Equatorial selections

Finally realizing a long-term dream and getting fields together on the equator. If you could plant anything that you wanted which seed lines would you try outdoors along the equator?

14 Likes

I am curious about the African lines. It would be great to see some grown outdoors from start to finish. They have that exotic, unknown quality about them.

1 Like

@BreederSteve i’d be interested to know about any local landrace or heirlooms, thanks will be following along!

1 Like

Nevilles Haze would be my first choice if I had a plot on the equator.

Can’t wait to see what you do!

Stay hazed
Jake

1 Like

I’m also a fan of any Landrace genetics but I think africa might be the gold mine ! I would love to have access to several landraces in order to pollen chuck with the various landraces to make a few of my own strains based on landraces… @BreederSteve if you want to hook a brother up with some rare landrace seeds I would be eternally grateful !!! Haha… But seriously I’m happy for ya to have the perfect place to grow these sativa based landraces…
My gut tells me that Africa has the "Grail I’m looking for and hopefully one day I will find it… I would love to grow my own strain that is made up of nothing but African genetics from all over the continent , And I will call it “African Safari”!!! That is my Pipe dream anyhow!
I know you will love growing out your equatorial landraces on the Equator! Have fun, I know I would… I’m close enough to the equator to grow a lot the landraces outdoors here in sunny florida, It’s just too bad the laws are not like they are in Denver and Cali here… Perhaps one day… :peace: :vulcan:

2 Likes

I would pheno hunt on real seed company Manipuri and Kerala along with some ace/cbg old timer haze.

1 Like

What modern hybrids should I check out? Planning to try most equatorial landraces already, but I’m not really up on all the new seed lines in the world. What are your top picks that I should check out? Which of the seed companies today are doing the best job? Help me get up to speed on the scene.

1 Like

What type of hybrids do you like? Do you prefer sativa leaning hybrids or indica or a 50% 50% mix? I’m assuming that since you’re into equatorial landraces that you prefer sativa leaning hybrids perhaps…
If so you can try Ghost train Haze from Rare Dankness, Sour Diesel, Blue Dream,Green Crack,Trainwreck are some sativa’s then the hybrids of course the ever popular Girl Scout cookies,then all the OG kushes, Golden Goat I could go on and on there are so many strains. I suggest going to www.leafy.com as they have one of the largest list and descriptions of strains online.
Then there is the en.seedfinder.eu site that has a plethora of knowledge.:vulcan: Also there are so many seed company’s out there now. But for people that work with landraces as already stated Ace seeds, Cannabiogen, Real Seed Company. Then other breeders that put out good stuff Bodhi seeds, Exotic Genetics, Ocean Grown Genetics to name a few…
Ha you’re looking into the latest hybrids and I’m looking into landraces… What I would give to be able to work with some of the landraces you likely have to work with! Good luck with your endeavour I’m sure you will find what you are looking for beeing you are a “legendary Breeder” after all, I’m just a nobody that wants to pollen chuck with some landraces once I find some that are special…

1 Like

it seems like nowadays most people are breeding polyhybrids. @LED_Seedz has some excellent crosses he was seeking testers for as well as @buryseeds has 11 different X18 outcrosses he was seeking tested. I’d be curious to see how they performed outdoors at the equator!

1 Like

I’ll be happy to provide a detailed grow report, privately, to any seed contributors. I’m okay to buy any hot recommendations. Basically I want to check out as many mostly-sativa lines that would stand a chance @ 3°N, 300m altitude. I have some test sites in different zones that might favour indicas, but mostly interested in thin leaf, thin bud stuff. I have 25 acres of dripline on sandy loam ready to plant in January strictly for selections. From that selection round many new lines will evolve for different uses all adapted to the broadest tropical conditions. The selections will be extensively lab-tested for a number of attributes.
The more the merrier!

3 Likes

@BreederSteve, I have a question for you, What Landrace strains do you like the most, and which ones would you consider the most potent perhaps psychedelic in effect? I’m searching for landraces that perhaps I can use to make my own crosses and I figured that you could perhaps help given your experience. Thanks.:vulcan:

1 Like

@BreederSteve any project you’re working on is bound to be epic. Not sure if your plan for January is already set in stone, but if not, I would love to contribute. Lots of NLD, pure or nearly-pure sativa varietals, landrace/heirlooms that I’ve been sitting on because I don’t have the outdoor space to run them how they’re meant to be run, and I don’t want to ruin good seed stock by trying them indoors. Feel free to DM me if interested, I’ll get a list together for you tonight. One that I know you might like off the top of my head is the “Jamaican Sensi” that I got from a friend in JA, one of the older and well-maintained island varietals being kept alive by a couple of old Rastas in the mountains, 16-week minimum flowering time, obviously has fallen way out of favor in the modern hybridized JA market, but IMO a genetic gold mine. So excited that you’re getting back in the game!

P.S. I am a bit of a fanboy admittedly also :joy: I’m sitting on some F5 stock made from your original Blockhead release (not by me) that I might pop and work the F6 gen one of these days…

-buryseeds

4 Likes

I really love most equatorials. They all have some nice high notes.

Thanks Bud. I will DM you details. Hopefully you can come and visit them close to harvest time!

1 Like

Hola, B.S.:

Are ya goin to test the Camerun/Costa de Marfil/LibrerĂ­a seeds from Dee.? I would like any info (overall: hermaphodite presente n percentages).
And tell us somethin bout the satives of your first pic, please.

Salud y cuidate.

1 Like

Dee mentioned that he had some for me to try. I’d be happy to review those for sure.
Just to test this area prior to starting a full selection crop we tried 3 seed lines from a Colombian seed co. These fell under personal plant numbers.
Punto Rojo - zero germination
Santa Marta Gold - I can tell that they’re not pure, but the one on the far right end looked/smelled more like it. Some had some PR and MB looking phenos. A couple of really tall slow ones. No male, 1 herm.
Mango Biche - 2 females, one smelled a bit fruity, the other smelled like mulch. 4 heavy herms, no males.
The good news was that soil worked. :grin:
I will have to check the pic I posted but if I remember the foreground MB with the SMG the back row. I have a few more pics I’ll post.
In January I will be planting 25 acres for selections the winners of which will form the basis of all regional production lines for the area. I’ve never been so excited to plant a field! It will be the first time that I have a molecular geneticist to work with, and the first time that I could grow equatorials on the equator, where they belong. We will have 7 x 2.5 acre test patches in other climactic zones for further testing of the most promising specimens.
I have to register the seed that I’ll be using in January this month. Regulations…

5 Likes

Great! That sounds like a Colombian project. High CBD low THC strain only for processing? Or are you including any of your landrace genetics?

1 Like

Oops looked back at that first pic… far left is the closest SMG to SMG. Front row is SMG back row Mango Biche.
Here’s a few more.

4 Likes

We can do all cannabinoids.

1 Like

MB on the right row.
SMG on the left.

1 Like