Dry Tent driving me crazy

Took a 4x 4 Tent, in good shape, no leaks, mummyfied it in sleeping bags for insulation. In a `10 by 10 room, backed to a window with an A/C unit in it. Slotted Tent to fit tight to window A/C unit. New unit, works well, no issue keeping tent at 60F.

Issue is humidity. Cannot keep it steady. If i leave tent be, just A/c unit going, humidity level will drop to 50 or so. Hang a wet towel in there, fluctuates between 68 and 60 F.

Bought a humidifier that “supposedly” has a reostat for humidity levels. Great size, like it’s looks, easy to fill. .Even set at 20% humidity level, and auto fan speed, tent goes to 75 in half hour. Unit is too big forthe lil tent.

Told of the “InkBirds” …but BOTH my A/C unit and the new useless humidifier are digital. When unplugged or power off, they need user input to fire back up. Tried both, neither will come back on once power is off without me touching a damn button.

The wet towel works ok, but not constant. The humidifier even set to lowest seeting is too strong. InkBird will not work on either of these, nor a timer.

Weather is changing here, getting cooler. Room is 10 by 10, can cool it to 60 with the A/c unit in window im sure. Humidifier probably work in that sized room.

Right now have 2 small plants in there on day 8 or so in a test run. 10 days or so a full tent comes down and i need to havethis sorted out.

Bueller…Bueller…what y’all got???

7 Likes

I have been using an old refrigerator with wire racks to dry my harvest in.
About 2 weeks in there and they are ready to jar.
After a week I will start a test jar. Fill it up maybe 3/4 and check Relative Humidity after a day in the jar. I aim for 62% rh in the jar.
I find it a bit more forgiving if I miss it by a day or so.
Then store the jars in the fridge and 9 months later they still smell nice.

4 Likes

Inkbird + cheap non-digital humidifier, or try to humidify the room instead of the tent with the digital one?

I had the same problem drying with a digital humidifier, sensor was way off.

3 Likes

The AC is acting as a de humidifier. If you increase your temps, your humidity should rise with it. Try and find the sweet spot and ride with it.
I would rather live with 67 degrees 57rh than 60 degrees and 50 percent. That is if you are shooting for 60/60

9 Likes

Insulate the tent so the a/c barely runs, put the sweaty humidifier in some kind of box with breathing (just buffering the air movement).

Basically a walk in fridge set on high :joy:

:evergreen_tree:

Argh! I hate that about a lot of the new appliances. You can’t just have the unit turned on and control it with a smart switch of any sort. There’s probably a way to bypass it or short circuit that, but that’s definitely not the solution for everyone.

humidify the room not the tent and you’ll be fine

6 Likes

Easy ‘Ghetto’ humidifier for the room-- fill a 5 gallon bucket with water, use a 2-spot aquarium air pump and 2 large stones in it… should do the job if the humidifier isn’t cutting it… but don’t put them in the tent-- put them in the room and use passive intake for the tent… you aren’t getting enough air exchange in there if it is ‘mummified’!!

4 Likes

Tonight I will humidify the room and open tent vents to pull some in

See how that works

3 Likes

yep-- just letting it take in what it wants thru the vents usually does it… there are dark covers you can use on the vents to block light-- we use pieces of flexi-ducting…

1 Like

Room is dark anyways open vents won’t hurt anything

1 Like

I agree try to control the room it alot easier to control a larger area. Maybe use a five gallon bucket and a yoyo to hang a towel down into the bucket kinda like a wick.

I have problems this time of year. The colder nights raise the humidity out side of my tents. It makes my wall sweat. So I have to heat up my outside area. But the my grow room sweats also.

1 Like

Very cool idea.

:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

Bucket of salt, or calcium chloride, or charcoal, will remove humidity.
Maybe the mechanicals are to powerful for a couple of plants.
Man I forget how blessed I am to have a perfect drying area, year round.

2 Likes

I have been using :arrow_double_down: for over a year now and it has worked perfect.

Air Innovations MH-701BA Ultrasonic Quiet 1.70 Gallon Cool Mist Aromatherapy Digital Humidifier with 5 Settings for Large Rooms up to 600 Sq Feet

I would have to test it again but I am pretty sure I unplug it when I am emptying the Overflow from the A/C and Dehumidifier. I Just plug it back in when I am done an it goes right back to where it was set prior to pulling the plug. It’s the same one BuildASoil uses with his Niwa grow hub which is similar principal to the Inkbird…

The RH reads differently on the MH-701BA than my other RH meters but It was pretty easy to dial in after a bit of finagling…

EDIT: Update!
When I pull the plug and plug it back in after a bit the RH Setting remains the same.

I can tell you that I worked with the RH for a bit and have it dialed in. No controller…
Like I said though, the RH reading on the Humidifier is not the same as my more accurate RH meters. I just had to figure out what reading on the MH-701BA equaled 60% humidity.

Hope the info helps!

2 Likes