Drill talk (corded vs cordless)

Bought a Dewalt cordless 18v drill and saw back in 06-07 an now this year two batteries died. And the last time I used the drill which was a week ago, I seen sparks coming out the vents towards the rear of the drill while mixing paint. They lasted a while but think it’s time to look for somethin else or look into buying the 20v series

2 Likes

I have dropped my DeWalt from the top of a barn and the housing split a little but still work and yes one battery is dead and another doesn’t hold as long but, as they were used so much I am happy. My daughter bought me a double pack for Christmas in '13 than my Dad passed and I expect them to last a long time even though I charge them out in the heat and cold. I also have the Milwaukee but the batteries don’t hold a charge as well.

2 Likes

We use milwaukee stuff at work. It’s worth the extra cash for the quality of the product. My own personal tools I always buy the makita lxt range. I can’t fault either company. I’ve used cordless makita tools to drill through double skinned engineering brick walls for cable access in the past without a battery change.

4 Likes

Aldi are everywhere :laughing: same as Lidl. I’ve noticed after living abroad that they don’t sell the same products in each country. When I lived in Spain I used to buy racks of bacon ribs. They were stunning. I then moved back to the UK and I’ve been searching aldi stores for them for the past 8 years or so.

2 Likes

I can’t fault makita or Milwaukee. But I suppose the main thing to keep in mind is the frequency of use to the cost. I use 5 amp batteries in both brands. I cut 3mm (1/8”) steel angle using a Diablo brand steel demon on a 7 1/4 makita cordless circular saw. Goes through like a hot knife through butter. I was cutting a hole in Coolroom panel, which is about 1.5mm sheet metal covering either side of 50mm polystyrene, with the Milwaukee reciprocating saw and the blade actually punched holes through the other side. They got got some balls that’s for sure!

2 Likes

Sheesh you lot are fancy.

Me I have got some old corded JCB drill that I found when I moved into my house years ago…

I upgraded to a keyless chuck though I’m not a complete savage.

6 Likes

I won’t buy anything but dewalt, only powertools I know that can with stand the bs I put it through… Don’t even get me started on harbor freight lol, but if it works for you then that’s all that matters

4 Likes

This is what deals with the stuff the mill won’t. (There’s really not much it won’t)
I’ve also got a 2.2kw water cooled spindle motor and VFD inverter I need to make into something. Was gonna upgrade the Mills motor but the torque on the little 150w is more than sufficient for aluminum. Maybe a little moulding table with an adjustable bed and fence. ER20 collet is pretty much industry standard anyway.
I shouldn’t come to places like this :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Now that is what I’d call a corded drill. :grinning: Very nice. Working my way up to this level, one day… You win this thread.

2 Likes

One day mate. 5 years ago me and Mrs cola were reduced to living in a tent. You appreciate what you got when you get it. If you gotta struggle on the way :wink:

6 Likes

@anon58740919 I don’t want to imagine what you’re doing to those plants in there with that thing. :grin:

1 Like