Diesel guys...06 powerstroke 6.0

I just aquired a very nice 2006 F250 King Ranch FX4 6.0 turbo diesel truck. Runs well, outside the fact it pressurizes the coolant from a blown head gasket…lol. Any ways, have any of you guys done these engines? I was wondering what kit you used. I was looking at this “revive” one.

3 Likes

Apr studs a must. The 6.0 is just a accident waiting to happen. Now if you are nice to it and don’t abuse it much it should be okay after the rebuild. Its a major issue with them unfortunately. I’m a duramax guy, but also love Cummins. Worked for kenworth for many years

3 Likes

Oh also look for the thicker head gaskets.

2 Likes

Well, I’m running a 6.0 powerstroke…by default :rofl::joy:

2 Likes

The most important part is having the heads pressure checked by a machine shop. The fuel injection modules are the main failure i have seen on those engines. Arp studs are not needed at all for a stock rebuild. Next common failure is turbo failures. You do realise cooling systems operate under pressure? I would be preforming a cooling system combustion gas test before deciding the head gasket is blown. Not a very common problem for them no matter what the youtube crowd might have you believing.

2 Likes

Brother, it’s a head gasket issue. :+1:You can watch the exhaust exit the radiator. Pretty tough to miss…lolol
Besides, I do not think the pressure should be going over 20psi as the cap blows off after start up :joy::rofl:

I also have been doing this myself long enough, to know that 6.0 has head problems without talking to either side, let alone listening to them :rofl::joy:

But seriously brother, it’s a blown head on it. :+1: It is just a stock rebuild though on the top end that I am going to do. And that kit looks fairly complete, and added in a turbo rebuild kit for it.

I am aware of the FIM issues also, and this one appears to have a reman put in it at some point. :+1: Which saves me from fixing it, so that’s a plus :grin:

The good news is what I have in the truck to get it…900 bucks shipping. (I had no idea you could ship a vehicle across the country so cheap) :+1:. So no issues putting a few bucks in her to bring it up to par.

1 Like

Sure sounds decent though. Especially for something I was told won’t run, and hadn’t been started in 4 years. :grin:

How many miles and how much you pick it up for?

1 Like

180 on it, I have 900 in it. (I just had to cover shipping it)

4 Likes

Damn! Nice score I hope it works out for ya!

1 Like

@newb2.0 thanks :+1:

It will work out, I don’t own anything that wasn’t blown up or busted before I got it :joy::rofl: I call it living ghetto fabulous :grin:
That’s how we have lived debt free, and have everything paid for. (All the while on a single income, under 50 grand and a stay at home wife) Having skills to fix what society throws away :+1: And moving to a far lower of cost living area was our biggest thing we did to change our financial situation :+1:

11 Likes

We’re the same way. Moved somewhere dirt cheap and live simply.

Our clothes are mostly secondhand, furniture is all secondhand, one decent paid off reliable family car. I’m wearing a 12 year old shirt, currently. Even our dog is secondhand (retired greyhound) lol.

I got family that practically kill themselves working purely to buy shit they don’t need or even seem to actually enjoy. One in particular is miserable but he has new cars and a house 2x as big as he needs lol.

2 Likes

@vernal facts brother :+1:

Those King Ranch leather seats are fuckin’ choice too.

Parts value that thing alone is worth way more than $900. Helluva deal, nice score.

2 Likes

I used to have an 07 f-250 with th 6.0. I had to replace the ficm, voltage issues to the injectors, and the egr got deleted.

Now I picked up an 08 king ranch with the 6.4. Replaced an idler pully, shocks, tie rod ends, ball joints. It does have weird electrical issues. Nothing serius, seats don’t always move, heater fan seems to only have 2 speeds. But I really like that truck!

1 Like

This truck does seem to a nice ride @vernal :+1:

I am guilty of having several cars, rather nice ones. BUT I paid pennies for each, just like this truck, and fixed them. I used to sell them, but one day I decided to stop, and just keep it all for myself…lolol

I think my kids are waiting for me to kick off :joy::rofl:
They have my camaro collection divided up already :rofl::joy:

1 Like

The seats in the king ranch are my second favorite car seats ever

1 Like

Hell thats the cost of just a driver seat :joy::laughing::joy::laughing::joy:

1 Like