms to be.

Reversed plants

And just a shot of one of the reversed plants cause its interesting, im most likely gonna use the other plant for pollen, but ill probably target pollinate a bunch of lowers with this one which is from a different expression branch just for my own curiosity sake.

19 Likes

Looking mighty fine sir!!!

1 Like

Day 34/3

Filled the reservoirs around mid day as i had some free time, they had gone through their 5ish liters since Tuesday, The maxi reservoir just got a fill at around 800ppm beign a mix of gro and bloom “3:5 ppm wise”, but the megacrop got a rinse out as i acquired some spring tail larvae in one or a couple of the plants a few weeks back but they been mainly washing out into the reservoir, and typically just the megacrop reservoir probably due to the organic compostable compounds in there so it just got a rinse and fill with around 800ppm of the v2 megacrop.

Also per usual ive moved around some plants just for my own sake, oh and i guess i culled 2 plants since last update and moved the reversed plant over as well.

Were just waiting on pollen now.

Also some more hydroton seedlings that i let go really long in a papertowels/ziplock bag, which i just buried in hydroton, also started misting the top of the hydroton today, as i want to see how well that helps with humidity levels in the top zone, will help wash down any salt build ups too.

Also started 4 seeds today, they will be going into rockwool started cubes though, and are all different plants that i haven’t run before so we will see if they start and take off.

12 Likes

I think I remember reading some of your old threads on another forum that you used a couple drops of bleach in your PC grow reservoir? Is that right and do you still do the same?
I ordered some of those dark devil and red poison auto’s and can’t wait to give them a shot!

3 Likes