Environment here changed

Oh my gosh! What a brilliant idea!

Damn you got me! I created two accounts to sign up for double the seeds and give myself likes. :relaxed: @LilGhostB that was me!

It has been crazy. Any other Ideas how to clean house?

11 Likes

No you didn’t… did you? :neutral_face::grimacing::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

There is a tidal wave in the opposite direction and I am close as well. The mods are well aware right now and trying to fix it but kind of late for a lot.

11 Likes

Your too funny!
:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

I see you got it moved to the private lounge. Very cool! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
:green_heart: :seedling:

3 Likes

I’ve just looked into past 7 days stats from Google and none of Free Seeds threads is in the Top 100 of our visits from Google search… (“free seeds free clones” is also precise phrase, not something people usually search for).

No influx of new users is happening at all… We’ve got about 13% month over month increase, but that is natural… It fluctuates few percent down and up each month but in the long term it is pretty steady.

That probably defats the purpose of providing the seeds to newbies… Regulars have much better access to seeds.

The Free Seeds topic was not that prominent here before it started to be used as a chat topic (and accumulating few hundreds posts per day). Its purpose is to aggregate all demand and offers (rather than ban all requests) into one topic not allowing it to spread to other areas of the forum.

OG has a lot of very generous members and there is a lot of giveaways happening (even you @Chronickyle did one :+1: ). There are quite few topics about it (here, here and here) and I can’t help but think that this helps the atmosphere here and members are generally supporting it - just check out those topics.

Nothing is easier than to mute that particular topic. The goal is not to let it spread into other areas (remember that it is forbidden to ask for free seeds in PM directly) with the hope that those members will actually start posting their journals.

I agree we should limit seed hoarders, that are asking in multiple threads for free seeds without ever participating in real discussion or starting their journals.

I’m open to suggestions on how to improve your experience and prevent any annoyance from those hoarders… Our current rules are here: Rules for Trading Post - Read before you post!

36 Likes

The thing that changed is legality in some states, back in legacy OG, everything was illegal, now everything is legal, we don’t need to hide behind the anonymously of the internet.

That’s why we have an influx of people who don’t give a crap about giving out their address because they won’t be knocked on by the feds for seeds.

Times are changing, and they are changing for the good. Yes RIU has people who join and ask for freebees, that will never stop. You need to set certian rules to stop that from happening, either set a karma # or time in.

15 Likes

The post history is the true measure. Not necessarily where they post but what they post. I looked through a few user’s posts yesterday and some basically live in the free seeds thread but their actual comments aren’t calling dibs and are just hanging out since the thread is kind of a catchall now.

Then again I saw some users who’s intent was unmistakable. EVERY single post was either dibbing, talking about dibbing, trying to sign up for seed runs or testers, or even flat out just asking for seeds- not a trade, just asking for them.

I’m always on the fence about calling them out. I’m here for the opposite of confrontation but when it’s blatantly obvious it’s really tempting.

26 Likes

Should we start a water-cooler thread? Just a spot to chill and chat? Is there one already that became disused?

13 Likes

its called the smokers lounge

8 Likes

That’s tl3 though.

2 Likes

We COULD start a lounge or chat thread or something so the free seeds and clones isn’t as prominent…

I’ve been specifically trying to be the exact opposite kind of OGer than what your describing since I got here not too long ago… Personally influxed hundreds of dollars into OGers, the server itself, just flat out giving money to people I admire on here.

I see what you’re saying though and I apologize if I’m part of your feeling this way at all, do hope to still see you around as you’re one of those folks I mentioned admiring and were a part of my warm welcome into this place.

Thanks for your time and energy @Chronickyle

16 Likes

No that’s the private lounge. Smokers lounge is public

6 Likes

Just noone has been in since April lol

10 Likes

There used to be an illegal dispensary on a major street corner near me. It used to be only for people in the know. Then word got out and there was a line out the door filled with sketchy bait ass people and underage kids. It got busted and closed for good.

I liked it better before.

I share some of your sentiments.

I’d like to add that it feels divisive too. Secret seed buys, free seeds for this demographic only. Open source, democratized, etc.

The generosity is amazing.

It’s true, it’s easy for me to say this because I have my own seed vault. I don’t want to exclude noobs.

But I really don’t like when I get PMs from people I don’t know asking for seeds because of something I posted.

I dunno. Just some thoughts.

23 Likes

Exactly… When I see this I try to PM the person asking them to stop and first start a grow journal with the seeds they probably have on their way already…

26 Likes

@toastyjakes would it be worth posting that link IN the free seeds and clones thread? Try to herd people there instead?

5 Likes

best thing to do when your new to the forum, make a grow journal. thats what i did to prove my worth :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

If the chit chat is too great and not on topic, yes.

The point of “topic specific threads” makes no sense if we’re talking about lights and fans in the free seeds thread, ya know?

12 Likes

Sadly so true, it’s really bummed me out seeing the mass exodus of longtime members either going dark and just disappearing, leaving (but letting people know) or the worry that the influx of people has brought. I know I don’t post a ton(hell I’m not sure if I’ve even finished a full grow in my journal) but do alot of lurking and reading. This place is home to me, I can’t stand actual social media so this place is my version of it. I’ve met some truly amazing people here and it kills me when I see them leave or having issues.

22 Likes