Dutchie anyone? Greandal goes to Friesland

Presented for your viewing enjoyment and hopefully eventual distribution amongst the OG community, I give you one of the original tools of Dutchdom “M33” aka Friesland Indica…(These are lifted pics of this variety, not my own.)

The subject beans, very kindly provided me by @PineTarBastard. Thank you for your patience!

This variety was literally made for my climate and even worse, supposedly will finish at 52N! I’m thinking many of us up here and in Canada will find this useful.

In they go.

81 Likes

Amazing! I am excited to see how this goes. I had some of my most formative experiences as a youth stoned out of my tree from commercially grown friesland haha. Excited to see what these plants produce with care and skill behind them! Grow some m39 next for a full nostalgia trip.

12 Likes

Oh Cool!!

I’ll be tagging along for sure.
(I smoked Friesland for years…)

Cheers
G

10 Likes

I’m looking forward to this! :grinning:

4 Likes

Me too! The more I dig around and read about it the more it appeals to me. It’s a really interesting example of how climatic selection can work.

3 Likes

You’ve got my interest piqued!

3 Likes

I’ll go back to those bits of believable info I’ve found and post it here, my apologies it didn’t occur to me to do that beforehand.

3 Likes

gonna watch this too! good luck @GREANDAL

4 Likes

Good luck on this one

3 Likes

Ohhhhh this looks like a fun one to follow along count me in. I hope they come out like the picture or even better.

2 Likes

Friesland eh?
I think I know one of the growers that worked on the whish release but I’ll have to ask him. I now he does breeding work for some canadian breeders but he keeps it on the down low. I don’t think he is a member here either.
I have over 100 of the 2017 stock and a bit less of the 2021 breeding program.
Planted some last year at a friend’s farm but we have had some differences come between us that probably won’t be mended so never got to see how they finished. I’ll run some this summer outside as I want to see if they will run to harvest in my short season. I’m at 52N, 3000ft in western canuckistan so will be interesting.
Gonna tag along for your grow this should be good! :wink:

14 Likes

Looking forward to following along

3 Likes

Ouhh this will be interesting! Good luck with the run :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Thank you everyone and welcome!

I expect this project to be ongoing throughout this year. First and foremost this is meant to be a seed run perhaps for the co-op, if not then I’m sure distribution can be worked, but fear not cuts will be taken and grown out both indoors and out.

13 Likes

BOOM :boom:

21 Likes

Here for the show and wishing you the best of luck @GREANDAL :+1::grinning:

9 Likes

Welcome OTUG! Thank you for the grower’s blessing, yours is potent!

5 Likes

Great choice of plant. Dutchy here and always looking for early strains that’ll finish in september at 51N. I’m gonna watch and wish you good luck!

5 Likes

Friesland!! What a gorgeous lady

3 Likes

Soooo…

mm

The earliest bit of information extant I have thus far found.

Looking at the whole of their catalog at the time and the way they seemed to be doing things my take is this was a happy accident that was leveraged. An Afghan that “finished” (successfully reproduced) outside in Friesland through enough generations the product quality rose to what might be expected from its progenitor in its original locale. It was tulips :tulip: from there.

Icmag is absolutely full of bizarre bs stories about every strain as I’m sure many are aware and this one is no exception. Coming on the scene when it did I’m not surprised at the lack of reliable detail, remember the political climate in those days? Also as was mentioned earlier a fuckton of Friesland and derivatives have been grown commercially in Canada since. Ask a real farmer details about how to grow his crop and see how far you get. :laughing:

Note $55 for 15 in ‘89 money! :laughing:

20 Likes