Does pollen donor affect seed morphology?

We’ve all seen different sized and different shaped seeds. With speckles or stripes, against a gray blue background, or a nice even dark chocolate color, or a deep mahogany.

My question is, will a female plant produce identical seeds regardless of the male plant? Is it possible, across any plant you can think of, that the male plant can change the morphology of the seed of the ovule it impregnates?

7 Likes

If I remember right, Chimera said the seeds always reflect the mother that made them, which makes sense to me at least as far as seed size and shape will reflect the morphology of the calyxes in which they’re grown. All of my indica-dom mothers produce fat seeds regardless of the father, and similarly my Haze mother always produced tiny seeds regardless of the father, for whatever that’s worth. My Sweet Tooth mother always produced seeds with the same distinct type of striped pattern too, now that I think of it.

5 Likes

one of the things always disturbed me…Columbian seeds back in the '70s were fat. Particularly could contrast with strains back then that were generally Mexican or Jamaican. The former were smaller and the latter about the same if not larger. The smallest I remember till I saw a ‘fem’ seed was Acapulco Gold

Not sure it makes enough difference with male size to make the mental effort. It’s not like the girls have a size preference? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Do they?

1 Like

Oh man could you imagine, a room full of female plants with 2 males, one male with huge clusters and another with small pollen sacks and all the females are just leaning hard to the one with the large clusters while the one with small pollen sacks droops with sadness in the corner. Lol.

3 Likes