Emeraldgreen first thread (Part 1)

Lmao I know the feeling! I really wanted to throw the solo cups into 5 gallons but man oh man I know that would be trouble waiting to happen trying to keep them short in 5 gallons after transplant so im just hanging in there still not sure what to do lol

3 Likes

i do beef and use top round roast. my recipe is based off an 1800’s game recipe that i obtained mid 1980s.
been making it for about 40 yrs now. tweaked the original recipe to my liking in the first couple of years and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

all in good time perhapse? i can only dream about selling the recipe if i ever get this ball rolling. kinda like the famous amos of jerky instead of cookies. lol

5 Likes

You ever use moose, deer, bear for this

6 Likes

i have not. i have some venison in the freezer maybe i should give it a try. venison is such a treat and i dont get that much of it. so i like to enjoy it all by its self.

8 Likes

I’d expect more moose up there. What portion of the venison would you be looking for? Bear?
Pulled @MoBilly into the conversation :grin:

5 Likes

If it’s an older deer, the only choice to make jerky from is the back straps. IMO

8 Likes

Yes. Yes you did. Lololol :rofl:

6 Likes

Somebody say Backstrap ??:joy:

6 Likes

I’m all for backstrap with little salt, pepper and butter :drooling_face::drooling_face:. My buddy made a bear and barely soup couple years ago that was awesome

6 Likes

Won’t argue that ! When I was really into rabbit hunting we use to have rabbit backstrap stir fry ! Makes me want to try to go rabbit hunting with all the snow

6 Likes

I just want to do the eating :joy: the actual hunting not so much
I’m curious about the bear though. Seems like it would be the closest to beef, because of fat content

6 Likes

Mmm my mouth is watering! I’m not much of a hunter myself but I love cooking the food and seeing others reactions to my creations

5 Likes

@mainerJ thanks for the info brother I appreciate it!

5 Likes

mmmm reminds me of the deer jerky I made growing up with my dad. y’all getting me hungry.

4 Likes

There’s nothing like working a great rabbit hound. We used to keep mix breed Beagle and Basset hounds. That cross makes for the perfect rabbit dog. IMHO

6 Likes

The straps never made it beyond hanging the deer and skinning. usually I was taking them to the skillet soon as I cut the head off :yum:

6 Likes

PSA wiki is open for the yogi seed increase

9 Likes

@MoBilly now what parts do you use for the stew meat? Older deer that is?

4 Likes

I like to use the shoulder and flank for stew on an older deer.

5 Likes

Have you ever used the neck for anything?

3 Likes