Experience using Smart pots

Lotus, what is smart pot? Something similar to aeropots?

2 Likes

WHAT YOUVE NEVER HEAD OF SMART POTS?!?!?! omg. dude. these things are just the BEST pots in the whole world!! made out of a geo textile fabric and it allows your medium to breathe instead of having solid plastic around your pot. better then air pots big time. it causes root pruning to allow the roots to branch out more

5 Likes

Thanks for info, so is it those textile pouches?

I’ve got some samples just when I moved to aeroponics :wink: so haven’t tried those…

yessir. they are amazing.

Im not a fan of smart pots for indoor cultivation. They are too top heavy and you have to water real slow and they tend to use up water way to fast. I would rather not be more of a slave to my grow room then i already am. Outdoors though? Smart pots are a must then…

3 Likes

I like them for ease of use and cost. #10 in central ca. 10$

They seem to work good, I still use regular nursery pots, just depends on the situation. But as mentioned they are a bit of a hassle, they dry out quicker, and are harder to water correctly,… water just pours out the side of them if you water too fast. I dont think they work for every situation in the garden.

One cool thing about smart pots is I’ve used them in recirculating drip hydro. They work just fine for that, and I think the smartpot acts like a filter, it reduces the junk that ends up in the tank, almost acts like a filter. I like em better than plastics in a tray. The roots will shoot out the smarpot on the bottom eventually if you use them in hydro, that air pruning effect isnt there in a situation like that.

Smartpots for me are a consumable item. I didnt like how they were after I washed them, I just toss em.

Nursery: I go with #2 pots for moms and 3.5’ squares for clones,

Flowering: I’ve run as big as 30 gallon smart pots for soil or if its coco I’ll run 2-3 gallon. Drip hydro, in with hydroton, 2-3 gal smart pots.

The downside is that if you’re on a budget you won’t be able to afford to buy these pots.

root pouches go for like 3 bucks for 5 gals and my root pouches hold up for many many runs:)

1 Like

I have grown my biggest plants in square 6-7 gallon square pots, but they last a year and start cracking. I also hate the room that gets taken up by the ones not being used. #10 Smart pots are the next best thing and they can be folded up and put in a drawer when I am not using them. The smart pots are also cheaper than the big square pots.

1 Like

The water running out the side doesn’t matter if you water twice, which i do every time. It makes sure you don’t have dry spots. Watering is a hassle, not my favorite thing.