(complete) Holy Smoke Seeds Peshawar Afghan Coop Seed Run

These are the pictures that got me excited about Peshawar. There’s lots of conflicting info on this strain, but surely the large Peshawar plant looks like the pheno in these pictures​:drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:. I sure hope so! There also seems to be longer flowering phenotypes… up to 14 weeks apparently. Seems a bit long for an Afghan, but only by a week. Traditional Hindu Kush strains flower -11-13 weeks.
One write up mentioned a massive stretch when flowering commences. Most likely the various descriptions are of the different phenotypes we can expect. Some Sativa dominant Afghan strains can reach 20 feet in height, so some respectable stretch is likely with at least some of them.
I’m taking two cuttings of the first big Peshawar today. This one will be a keeper, nearly certain. ( she told me)Very unique stem rub with a hard to describe smell. Suffice to say its a smelly one😁.

55 Likes
9 Likes

https://www.seed-city.com/history-of-the-afghan-strains
A good, short read. Good info except for the last part about Afghan genetics being brought to Morocco thousands of years ago. King Solomon most likely gifted the Berbers their genetics around 2,000 years ago OR Arab traders brought cannabis to Morocco 800 years ago.( I suppose technically Arabs and The Israelis themselves probably had cannabis from Afghanistan). All other info is solid.

26 Likes

Very interesting… Good on you Buddy… I be watching along.

Good luck

5 Likes

Same here, I like watching your grows @Upstate, Pashawar plants have some massive buds, I like it :peace_symbol:

7 Likes

I love the wide canopy. Excellent breeding by the Afghan farmers and Excellent selections by Holy Smoke Seeds.

17 Likes

This is awesome upstate! You are involved in so many cool projects🤗

On a side note, did monkeypuzzlegenetics get their account deleted on IG? They made a dubious post, almost bragging about collaborating with Khmer war criminals a week or 2 back. Not sure if you saw that or what you thought of it. I asked a clarifying question and didn’t get a response. Wondering if I’m blocked now🤔

5 Likes

Another thread I need to watch. Looking forward for them to show what they got.

6 Likes

Be nice to follow this. Just waiting on delivery of 6 afghani strains including maruf kandahar red. So looking forward to running some heirloom ibl lines.

6 Likes

Yes it was deleted. I read his khmer comment saying how complex the Cambodian revolution was. Lots of unwilling participants in the killings and I think it’s some of these people that he knows. The fact is you can’t do business in Cambodia without bumping into someone that was involved in the killings and knowing those people can keep you alive in some bad situations over there. I’ll post over on the Lambsbread thread his new address. It’s pretty close to being the same. His account was deleted because someone repeatedly asked him seed sale info without taking it to direct message, which is a no no on IG.

21 Likes

Fascinating info here. I never think sativa type with afghan. Looking forward to watching this grow.

4 Likes

Coming along…
They need more N than the Sativas I’ve become used to. Will get a picture of the big one shortly. The newest plants should show sex in a couple/ few weeks.

53 Likes

Meet Joe. Joe Peshiwar :rofl::joy:

55 Likes

Looks pretty wicked dude!

8 Likes

It’s a really nicely shaped plant. After growing mostly sativa Landraces from overseas i can really appreciate the efforts of the Afghani farmers and their breeding work to get such symmetrical plants. Of course Nick at Holy Smoke deserves some credit too, but all us Westerners do is selections. The bulk of the breeding work has already been done by the time we get involved. ( regarding landrace strains only of course. Americans and others are great breeders too)
Last night was night one of flower for the big one. If i time my watering i can lift it without messing my back up. Looks like it is starting to stretch a bit.
It seems the Peshawar handled a surprise frost last week or the week before. Good to know.

29 Likes

Looks awesome.

I have a question about afghan genetics. I believe your the one to ask @Upstate. I think I read you explaining the difference between highland and lowland afghan. If I am remembering correctly could you point me to the explanation please

8 Likes

The Highlands of Afghanistan, specifically the Hindu Kush range, had their own landrace Afghan that is short, stout, smelly and has big flowers. The Afghan we are all familiar with. Traditionally this landrace was not used in breeding. The traditional crop of Afghanistan was sativa in nature, coming from the north from places such as Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan and acclimated to the drier Afghan climate for hundreds or perhaps even a couple thousand years or more.
This sativa is responsible for the very large phenotypes( up to 20 feet) found in Afghani landrace strains such as
Mazar-i- Sharif, Sheberghan and Balkhi. Until the 1950s the hash for Afghanistan was made using the sativas. At that time this guy took the throne of Afghanistan

and encouraged local farmers to incorporate the Highland land race to Aid in resin production and flower size. The local Afghan Farmers always considered the sativa to have a better High and until this day farmers use the latest flowering ( now hybrid)plants for their own head stash.

43 Likes

Thank you for your reply.

I would assume the Hindu Kush flowers faster than all the rest.

4 Likes

@Emeraldgreen…Yes the Hindu Kush land race can flower faster and is what gives us the eight week flowering time we all enjoy. The Hindu Kush landrace can also flower longer…up until about 12 or 13 weeks for unworked versions like Tora Bora aka spin ghar/ white mtn. The lowland sativas were slightly longer flowering, up to 14 weeks. Say 11- 14 weeks range.

24 Likes

Great info mate @Upstate

9 Likes