Dry or fresh for salves?

Hey there!
I hope I put this in the right category!
I’ve got an outdoor grow that will soon be ready! So exciting!
I’ll be using my harvest mainly to make salve and things of the sort. Do I need to dry it first or can I use freshly harvested?
This is my first fully successful grow so I’m a little lost at this final stage process ! Photo for attention
20200914_180515|375x500

9 Likes

I suppose it will be as if you were going to smoke it. If you haven’t flushed them, the harsh and grassy flavor of Chlorophyll will remain. Hope someone more experienced on this may help you, here you can find additional info, cheers … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

Fresh buds and leaves should be used when making balms and other applicants. The fresher material will lend more non-psychoactive tinges in smell, taste, etc than dried shit sapped of its more easily destroyed terpenes and flavanoids.

3 Likes

So, you’re telling me I should be using fresh stuff for my topical things?

Dried for tinctures etc?

1 Like

In my experience, for aromatic reasons: Yes

1 Like

When I make budder i routinely use the residue as a hand moisturizer. I usually wash it off shortly after. Don’t think it gets you high or anything.

I use dry herb for my butter extraction.

As I said, the reasons for using fresh material are to do with taste/smell/etc, not psychoactivity

1 Like

I find that as long as the plant material is not in contact with the solvent for more than say, 40 minutes, that the smell is very nice and the colour is golden yellow.

All the best

1 Like

My wife makes a topical from coconut oil and shredded stems.
She thinks it is the absolute best thing for Psoriasis.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

How much do you feel topicals Ive never tried them?
Thanks

I use them for my chronic pain!
I had a bad fall when I was little and it resulted in chronic back pain that gets to 10/10 some days. I find it brings my pain down to at the most a 3/10 and that’s a level of pain I can handle, so basically topical dont get me stoned at all they just reduce inflammation and pain

3 Likes

@Lionlady I don’t think there’s any wrong answer here. Both fresh and dry will work, and I’ve used both for salves & body budders and honestly not seen much difference when using dried. You don’t lose much if you dry carefully. Treat it low & slow like the finest BBQ - low temp, high humidity, and a slow process.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I prefer to always decarb half of what I use for topicals. That way I get the best of both worlds of cannabinoids - half with no decarbed cannabinoids, half with decarbed cannabinoids - since both are important for inflammation and pain. Also, lots of people swear by using the lower stem and upper root mass for topicals - I think @ReikoX has some insight about this.

For my psoriasis, the coconut oil is the active ingredient. I can rub coco oil and it clears up in a couple weeks. I love getting high and the anti-inflammatory benefits of the ganj as I get older, so I add weed to it. :wink:

6 Likes

Ahhh this is very helpful!!! thank you!!

1 Like

Yes, I always use roots in my topicals.

4 Likes

reviving a old thread… I’ve been making a coconut oil/beeswax salve and I was curious if you’ve ever used or have experience with DSMO? I like the idea of using roots as well may have to try that out on my 4th version.

I’ve never used DMSO. Do be careful with it, it makes everything transdermal including things that are bad for you. Make sure to apply with clean hands and to wash thoroughly afterward.

2 Likes

I super low dosed this last batch I made because I was a bit nervous to use it but after feeling the immediate difference between my last salves I am a believer in it. I will take caution when using it though I did hear everything applied or on the skin will follow. Thanks!

1 Like