Did my first run in my home freeze dryer came out awesome

take a look 25 hours and i took it out rolled it up and its delicious and perfectly dried and smells great covered in crystals image|375x500

31 Likes

I just got access to a freeze drier. What is the process for this, and where can I get more info?

4 Likes

This sounds awesome. How much was that freeze drier though? I’m not seeing one for less than $2000 :confused:

8 Likes

Freeze drying cannabis intrigues me, but I always hit one sticking point that I can’t seem to get answered. Maybe you can help.

chlorophyll Burns very harshly, and most curing processes, breaking down the chlorophyll is a big part of them.

How do you break down the chlorophyll when freeze drying?

11 Likes

Did you make a freeze-drier or what? :thinking:

I’ve put the harvest in a plain-jane refrigerator freezer & got decent results but not ideal. Way better than the stuff that got too hot & dry but still not perfect. :blush:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

mighta started something here @nygrower13

Man those freeze driers are not cheap, but lots of fun stuff can be made with them hehe

7 Likes

Found this on the net.

In freeze drying the cell walls are cracked open making it is easy for the biomass to absorb moisture from the air. When freeze dried cannabis comes out of a freeze dryer and is exposed to oxygen. The oxygen, moisture, and enzymes (which are still 100% potent) will cause degradation of chlorophyll in 1 - 4 hours depending on humidity.

15 Likes

@SEMOActivist
Interesting, can’t seem to find any research papers that verify that fact though. I’m not sure the enzymes survive the freeze drying process(edit:enzymes are not alive). Not saying they don’t, but the company that makes that specific claim you posted doesn’t seem to list a source and is also trying to sell you a machine, so definitely take that with a big handful of salt unless verified in some way

I’ll do some more digging,

In the meantime I found this, a paper about preserving the essential oils of various herbs, and depending on which oils/terpenes/esthers etc you are trying to preserve, it seems the best method may differ. Just skimmed it, but will follow up later

4 Likes

Look into Microalgae and green algae drying methods, There has been a lot of work on that for years. You should be able to find some research papers that way.

3 Likes

Will do. Thanks for the direction.

What is the primary application for said algae? Health food, fertilizer, something else?

It has a multitude of uses, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, biofuels, thickening agent in ice-creams, dairy products, rubber, paints, shaving creams, adhesives, and in the textile industry and more uses.

1 Like

Gotcha, I was more referring my to specifically which uses /types of algae require the breakdown of chlorophyll to narrow my search a bit. I know some of them, spirulina for instance doesn’t seem to have any of the chlorophyll degraded when you see the freeze dried powder.

I’m not the best when it comes to searching for all the academic stuff.

I am very familiar with a lot of the hydrocolloid type uses of seaweeds (agar, carrageenan, etc). I was under the impression that for most of those uses they are processed beyond a simple dry/cure.

I’ll do some digging when I have a chance to really dig in.

Use google scholar to find scientific papers. Do a search on chlorophyll

https://scholar.google.com/

1 Like

$2100.00 i can do 4-7 lbs per run plus i can freeze dry foods for camping, storge even on my horse backing adventures easy to carry and prepare my garden is healthy as well so i get to freeze my home grown organic foods i think it was a smart investment i happy with it

7 Likes

i like my new toy the more i learn the more creative i can get with it kinda feels like Christmas

1 Like

already have many people who want to start growing after seeing my results

1 Like

Then there is the blonde bubble hash you can make. And then yellow rosin from that. I want one for that one single purpose. Its still to much money for my current situation tho. Not sure i would use it for weed and food though. I’ve never used one so I have no idea really, but wouldn’t the food possibly leave smells in there? I guess I’m thinking about the inside of my nasty microwave and getting an inaccurate mental image.

2 Likes

I’m with you man. I have a dab press, but I haven’t been real happy with dry ice hash, or pressed bud. A buddy in CO worked with a guy making carts, and he said the FD makes all the difference. He said they’d put wet bubble hash in it in at night, and the next morning they’d have this crystally powder that pressed, “like a dream”. Those little bastards are expensive. Still, I love dabs man, and I’m sure I’ve bought at least $2K worth during Covid.

Hmmm, I guess it’d be cheaper to just buy a freeze dryer, wouldn’t it? Where’s Guitarjane at? :laughing:
:guitar:

7 Likes

try freeze drying some ice cream. and some skittles candy

2 Likes