DIY clone shipper idea

So I’ve got a few friends and relatives I’ll be sending clones to and instead of buying several $30 clone shippers I was thinking I could use a small led flashlight in a little domed container kept warm with a glove warmer. Think this would work?

2 Likes

No need for light or heat , overkill : )

4 Likes

Even for winter shipments? Gonna be pretty cold up north.

2 Likes

Suppose if I get them rooted and hardened off first it shouldn’t be a huge deal

1 Like

I would roll the dice
If anything I would have thought the cold and dark would have helped the transit ( help stall them for their journey ) , be more in summer heat I would worry maybe

2 Likes

i use these : Clone Shipper 3 Plant cell Seed Tray Rockwool or Plugs Propagation Germination | eBay

i dont use or get the lights i send out priority mail, i soak the cubes and spray the inside good, then wrap real good with saran wrap, if the mail is on time they are good, ive had people get them in a week and still good, this was in the hot summer, as far as winter goes i havent shipped any then,
hope this helps

3 Likes

They’re getting overnight shipping so I probably shouldn’t worry so much is what y’all are saying😅

2 Likes

They won’t even blink and they be there not even realising what happened : )

Takes clones 2-3 w to get to me , with nothing fancy I get 3-4 out of 5 that make it , no worries

2 Likes

As long as overnight temperatures aren’t significantly lower than freezing they’ll be fine. If it is middle of winter and very cold, you can buy 72 hr heatpacks. Right now is a perfect time to ship for almost all the country. Chilly is better than hot for shipping. Insulate the box with whatever you got laying around. Paper bags, plastic bags, etc.

You don’t need a light.

Snips in a ziploc bag with a little air, not too tight.
Stems wrapped with moist paper towels. Not sopping wet. Drier is better than too wet. Doesn’t need to be complicated.

Received and sent many clippings…not just Cannabis, either. Lots of aquatic plants which are much more sensitive. I’ve had Cannabis cuts in a box as long as 11 days and they still rooted. Only a couple times out of dozens was I unable to root what was sent and that’s because they froze.

8 Likes

If you’re Overnight shipping. Plastic ziplock bags work wonders, no need for extra gadgets. Even in the winter. I prefer shipping rooted and have had 100% success with a ziplock inside a vacuumed sealed bag and that was via usps 2-5 days :+1:t3:

6 Likes

You can take cuttings put them in a baggie and shove it in the fridge for up to 1month…the cuttings will go into stasis…

4 Likes

Something I found this summer at Canada Post is they have flat rate boxes.

So for $18.50 you get a 35cm x 26 cm x 5cm (10.5" x 14" x 2") box, weight limit is 5Kg (11Lbs), postage, tracking & 3 day delivery (in Canada).

That would hold a mess of clones…

Cheers
G

4 Likes

These cuttings were shipped from across the big pond in UK to USA, Illinois…pink dots are the stems…these are K2 cuttings…

11 Likes

Like others have said, ship cuttings in a zip lock bag. I prefer not shipping rooted clones or media of any kind. I fact, if I receive a rooted cut, I cut it and discard the media. That being said, I will never take in a clone without testing it for viruses first. Burn me once, shame on you; burn me twice, shame on me. :+1::seedling:

13 Likes