Drying / Curing Issue

I harvested some bud last Monday which has been drying for a week now. I need to go out of town for 7 days on Wednesday.

My question is: Since I won’t be here to burp jars, if I put it in them, is there something I should do to insure that my crop cures properly while I am away for a week?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

SkyDog

3 Likes

If they are dry and ready for the jars now, you can put them in the jars and burp them for a few days. I would suggest using a hygrometer and getting them as close to 62% RH as possible. They should be OK I’d they maintain that level overnight.

Another option would be paper bags, they will still breathe, but slow the drying down. You may get overly crispy buds though, depending on where you are.

4 Likes

:desert: Oh…Let me tell you about the fastest quick-dry i never intended. :frowning:
Seriously thought I was “slowing” it down…heheh…whoops. 20-30% RH :confounded:

ConspiracyKush lemon-lime came out “cat-piss with hint of lemon-lime”. :unamused: Better than the “artificial banana-raw-tomato” pheno i found in MonsterCookies. :laughing: :girl: :cookie: :banana: :tomato: :thumbsdown:

i’m not gonna let that happen with the next batch… wholy-cannoli.

:evergreen_tree: :smoking:

6 Likes

seems risky to seal em up for a week at this point … i molded some bud like that b4 but thankfully it was only a 7g plant :laughing: can u bring the jars w/ you or have someone else do it?

5 Likes

Ended up removing them from the jars and putting them in brown paper lunch bags until I get back.

4 Likes

what about freeze drying

1 Like

Probably not suitable for cured bud (as you want the chlorophyll to degrade) but applicable to further processing like oil or hash. I haven’t heard of it being done at the hobbyist level.
Some folks that are processing bubble hash immediately freeze their harvest (some really good threads here going through that process).

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Why dont you hit up the head shop or hydro shop for some 62% Boveda packs? If you are just at the burping phase you should be fine to put em In jars with those as long as you slightly overshoot the size. By which I mean if you get Boveda packs sized for an ounce just jar a little bit less than that per pack and you should be fine. They regulate humidity both up and down and I’ve had good results with them.

5 Likes

2 years ago!! Update us how’d you make out? :grin:

5 Likes

Hah! I totally missed the date on the OP.

2 Likes

:rofl: :joy:
Literally crying ATM

2 Likes

His first post you lunks! :relaxed:
Let him get a couple weeks in to figure stuff out before razzing him… then it’s ‘fair game’
:call_me_hand: :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

6 Likes

LOL I was moreso laughing at all of us Canadians late at night, baked and wanting to be helpful but not really noticing that this post got auto bumped from 2 years ago :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I was definitely stoned and don’t think anyone realized it was 2 years… but i really do wonder how he made out having to be gone a week.

2 Likes

I think @Ginger_Rick had the best suggestion with bovedas I use those things religiously and they are 2 way - will dry out the material if paired well with an appropriate pack. I have a few that are good for 300g @85% RH, massive ones that keep all my rosin and hash materials level and moist. I use the 70% RH ones to keep my rosin bags moist and I keep some 62s around for smoking flower. Rather than getting them at the headshop, you can order online as well. I tend to use the less popular ones as most people are using 62s, you can find them in the headshops very easily, say you want something else, head online.

2 Likes

The thing with Bovedas; yes they are 2-way, but they will only hold so much moisture. Once they are saturated, they won’t be able to maintain the RH. Therefore the bud better be darn close to the right RH before you rely on them.

If used right, they work very well, though, IMO.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the 62s as well. I like the 67gram sizes (in 1 Qt Mason jars) as they have great capacity. As Cogitech said, it is better to get bud close first.
I accidentally dried one completely out & then figured out how to resuscitate it… Ok, it is ‘walking wounded’ with a few solid chunks still in it - but its working! :+1: :sunglasses:
‘Boost’ seems to work just as well as ‘Boveda’.
I swear the products from local dispensaries are far dryer than 62%

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I have never gotten one to that point myself, I have some that have been around for years, they eventually get grainy and stiff and this is when I notice that they aren’t very effective just before that point on. It should also be noted that I do not cure with bovedas but I do adjust/maintain/store products with them regularly. As a stop-gap I immediately thought to either throw them into the freezer or stow with appropriate bovedas

I freeze my plants live.

1 Like

That’s the proper us of them, for sure. The point I was trying to make is that their ability to absorb moisture is finite. If someone is careless and decides that their weed is “close enough” at 70% moisture and then throws in a 62% Boveda and seals the jar up - bad things will happen.

4 Likes

You are bang on there! Hate to quote myself but as we both said “with the appropriate pack” Small bumps, either way, with small quantities of bud is fine 4-5% RH on an oz in a 1 qt jar for example but when you are dealing with larger quantities even jar and burp get thrown out the window pretty quick in exchange for cure chambers and vacuum bagging.

PSA: Kids don’t cure your weed with bovedas

2 Likes