Do you have a seed will?

I am sitting here thinking about all of the great folks we have lost from our Community. Heime Cheeba and OleKool is gone this year. Last year was BOG and Neville. When you consider all of the people who stayed in the shadows then it probably numbers in the thousands. We are losing not only the oral history that these people carried with them, but also perhaps the genes they might have worked with for decades.

Which leads me to my ultimate point here. Do you have a seed will? Not a will for your property, but a will for your seeds? Life is so uncertain that I have decided to put a will in my ā€œseed vaultā€. My seed vault is a metal water bottle where I store all my seeds and keep in the vegetable crisper drawer.

My family knows I have been a grower for many years and that my seeds are very important to me. Despite that, if I died tomorrow they would have no clue what to do with them. I have decided to leave a few friends emails written down with instructions inside of that seed vault. God forbid anything happens to me, but even years after the incident if someone found that water bottle they would have my collection preserved, along with a note about how important they are to me and how to get in touch with my friends here.

It is just something to think about. Whether you are a breeder, a preservationist, or just spent thousands of dollars on seeds. I donā€™t want all that work to just go in the garbage. I want to share it.

56 Likes

Definitely a good plan I donā€™t know exactly how else to ensure preservation and safety of the geneticsā€¦

7 Likes

we need a weed seed bank. who is willing to be the custodian? i wish i could.

upon reflecting a moment longer, i think it should be a scholarly venture if done in the us, and who better than that dr from ut who has the videos. i wonder if there is any money for a seed bank in his financing.

2 Likes

My son has been instructed to secure the stash and complete the mission: Overgrow the worldā€¦

35 Likes

On news apon my Passing my seed vault will be divided amongst family one portion will be mailed to all 50 states and common wealth with instructions to germinate and plant outdoors immediately with good weather conditions and grown and shared amongst friends and neighbors.One of My bucket list wish was always to go to every state plant a bean and walk off never knowing if it popped or it grows into a giant tree and someone just happens on it never knowing the story but a potential to begin someone elseā€™s finding a gnarly ass cannabis plant with the dream that it was as legal as tomatos.The notification letters will be printed on giant RAW rolling papers similar to the giant paper in the Big Bambi album with organic ink and consumed with cannabis to safeguard such documents of this highly classified mission.

10 Likes

I gave my lil brother my seed vault codeā€¦ and gave him my log info for Overgrowā€¦ just in caseā€¦ May the GODS forbid! Long life to live. BUTā€¦

Chance favors the prepared mind.

All you OGs will have a BIG say in what and where my vault goes.

Love & Light ā˜† DJSF

19 Likes

Itā€™s been so long since Iā€™ve logged in Iā€™m not even 100% sure of my own credentials at this point.

As for my next of kin they probably think Iā€™m checking the weather right now.

12 Likes

Same here! :rofl:

:green_heart: :seedling:

3 Likes

My plan, and my son knows it, unless he wants them for himself, is to go find a nice field and spread them. Let them all go feral again. I donā€™t have very many recognized/ professional strains in my collection(presently 167 strains) so I donā€™t think I have anything not already floating around in the world. Should I get some of the more legendary strains I might have to get specific, but right now itā€™s ā€œFREEDOM!!!ā€

6 Likes

Have just been discussing this amongst a few good friends. I have been making an extremely detailed description of my collection in two different books and on computer, also signifying heirloom, landrace and just extremely valuable or rare. I have a couple ideas of what to do with themā€¦. 1- donate somewhere willing to pass them out properly and ensure the real gems are preserved. 2- let my sons try and sell them or carry on tradition as they see fit. If neither fully has the bug in the next decade or so I guess the 1st it will be. Will is a great idea though

2 Likes

Thanks for reminding me.

I used to have a letter Id keep that had instructions to divvy up my vault and send them to Bodhi, Mustafunk, and someone from my personal life.

I need to do that again for where i live now

5 Likes

Thought of this for the first time a couple months ago. On the way back from surfing, just sort of feeling that good feeling that comes with smoking after catching some fun waves. I thought to myself that if something were to ever happen to me, what would happen to the seeds? I love them so much and would want them to go to others who would steward them with a similar energy and mindset.

While itā€™s one of my favorite things, my seed collection and the hobby of collecting isnā€™t something many if any know about me. So who, and how? I would want them to go to the community somehow, free or as a fundraiser if there were a noble cause. Just get them to whoever will love them and want to share the stoke. Much love

6 Likes

Dr Bugbee?

1 Like

Iā€™ve kind of been an advocate for this for the past few years.
I know a handful of growers both online and off who I know had amazing seed collections and I often wonder if someone inheritted it all or did it get lost to the trash.
I received a stash of kinda poorly stored seed when my mentor passed a few years ago. I tried a few here and there with mixed results but need to get more serious about it before I try any of those again.
I have a very detailed will which outlines with very clear instructions on handling of the seed stash and who it goes to. My nephew who is 19 now and has taken to growing and does it well inherits my entire seed stash but my grow equipment and books and personal grow logs go to my youngest son (31). If he chooses to, he is to have full access to the seed collection but he will inherit any live plants so he can continue my breeding programs with original stock.

5 Likes

Just out doing some random reading before bed.
So sadā€¦

8 Likes

I sure hope his lil bro does make an account and carry on his work, Iā€™m sure he would have been proud to see his bro carry on his legacy

7 Likes

I also thought about thisā€¦

I just saw this myself

2 Likes

Perhaps they would have value to someone. I have made some plans to disperse things like my tent. Been thinking about this quite a bit. I do think they would have more value if labeled and packaged i smaller quantities. I have changed my mind twice in the last 2 years though about who would get them or the growing clones I have. Actually need to make provisions for the clones to survive a few days beyond me first :wink: I suppose if labled and sorted could pass them to multiple people more easily in the case of seeds and ensure that the mission of overgrowā€™ing continues in posterum

Enjoy it while you got it.

4 Likes

Same instructions to my daughter

2 Likes