Effective THC dosage? Help me help mom. šŸ„

Iā€™d like to help my very ill mother with Cannabis(edibles, tinctures, capsules).

What is the minimum effective therapeutic dose of THC? CBD?

Ethan Russo MD on youtube(shaping fire podcast, ā€˜cannabis without intoxicationā€™) states 2.5mg is a minimum threshold, 5mg moderate, and 10mg being likely to cause psychoactivity in non-users(non-stoners).

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Not sure of the minimum, but what I did with family was I made 2mg dosage capsules and told them to start with 1 and increase by 1 each day until they noticed benefits from it.

My mother stopped at 3 pills, and now I just dose out each one at 6mg for her. Last thing I wanted was her to space out, so she took it slow.

8 Likes

10mg would be a good starting point for sure. 5mg seems like too little but in reality itā€™s always best to start small with edibles because they seem to effect everyone differently. You can always eat more if you didnā€™t get enough but once you eat too much thereā€™s no going back. Too much edible is not fun and I think too much also has the potential to turn a person away from continuing therapeutic use.

I wish you and your mom the best of luck @cannabissequoia :vulcan:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve put carboxalized product in honey for a patient. Kief works great but can put flowers in a mesh bag. She started with a smaller baby spoon and increased as necessary. Once I established a baseline for her I adjusted the amount of Kief/honey mixture to her desired strength. I make brownies too in both 50 and 100 mg doses. Not tested but off a chart on rough doses from a cooking site. Some love the 100 and some prefer the 50. Stoners for sure so maybe 20??? Some people reported a long 2-3 hours before full effect so maybe best to start small and go slow.

3 Likes

This is where I like a tincture. Easy to micro dose ant titrate up slowly. There is a small paragraph at the end of the first post my tincture thread.

7 Likes

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

My parents are virtually the only people I know who donā€™t smoke weed. :grin:

I made some brownies last summerā€¦maybe 125mg eachā€¦ and my dad had oneā€¦ODed & was high for 5 days but I ate 2 & didnā€™t feel anything. So Iā€™m not a good test candidate/labrat.

:rocket: :cake:

3 Likes

I actually made some tincture, used a certain brand name machine. It could have been that it was my first time using the machine to make tincture, first time making tincture, could have been the type of cannabis that I used. It was not the quality of the cannabis (still smoking the rest, good shit), I do not think it was the quantity of the cannabis (I used an entire ounce of Penny-Wise (decarbed to specs.), I used 2.25 cups of Everclear 151 (per directions). So, I was dumbfounded when after the machine finished doing its thing, and straining this mix, all I could feel was a littleā€¦ EVERCLEAR 151. that was all, nothing else, the machine ran all those hours, for nothingā€¦ I lost an ounce of smokeā€¦ never again!

regards,

mike28086

3 Likes

Mike I was under the impression that penny wise is almost pure cbd ? Might be why you didnā€™t get a buzzzzz

1 Like

I think your right on the money @cannabissequoia. In Colorado edibles are 10 mg standard and they floor some people so they make 5 mg for people with low tolerance. Iā€™ve seen tea that is 2mg and non smokers have told me that they didnā€™t feel any intoxicating effects from it but they felt a little boost like a cup of coffee.
Always better to start small especially if sheā€™s a little skittish. Iā€™d guess youā€™ll end up around 5-10mg. Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find the right dose in a day or two. Sorry your mom is ill. I hope the medicine helps and she gets to feeling better.

4 Likes

Is that the Magic Butter Machine? The recipe and machine doesnt make every good tincture from my understanding. My method uses the freezer and a long (two hour) soak. Then I reduce with the Source Turbo.

3 Likes

If I make tincture again, I will check back with you on that recipe of yours. Thanks for the info.

regards,

mike28086

1 Like

I make mine similar, but with a twist. I use a long at least 7 day soak on the freezer. Itā€™ll pull a lot of the chlorophyll, but honestly I find it works better when I allow my tincture yo be green and suck it up that it tastes bad. Itā€™s not being smoked or dabbed. The lipids will only help it to absorb better.

I think thereā€™s still a lot we donā€™t know about this plant and what makes it special. I mean we know that thereā€™s about 200 cannabinoids, but I can only find CBG, CBD, CBC, CBL, CBN, THC, and nothing else. Iā€™m honestly curious how polar each cannabinoid is. Some could just not mix in well from being a nonpolar molecule for all i know, but I do know that the long soak does something the quick soak Iā€™ve been told is sufficient here doesnā€™t do. Works reliably on myself and friends who all claim to have a high tolerance and no edibles ever work for them.

I honestly think itā€™s really down to if you got the method down right or fucked up making it. Sorry to be blunt, but you canā€™t waste an extraction if you got it from the plant material. If you need it thereā€™s a second wash and if you got it all the first go round you can decarb it further. Personally I prefer the old sunlight route when itā€™s still in alcohol. I use everclear 190 if it makes a difference. I donā€™t shy away from a RSO looking tincture. Iā€™m of the opinion that thereā€™s a lot more than just chlorophyll extracted when you let it soak longer. Thereā€™s something else there unless chlorophyll is psychoactive and last i checked itā€™s not.

My method is simple. Grind weed or donā€™t. You choose, but Iā€™d recommend a size of bud chunk no larger than a Crunch Berry, Kix, Reeseā€™s Puffs, or Trix(when they went oddly round instead of shaped). Iā€™ve had mileage vary with larger buds if I didnā€™t break them open to make them smaller or grind them up. Then add everclear to the top of the bud. Donā€™t add any more than that. The bud will shrink in volume and youā€™re looking at a inch after it settles. Keep below 32f and ideally no higher than 29f. Shake as often as desired. I do it 1-2x a day if I remember or have the time. Otherwise itā€™s all in everclear and the shake just mixes it all together evenly. Things will settle if thereā€™s not enough of the solvent type needed. Add some MCT oil to keep it all held together and bioavailable. Let it freeze and the MCT oil will clump. Let it. Shake until it foams. Allow it to warm up near a warm object for a day or so. Shake again and place it in the fridge until itā€™s clear and isnā€™t settling.

If you manage to escape the settling you may have not pulled enough from the bud, but each strain is different and while Iā€™d like to think that those 30% THC strains have a different total Cannabinoid count Iā€™d likely be wrong as THC isnā€™t everything. Like I mentioned there is about 200 different cannabinoids. How do we know for certain that THC is the specific cannabinoid that makes us reach certain highs from high THC strains and not another one that comes in on the THC Entourage? We donā€™t really and most of what we know is a combination of feeling and digging with science and observation. Limited by the plant being illegal.

It would be nice if we find out what each cannabinoid does. Searching strains we like would make a lot more sense. Terpenes add a lot to the effect, but there is still something that terps alone canā€™t replicate. Something Iā€™ve gotten in few strains smoked. Possibly due to not being a known or well known cannabinoid included in a terpene profile by luck when ordering terpsolate thatā€™s been distilled and not chemical extracted.vwhile it can be done properly with chemicals I canā€™t trust anyone to not commercially fuck up. Youā€™d think itā€™d be bad if you didnā€™t do it right PR wise.

Anyways outside of sheer luck finding something thatā€™s not a terpene or cannabinoid Iā€™ve had before giving a 4 hour+ high Iā€™d say that is an elusive goal.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure about pure cbd, but from what I thought I read when I was gifted these little marvels, its almost a balance of up to 15% THC and up to 15% CBD that is mostly Indica dominant. I am not looking for the buzz, wellā€¦ I am, but I mainly reaching for pain relief, and overall mental tranquility that I have sought after so much of my life. Cannabis and meditation can increase the White Noise Level that currently and has, as far back as I can recall, existed in my Mind to a point that I can ā€˜tune outā€™ many annoyances life throws my way. Both (*all) can only do so much, but together the meditation along with the cannabis has made a great change in my life.

(* Not just throwing words around here but the fine folks at this here place have made one HELL of a big difference in my views on things as well, when Iā€™m more able, I want to do more and give back more as well, thanks to everyone).

Regards,

mike28086

6 Likes

AMEN to THAT! :raised_hands:

:thumbsup:

4 Likes

I just started medicating in Dec ā€˜2018. I make edibles (capsules) with a 2 mg dose since I have insomnia. Now, Iā€™m up to a 5 mg and sleep like a baby. I used the coconut oil decarb heat/freeze/heat method to make the coconut oil capsules. Anything above 5-6 mg is way too potent for me.

3 Likes

In my case, this is Mom. Sheā€™s getting older and has arthritis issues in her hind legs. No idea what she did yesterday but she did something to bugger herself up more and sheā€™s in a bad way. Been keeping her as quiet as I can and she seems to gradually getting more mobility back, as limited as it is. I feel her pain when she is struggling to stand.

Question -, when considering CBD dosage is it advisable to take weight into account? She weighs as much as I do.

@cannabissequoia, I donā€™t mean to hijack your thread. Iā€™ll move the discussion elsewhere if it gets to deeply involved.

2 Likes

No! Itā€™s all-good & I have a dog with arthritis in all 4 corners/displasia/re-built-cyber-knees & am in the same boat there, so by all means.

Letā€™s help eachother help eachother help everyone. The OG Way. :thumbsup:

My last dog had pretty bad reactions to THC & dosing was really difficult. Iā€™m sure he got way too high too many times & didnā€™t like it but Iā€™m sure all the cannabinoids helped him live through cancer for many years.

Personally Iā€™d say as much CBD as possible is good for any living thing that isnā€™t allergic to it, but Iā€™m a Weed Fanatic & uneducated. :grin:

I applaud your consideration & encourage you to start a ā€œPets & Cannabisā€ thread if we donā€™t already have one. :ballot_box_with_check:

Feel better, doggies.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not science I guess but my friend who got me first smoking weed when I was a kid, I asked him the same thing and he said three full bowls. And I said huh? Why? And he said hey man, have three and let it be. Any less and you donā€™t get the pain relieving effect especially once tolerance has built. And any more youā€™ll plateau and need that much to get that high again. Try to smoke three bowls, per session or 24 hours. IDK about edibles and people who have asthsma or lung cancer. Seems like ingesting weed in ways other than smoking ā€œflowerā€ varies widely depending on the person.

1 Like

Hehe. Your friend sounds like me. About 4-5 times a day. :blush:

The youtube video at the top goes into this; if a person (in my case, our case?) can tolerate high THC levels, it allows a lot more terpenes, secondary cannibinoids, etc. to be delivered, increasing their therapies and entourage or combined effects. This is the crazy strain hunt for us medical usersā€¦ trying to find that perfect balance plant of feeling good without too much undesireable shit. I.e. eliminating paranoia from certain plants would help some folks a lot. :smirk:

Only makes me paranoid when I see law enforcement.

I think best would be get an ounce made of one eighth bags of different weeds. Try with the patient different weeds on different days and after a while they might form an opinion.

For my, I like indica 100% canā€™t go wrong, but thatā€™s not to say I would ever turn down sativa or hybrid weed or hash. I love it too but for another use. I makes me actually hyper and excited to get a task if I have one when I am high, but I donā€™t need it. I need indica to be normal in society and feel like a human.

If you have space to grow, maybe get a pack of mixed seeds and grow with variety.

1 Like