Defrosting for decarbing?

Hell everyone I have a question can’t find it after searching the page !!

I have to vacuum sealed baggies of trimmings left over from last grow took them out of the freezer should I let them defrost and dry before decarbing

1 Like

I suppose your method of decarbing and your intended processing will factor in…

I’ve been making RSO for years now, and I never prepped the trim before making the RSO. I usually use dried, frozen trim to start off with.

For me, the distilling process, followed by the additional time spent heating the oil to remove the rest of the solvent, provides enough heat for enough time to ensure the final product is decarbed.

So if you’re making RSO, I’d dry the trim first, but no other prep is required.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information I don’t know what RSO is though…

I plan on decarbing in the oven always used fresh trim just don’t know if the steam will effect said matter

1 Like

RSO is Rick Simpson Oil. It’s a cannabis oil or cannabis concentrate. Plenty of info on OG and the interwebs. I even posted a “how to” HERE.

For your situation, the steam won’t affect the final product, but it will likely fill your home with a wonderful aroma for quite a while! Just spread it as thin as you can on a large cookie sheet. If you have some parchment paper, you may want to line the cookie sheet.

1 Like

Duhh yes I deff heard of RSO now that you have enlongated said abbreviation …

I have heard many good things healthy wonderful things about it !

The aroma I wish I could twist a faint hint of cinnamon in there and then it would be seasonal lmao well that thanks hair

240’f 40 mins

Then plan on infusing it with coconut oil best results with it rather then butter taste cleannn

2 Likes

I can’t speak to this from experience, but when you freeze plant material that’s still wet, the cell walls burst, so you’re probably gonna have a soggy pile if you defrost first. Steam shouldn’t be a big problem, because the cannabinoids aren’t water soluble, but I would make sure it’s spread out to a single layer before it goes in the oven.

3 Likes

So I have 110 grams of trimmings how much should I do in a batch

I’d say do a small test batch to make sure it doesn’t just fuck everything up, and then you can put as much as will fit on a tray without making a second layer. Give the plant material room to dry evenly, without big clumps all together

1 Like

Ehy it was alright more tired then anything from it 55grams of trim into 1 1/2 cup oil
… think I’m gonna add the other 55 grams to what we infused already see if that makes a difference

@Rabeats2093 - Just about to tuck into a freezer full of fresh frozen here. What was your method from that point? Long low temp in the oven? Slow decarb straight into the butter?
Thanks in advance!
Stay up
Coffin_Dodger
:ghost: :raccoon:

2 Likes

Hey there I never let it defrost I know that but this was from 2 years ago …our cannabis culinary skills have improved slightly … only down fall is
We have a propane stove and do not like decarbing the material in the oven anymore to unpredicatable temperature wise,so now mainly the crockpot right in with the unsalted butter and some water ! As long as you want on low /warm depending on crockpot you don’t want it to get over a certain temp !
@Coffin_Dodger

2 Likes