Expiry Dates on Cannabis Packages

Here in Canada, Shoppers Drug Mart has just recently been approved as a source to order medical Cannabis through the mail. I’ve seen several posts recently about this and it seems SDM got the shoddy end of the stick because the packaging dates were October to December 2018 !!

What to do with this over-stock of rapidly deteriorating herb. Some say make it all into hash while others say make concentrate with it. Thing is, wouldn’t regulated humidity control be an easier solution?

I won’t even mention any of the manufacturers of RH control products :weed: but there are a few & honestly, humidity control IS evaporation control. I think it’s soon to be an industry norm to cure and store with some kind of RH pack.

Our valuables are kept valuable by RH control after all. The Mona Lisa sits on a pillow inside a strictly kept 50%RH case. As climate issues increase, so do our humidity variances.

Thoughts?

4 Likes

My thought, never buy weed from Shoppers Drug Mart.

6 Likes

Agreed but many people who are buying it thru them are very senior who would never buy it unless it were dispensed this way. Ordering online is absolute horseshit for seniors. SDM is supposed to help them but I’ve heard they (like other clinics) are unable or unwilling to give much guidance due to liability issues.

Fun times in Canada … GROW YOUR OWN! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What province are you in?

I have 5 different dispensaries with 15 minutes of my hiuse, only one if which is a chain store that I won’t support…

2 Likes

Or any government approved LPs weed.

Grow your own save the money and get product that you know what’s in it and on it while producing a superior product.

I recently smoked some Space Monkey #5 with an individual that doesn’t grow and buy all the “Strongest” weed the LPs offer and he said mine was the strongest weed he’d ever smoked and started going on about how the government lies about potency. It was hilarious.

Back on topic the humidity control packs destroy the terps just completely ruins the weed. If the weed was sealed properly and kept cool like in a freezer I’ve smoked shit over 2 years old from the freezer made water hash with some of it too.

8 Likes

i’m guessing you have to be in ontario or vancouver, where black market shops are everywhere, because even if the dispensary isn’t a “chain” they are exclusively selling the major LP chain products bought from their provincial government wholesaler

grow your own and share generously with those around you

6 Likes

This isn’t a problem I have, I grow my own. This is a problem for seniors who will NEVER go to a dispensary & who will only use Cannabis with guidance from a physician. So, the number of dispensaries makes no difference. They’re also deemed illegal & yes, the seniors I’m talking about care about that.

2 Likes

Regarding potency testing, I’d love to know when they test it … before or after irradiation? And, knowing how Cannabinoids change, degrade, and evolve I wonder how accurate any of the testing is.

As for RH control “destroying” terps … I always get a kick out of the use of that word. Y’know what destroys terps? Evaporation!!! In fact, when you smell your terps, you’re smelling them evaporate & degrade. There’s a time limit on how long that will occur. RH control stops evaporation.

When the ambient air is regulated to 58 to 62%, you won’t smell the terps anymore because evaporation isn’t occurring.

In the end, every time someone says this RH control steals terps, I say I found them in my own mason jars :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ontario and the first dispensary I’ve ever been in was last summer in Toronto though I’ve been using for 18 years now. I live in Kingston and one dispensary opened up here and was shut down in about 4 days.

There’s an idea that dispensaries are everywhere but they’re really not.

Tell them to take it back for a refund. They shouldn’t have to pay 10 bucks a gram for some shitty LPs leftovers that nobody wanted 6 months ago.

Would you recommend they take expired aspirin from shopper’s? If not, what’s the difference?

Good point & one I was sort of getting at: aspirin has an agreed upon expiry date while Cannabis doesn’t.

In fact, it’s so vague as to make it acceptable to unknowing users (seniors) who have no idea that the cannabis isn’t supposed to smell like straw.

When if ever, will they/we decide on shelf life? And, can that shelf life be extended simply by adding RH control?

1 Like

Exactly. Don’t get me wrong I don’t think there would be anything wrong with weed that’s a few months old, but if we have to jump through all these regulatory hoops so should they!