Dark Sparks with Mr.Sparkle : Growing 2019

There definitely is some smokable stuff how much no idea, but also have to consider its been pretty much shredded or picked through, ill be turning it into resin as thats my prefered method of consumption but probably alcohol extraction instead of pressing just due to it being picked through and possible the odd dud seed.

As for ratio, as much as possible of both ??? lol

7 Likes

Thanks @Mr.Sparkle. Do you have an amazing new fangled method for alcohol extraction? I’m gonna try it. Doing dry ice hash currently. Lazy mans concentrate! Much Respect

:kissing_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Yeah a single dud seed can ruin a press… ask me how I know… :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

Yes, I’d like to hear your take on ISO extraction too. I’ve tried it a few times over the years with results ranging from awesome to pretty crappy lol

2 Likes

My opinion on ISO is it’s great for cleaning or topical applications. I wont use it for smokable or edible extractions. I use rosin for smoking, then food grade ethanol for edibles.

5 Likes

Thanks @ReikoX. Where does one Aquire this food grade ethanol?

:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Everclear (95% ethanol) is sold in liquor stores here.

5 Likes

Ok I have that! Thanks

3 Likes

Check its 190 proof, they also sell an 80 proof version.

3 Likes

“Rosin” are you talking about squish rosin or a product of this type extraction? I’m studying.

2 Likes

Squishy, heat and pressure, yes.

4 Likes

Well if im smoking it ill take rosin anyday over resin as its just better, more flavorable, with the smells to boot.

Im just alcohol extracting because its relatively easy to do on leftovers. Now I do methanol extraction, just cause its easy for me to get methanol by the 4 liter jug, yes methanol is poisonous and could kill you if you drank enough of it, but in the end its being off gassed and any minor concentrations that is left over is less than what a beer would probably have as considering low amount of methanol is formed along side the ethanol and co2 we enjoy.

But i just dry my bud out, break it up if i desire throw it in jars and into the freezer with a bottle of methanol till frozen.

Then i take them out do a timed soak* and swirl 30sec-1min:30secs or so followed by being dumped into a coffee filter thats in a fine mesh strainer thats usually in/on glass jar funnel thats on a appropriate sized jar, but i usally follow that up with a quick wash of the stuff in the filter with fresh ethanol, then squeeze out the coffee filter, all with in a timely fashion as im trying to limit methanol/material contact time, as the longer it goes the more of the less desirable stuff comes out.
*If using ethanol you need a bit longer soaks , but that liquid goes back into the freezer for over night at least “winterization” and allows fine particulates to drop out, and is re filtered before throwing it in dishes glass or silicone and or i use parchment paper to do the same thing, and add some heat if i desire things to go quicker, but you drive off the nice smells with that.

Saying that already have resin going just need to finish the rest

11 Likes

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

Or it can turn you into a rockstar?

4 Likes

Well playing around today, was going through the plants smelling and observing the flowering ones and potentially tossing a seedling or two “a pepper and a Easy D seedling” for some new seedling space.

So the flowering Blue Tooth and Blow Mind “respectively below” their smell and structure aside from my issues were just “whatever” Blowmind smelled like soap “ivory” and greenery and was small because it was the furthest along age wise and with issues, the Blue Tooth was just a curly mess with nothing much for smell just menthol and greenery so figured screw it ill toss them to make some more space and shuffle things around. mentality of “keep the best, toss the rest”.

The other two plants the Sour Crinkle has a Lilac Greenery smell with a bit of bite to it and subtle sweetness, and the other is one of my pass crosses, but just a fresh greenery smell "grass, shrubs, healthy garden bed type smell.

Anyways to the meat of this post. The root pucks on the two i pulled are like bricks, can maybe dent them 1/4" if im trying to crush it and the plants only used about half of the pot volume too, but alot of root for that small space and shows in the stem base size.

But here’s what has me thinking, ripped one root ball apart “took some work” but sucker is way dense and look at the inner roots. to me looks like a perfect environment for anaerobic conditions.

So has me thinking that i grew the roots so dense that it created an environment where anaerobic conditions would flourish and my watering method couldn’t keep up and that the recent added H2O2 was helping but also point to all the pH rising issues i was having. Now thinking about that to fix issues my feed water would ideally need the most amount or DO possible aka flume pumps, potential coolers, h202 frequent use, and even still super dense, im not sure i could counter it, apart from going straight hydro so the roots wont be packed together and i will still probably have to do all of the above to keep things happy anyways.

So has me thinking on going back to coco to keep things simple, as after considering the work that will be needed to reuse the Leca “Hydroton” even if drying and breaking it up after, then washing it, and the extra steps needed to keep things happy res wise with a possibility for quite a bit more res nutrient waste, plus needing rockwool for starters it makes Leca seem pretty wasteful, vs one time use coco that is just getting composted after…

14 Likes

Those roots look really healthy to me, but I could see how dense roots like that with hydroton could create ‘pockets’ or pools of water with no air exchange. I wonder if giving them a gentle, but kinda vigorous shaking would loosen them up a bit day to day

I’ve just started using coco myself, and its definitely the easiest medium I’ve ever tried, I’m amazed at how well it works.

5 Likes

First there bricks at this point and doing so would just break the roots leaving bits that would need to decompose aiding in the issues anyways. As for above the color being that brown color is not healthy, sure the clay adds to the color but still shows a root zone that has some issues.

Saying that “No Remorse” lol, started some seeds tonight and gonna grab some coir in the next day or two but i’ll be hunting some chunky stuff if i can

13 Likes

For sure… I’ve noticed using that fine coir that they have some issues getting a root foot hold… Next I’ll be using crutons or chips

6 Likes

I’m using the fine stuff with about 20% chunky coco mixed in and they love it, but holy they dry out fast. 100% chunks would be nice, but no good for my setup. I think with an automatic watering system like MrSparkles it would totally slay.

6 Likes

Well i was going to suggest just popping in the hydroton in the bottom of the pots that came from the top to make use of the full pot but no need now.

I too will not be using hydroton again and after my current soil run will be switching to coco croutons after finally finding a source (apparently people grow orchids in them)

I bet you are happy with 1000+ seeds per plant.

Keep smiling

9 Likes