Decarb plus bake or just bake?

Hi peoples,

Just wondered if i need to decarb some hash before mixing into butter to use in brownies or if the cooking process of the brownies does the decarbing in itself?

Just want to know so i don’t overcook all the potency out of it.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes you need to decarb the hash for best result, go low and slow. Then you can melt it into your butter and bake some awesome goodies.

Pz :v:t2:

10 Likes

Why doesn’t it decarb during the baking process though?

The baking process is a hotter temp and the same time as for decarb, it seems like decarbing twice.

8 Likes

The oven temperature is higher but the temperature of the baked good is nowhere near that hot, when you decarb you’re heating the the to that actual temp, maybe a little clearer, when you put hash in the oven at 250 the hash gets to an actual 250 degrees, when you bake something the oven might be 450 let’s say but the actual baked good gets no where near that temperature. Kinda like meat to, turkey goes in at 350 but it’s done when it gets to like 165

12 Likes

I’m not sure iv always decab

I know it sounds like it would work but I don’t believe it does!

But I know for a fact that our @Gardenartus can explain if she’s on the boards

4 Likes

Internal temps won’t get to where they need to be and you’ll have a lot of THC that isn’t converted/decarbed when you toss it in with the other ingredients to bake. Mixtures take longer to heat up than individual items. When by itself it’ll come to temp faster. Also not sure your decarbs practices, but like lonely said, I go low and slow. You can probably get by by throwing it in, but it’ll go a lot further if you decarb separately. Just my opinion of course

Whoops didn’t mean to echo @Naptown916 didn’t see your comment before I sent mine

6 Likes

ahhhh, thanks guys, i usually decarb and then melt/ infuse into butter and mix into a ‘no bake’ recipe but i want to do a baking recipe, so i shall decarb as regular.

i read that about 220f for 35 minutes should be good and has worked for me in the past.

1 Like

How did the Freakshows turn out for you? Nice to see you posting.

Very well explained. Thanks. Not sure why I didn’t think about it that way… probably since by the time I get the munchies…well the air fryer these days is much quicker than the oven!

3 Likes

Hello @irrepairable-vessel and all OGs,

you want to decarb it without air before you use it
for baking or cooking.

Best wishes

Bud

2 Likes

Even if you use the oven it’s a 30 min process, it’s also a chemical reaction so faster isn’t necessarily better, there are graphs out there that show decarb over time based on heat exposure

Easy way to do it is to buy an oven thermometer, get your oven to 250 or whatever you feel is a good decarb temp, put your hash on a piece of parchment paper and bake it 30 min, take the parchment out and put it in the freezer for 10 minutes, this will make it easier to take off the parchment paper, then heat up whatever your infusing till it’s warm and knock the frozen hash into the mix and stir :v:

1 Like

And how would you decarb without air?

2 Likes

by putting my crushed buds in a mason jar, lighting some cotton wool, throwing it in, and then quickly screwing the lid on.

The flame consumes the oxygen until it suffocates.
This glass is then placed in boiling water for at least 2 hours.

Or you can take a vacuum bag and remove the oxygen with the vacuum sealer. These are boil-safe and can also be cooked.

Best wishes

Bud

2 Likes

what is the purpose of removing the air stop oxidization extra step what do you gain

1 Like

Yes it stopps the oxidization. I read it somewhere and tried it. They are empirical values.

1 Like

thanks for asking. I was eventually gonna have to be the guy who asked this, and you spared me. :slight_smile:

still not sure of what that would do to taste, potency what i thought of first off was stealth i live in an apartment it is legal here just really fumy i kinda like it the smell, never thought about it but this Christmas i was cooking some in the oven and went down to the mail room to older ladies were in there and were talking about the smell and one of them was really getting sick from it as she just started a round of cemo need to bake again soon and have been really thinking how then your post came along glad i am here

1 Like

none of the variants is without smell.
You won’t be able to hide it.

Simply heating it in the oven also works, but if you want to unleash the full potential and get as many terpenes as possible, I recommend the methods without oxygen.

2 Likes